Thread: Fish with Gary Tackle Company

Default Fish with Gary Tackle Company

Considering I just ordered $100.00 bucks worth of stuff on Friday I was throughly surprised ti find it on my desk waiting for me today!! gary met or exceeded any customer service I have ever recieved and I printed out all of his info on kokanee fishing and put it in a 3 ring binder for future referrance. The lures and dodgers look amazing and I am so looking forward to using them this week. Thanka again for an excellent product and customer service. I WILL order ALL my kokanee items from you! And thank you to this forum for the stickers!

Joe, Gary is a stand up guy, very helpful and knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile, hard to find people like him. more interested in quality than finding a way to use cheap parts to pass as 'good enough''. many people as well as me don't have any luck with his stuff until I actually listened to him on how to use them instead of how 'I' thought they should be used. good tools to have in your box. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Joe,

Gary is the "real deal". I have had the privilege of spending time talking with him at the Portland Sportsman's Show and recently at the Washington Lakes get together at Chelan. He is into two things science and quality product production. He still builds each piece, no mass production for him!

Those kokanee are fickle and the experiment is what makes them a worthy challenge. I assume you are fishing Hayden since you live in Post Falls? There sure are some nice kokes in that lake. We should be fishing up there this weekend on Saturday. I have an old Starcraft with Etec power and a Yamaha T8 kicker. Say howdy if you see me.

Tight Lines Alan

Cool. He seems like a pretty cool guy. I will either be on Hayden or Wolf Lodge on Saturday. More than likely Hayden. I will look for you as well. I have a 14 foot Mckee craft bay boat. looks like a whaler with a 60hp Johnson and a blue bimini top. Say hello as well.

I've never met Gary, but I did order some goods from him recently... It was very fast delivery and I like the looks of his products.

But what I really found useful, and why I decided to buy his stuff was his Kokanee university article on his website. Very thorough and informative info in there!
    VERY excited to use his stuff in a few weeks.

Good Morning all, have been looking at Fishing with Gary website and have found a ton of information and perhaps some useful fishing gear. I have noticed that this thread is almost a year old and some of you have stated that Gary's products were good. Does that still hold true? and would you recommend his products? any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    19Ft Alumaweld Stryker, 115 hp Suzuki, 6 hp Nissan kicker, Scotty downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldir View Post
    Good Morning all, have been looking at Fishing with Gary website and have found a ton of information and perhaps some useful fishing gear. I have noticed that this thread is almost a year old and some of you have stated that Gary's products were good. Does that still hold true? and would you recommend his products? any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I think it boils down to ones fishing style to some degree. I have friends that use Gary's stuff and catch a lot of fish. I, on the other hand, can't buy a fish with it. So, maybe I inherently do something a little different or just don't have enough confidence in it. But It doesn't produce for me as well as some other stuff. One just has to get something that looks good to them and test it. Probably why Kokanee fishermen have so much tackle.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I'm kind of in the same boat as Super D. I purchased some of his gear at a show I've tried his tackle and sorry to say it didn't work for me. But we all know every lake fishing different. Something that hot in one lake dosen't work in another, I personnel over the years have invested in doing my own stuff. I call them magic mikes I got an ego😃 I really enjoy making my own stuff every year I improve. I fell we can learn alot from fly fisherman. Matching the hatch.

My fishing buddy bought $300 worth of FWG tackle last year. He used it religiously, and has still yet to catch a fish on it. My wife and I were able to pull limits many times while he was drawing blanks. After many, many failed attempts with it, he has since hung up all of his FWG tackle. I will agree that it all comes down to where you fish and your confidence in the gear. I have seen others catch fish with his tackle, but it has never worked on my boat. Just my two cents.

I love his website but RMT dodgers work a lot better for me. but his new squids look OK. I have got a lot of Cutthroats with his Dawna's Dream: Hot fluorescent UV green spinner, but they may be going after the worm. and the RMt dodger I use.

Interesting responses for sure. I don't think I will try Gary's tackle just yet, and I will keep using the "stuff" that I have been using for awhile. Meanwhile the search continues for the "perfect" koke catching gear....lol.
    19Ft Alumaweld Stryker, 115 hp Suzuki, 6 hp Nissan kicker, Scotty downriggers.

....... Meanwhile the search continues for the "perfect" koke catching gear....lol.
    That's why several of us dabble in making our own creations. When you lay in bed at night and think about better Koke lures, it's a sign of a sick mind.

Meanwhile the search continues for the "perfect" koke catching gear....lol.
    Like SuperD mentioned some of us here take it up a notch to find the "perfect" lure. Trouble is kokes change their mind alot... it might take a few years (in my case one customized lure in particular accounted for hundreds of kokanee and the majority of our limits over around a 6 year period) but eventually the lure will loose it's effectiveness and your back where you started... trying to come up with another "perfect" lure. It's well worth the effort though... homemade creations can be deadly.

I hope no one construes this as a malicious posting. As I said, I know guys that like Gary's stuff and catch fish. I was just giving a testimony to my own experiences. Apparently, I'm not alone. I don't think Gary would have been in business for as long as he has if he didn't provide a producing product. Just trying to head off hurt feelings if someone wants to go sideways with this.

Siverbullets needs to show us this 6 yr hot lure. I can't get something to work for 6 days.

I seem to get 1 season out of a hot lure. But it has been a while since I've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    Siverbullets needs to show us this 6 yr hot lure. I can't get something to work for 6 days.
    The lure is a customized apex... sorry but my dad and i made a vow years ago to keep the exact color/design under wraps. I've shared alot of lures i've made, designed, and altered but not this one. I will say though... pay close attention to what colors work best at depth and contrast (light against dark) can be a better option than solid colors. Also, the use of holographic glitter/prism tape on lures can be extremely effective when trolling in clear water on sunny days... even down at the 40-50' depth. I've seen alot of lures only effective for year... most go from hot to cold throughout the season and some come back around in a year or two. Kokes color preferences change alot but if you stay true to the color/depth chart and work with contrast you stand a better chance imho. In my experience color choice should get darker the deeper you go and when conditions/depth dictate don't count out the use of fluorescents/holographics.

While thank you Silver Bullets I very app on your comments and theory. My long time fishing buddy is rated one of the 5 best lure painters in the U.S. I am very aware of color theory and very happy of your comments.His web site is Looney Lures I listen to hundreds of hours of color theory thanks again.

Getting back to what this thread was about i've met and talked with FWG and he's the real deal... his write-ups are a must read. I've never actually tried his products though... would rather make my own. Where i fish spinners have had their days but other lures have been more productive. Every lake is different though. My advice to you would be to give them a good workout first before deciding to buy ALL your kokanee gear from one tackle company. These fish are finnicky from lake to lake, year to year, day to day, hour to hour... a good selection of different lure types are a must.

Its like any other tackle. It works great in some waters and not so great in others. To me that's the challenge in koke fishing. Determining what they want to bite on. Day to day, lake to lake. I love it. That's my 2 cents worth.

I bought 3-System 2 Dodgers and the matching spinning lures to go with them. Shipping was fast and Gary included a free blue hoochie set up!! I cannot wait to get out and try out his gear at Wallowa Lake and Olive Lake this spring. Thanks Gary

Question

--like any lures you have to fine tune them to your situation.
    --I have found on some days my go to lures don't get a bite but I don't give up on them. I just record the day and try to figure out why they didn't work.

--I found on some days with two rigs in the water that I caught more on the FWG rig when the other rig was a spinning style lure like a willow leaf.
    --When I ran FWG rigs on both the productivity went down.
    --Maybe annoying for some true kokanee nuts... but I do also get a fair number of trout... especially on the copper series at higher speeds.
    --I often troll at higher than the 1.1-1.2 mph as targeting larger kokanee I feel they act more like trout (in the lakes that I fish...Skaha BC,)

--We have to use single barbless hooks here in many kokanee lakes so have to remove or change hooks again changes the action from what many of you will be using.

--The funny thing.... it seems that those who do not catch fish on his gear.... don't catch any fish on his gear. I gave several to a friend and for whatever reason he cannot seem to get a bite. I haven't fished with him on his boat to see what he is doing different... as I am catching using same gear I gave him. I'm not sure what the difference is.

--Got to meet with Gary at Chelan last may. Actually got to see some video of him catching fish that day on Chelan with his gear of course.
    --He is a real kokanee guy. His gear is much different that in was a few years ago. I still like and use his old sling blade style but have since had some success on his new stuff. Well it was new last year... he's always working on something.

--full disclosure here I don't want people to think this is just an infomertial.... I do sell his gear here in Canada but the 30% exchange rate this year is a killer with all USA imports. You will find his gear on my boat and I will be using it at Chelan April 15 pre fishing the derby there. I will also be using some of my own creations and a few other sponsors. I only rep for gear that I actually use myself.
    Last edited by platypus; 04-06-2015 at 12:30 AM.