Thread: Wickiup

Default Wickiup

Do you want the bad news first or just the bad news. Arrived mid afternoon on Thursday got settled in at Gull Point campground. We decided to get out in the evening we headed over to the dam area and trolled for around an hour nothing graphed fish decided to take the water temp a solid 61 degrees at the surface 61 at 5 ft/ 61 at 10 ft/ 60 at 15 / 59 at 20 ft finally found 52 degrees at 50 ft, anybody knows Wickiup that impossible to troll at. Shot over to Davis Arm surface was 59 degrees 57 degrees at 30 ft trolled for another two hours nothing decided to try in the morning. We were on the water at first light trolled from the boat ramps to goose Island up the channel to the top of the Island not even a touch ,never did see a net up. My wife says Odell. I second the motion. Odell was just great. That my report take it for what its worth. The surface water at Odell was 52 degrees all the way to 40 ft then it got colder fishing was great these fish were a solid 13/14 inches. I can say there is a learning curve Wickiup fishing methods is a lot different then Odell.

Thanks for the report Mike. The water sure has warmed at Wikiup. We will be at Cresant in about three weeks. We may have to drive over to Odell for some larger fish.

Fishing has been a bit slow for sure. Hit it up Friday and it was pretty slow to start. Picked up 8 in the morning, but wind came up bad around 10:30 Headed in and sat out a rain storm and gathered wood for camp. Rain and wind died around 2 so we ran back out and the bite was pretty consistent. Put 15 more in the boat. Spinners in pink and green on the down riggers and orange hootchies on top. Saturday was slow in the morning we quit with just 7. Did get my son out for a couple hours and he did get to reel in a couple fish, then promptly fell asleep in the boat.

Sunday was a better day, slow in the morning until around 10:30, then hit a good bite, but it only lasted for an hour or so. THey finally wanted pink/white hootchies on the down rigger. But that didn't last. I think I went through at least 20 different setups, with only a couple catching more than one fish, and lots that got none. back in camp at noon with 16. Hit it for a couple hours this morning and again it was spinners on the down riggers at 16-20' and orange hootchies on top. My brother had to get running home early, so we were done at 10 this morning with 11. Was hoping to be out there and find another good bite, but didn't really happen. Hit and miss fishing for sure. No real patterns to speak of. Hoping to get back out next weekend again and keep after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Manipulator View Post
    Thanks for the report Mike. The water sure has warmed at Wikiup. We will be at Cresant in about three weeks. We may have to drive over to Odell for some larger fish.
    What is the Trick to catching them in Crescent???? I tried last year and not thing. We were at the campground on the back of the lake. That is where I fished.

I guess I will find out on the 19th. I will start by using the usual, bent sling blades with pink skeleton followed by a pink micro Hoochi 8" behind at 1.4mph, tipped with corn soaked in PC Kokanee special.

Made it back out today with my neighbor and 6 yo son. Fished hard from 7:30 - 2:30 Many gear changes and nothing hot for the down riggers. Put a few in on spinners and some pink and white hootchies 16-20'. Surface lines were consistent until around 1. Orange PPT hootchie and gold bigeye. Water was 60 when we started and 67 when we pulled out. Spent most of the time where the two arms converge and a bit downstream from there. Ended with 26 and had some tough netting errors right at the boat. Biggest were 17 1/2" and fat, small ones were 13-14". Man those things just go nuts, what a blast. Great way to spend my birthday….wife didn't even bat an eye when I told her we would be out most of the day.
    Last edited by chukardave1; 06-01-2014 at 11:29 PM.