Thread: boating etiquette

Angry boating etiquette

All,

A big thank you to all that post useful information on this forum. I've loved fishing the Gorge and friends I've made there over the last few seasons. I've got to vent something. I apologize if this topic has been covered, but I didn't find it in my brief search.

Has boating etiquette been completely tossed out the window?

Two major issues I've experienced that are ongoing:

- Trolling over lines. I usually run two lead core lines. I'm getting really tired of people cutting across my wake and chewing off flashers and dodgers. It seems common sense and courtesy not to cut across someones wake when they are trolling. What am I missing here?

- Harbor courtesy. Wether its a marina, launch site, man-made or natural harbor, etiquette is no wake even when there is no sign. So many of us camp there and beach our boats in small coves that are natural harbors. Although poor form, I can understand someone anxious to go fishing and jetting out in the morning at flank speed. However, it is extremely inconsiderate and unforgivable for someone to be wake boarding, waters skiing, etc in the small coves where people are mooring and beach there boats. I've seen this over and over again at the Gorge usually multiple times per day. On those we've approached on this and others we've watched who try to promote etiquette, it seems to become and explosive argument. The violators take the attitude of "It's not your lake".

None of use want our boats rocked up on the beach, transducers damaged, etc.

Asking politely and with much respect, please maintain no wakes in areas where people are harboring boats. Have the same respect for shore fishermen who can't get on the water.

A little courtesy goes a long way.

Stepping off my soap box.

~Freshie

most people don't understand long line trolling and how it starts shallow at the boat and tapers off going deeper, that is why I use downriggers which most people understand and know they can cross with a boat with out any problems, barring they are trolling too. but most fishermen can look at a boat and tell what's going on and I watch for that. usually every one around here try's to go parallel to each other as not to cut any one off. then you have the wind drifters and jiggers to contend with. but as fisherman we are on the water at dark thirty and in by 11:00-12:00 when the wake board and jet sky guys are just waking up. I don't know if where you are from that state has a boaters training corse you have to take to be able to run your boat, but in Oregon I can tell it has helped a lot here not perfect but belter than the states I have been to with out it. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy