Thread: tent at the gorge

Default tent at the gorge

I dont think Im going to get my pickup camper replaced this year. So was wondering if my big Alacknak tent would work anywhere at buckboard ? Last time I was there the wind was bad. I havent been in about 5 years and know some changes have been made to the camp grounds. Didnt look like traveling from Manila ever day with the check stations would be much fun. Was going late in august ---mid to 3rd week. The tent is supposed to stand 30 mile per hour wind but dont really want to test it.

No changes i the campground that I know of that would effect wind. 30 mph would do it most days, but in my experience there are quite a few days where a tent should be able to withstand sustained 50 mph winds. Had a day last August where it blew like that for 10 hours. Don't think I'll ever get wife to go back.

If you were going to use a tent, a smaller parachute would be a better approach. I've done the Gorge with a tent and it wasn't fun but I managed, heat, thunder and wind storms. But I think in your case, it would be a lot easier to use a smaller tent that can be tied off to withstand the wind.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I would make some tent pegs that go in the ground 5 feet. and a big hammer to get them down. not the kind that come with tents.

We've tented for several years there. Choosing a site that is well sheltered is key. Find a deep ravine with lots of brush that faces NorthEast...

Thats about what I figured ! Im not thinking it would be to great in a tent for a week.
    Thanks for the input you guys.

I've used tent at anvil draw and swim beach areas for years and haven't had to much of a problem if they are good quality tents. the wind can be bad at times but you can deal with it. flooding can also be a problem so do your prep work and you will be fine.