Thread: Flaming Gorge, good fishing

Default Flaming Gorge, good fishing

Flaming Gorge Report

After the fiasco getting the AIS, we launched the boat and headed to Jap Island and had immediate success. We boated 5 Kokanee and Three Lake Trout. The largest Kokanee measured 21.5" and weighed 2lbs. 14oz. We used sling blades with pink skeleton trailed by a pink squid. Trolling speed was 1.4mph. The largest Kokanee was caught on Fishing with Gary dodger in pink with his pink spinner. These we trolled at 1.8mph. We tipped the hooks with chartreuse and pink Gulp Maggots dipped in Procure Kokanee special, Sweet Corn gel and Garlic plus. We caught and released 10 to 20 Kokanee each day. I just wish the retention limit was more than 3 Kokanee. Traveling 1700 miles for 3 Kokanee is a little disappointing. Tomorrow we will try for some large Lake Trout.

The wind is amazing it goes from near calm to 30mph immediately. That is one place I would not use a 14 ft open boat. When it started we would immediately head for the Marina.

We rented a slip at Buckboard and it worked out well.

Glad you got into the fish,hope it made the journey down here to fish our little pond worth it.I'm sure that you do wish the possession limit was higher. If I traveled that far to fish.I would want to take home more fish also . As a local that spends a lot of time fishing the gorge,I'm glad that the possession limit is not higher ,then what it is. With the state of Utah losing a major hatchery for kokanee(Jones hole hatchery) we will see about 800,000 less fry stocked into the lake.So I don' expect to see the limit raised anytime soon.

You said that getting your AIS was a fiasco, was curious as to what happened to make it such a pita?
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

MM,

we pretty much set up like you with the same speeds, pink gulp maggots on the hooks-we use Smelly Jelly crawdad\anise oil for our scent. I also have a sent pocket on my downrigger fish and will use smelly jelly there as well. In the average weather we will do about the same number with better days pushing past 20. 1.3 and 1.8 have been good speeds for us, but I have had years that 2.2 mph have been really good-it just depends on the action.

I too, wish we could keep a few more fish than the limit. We don't drive as far as you, our range is about 215 miles each way, but I'd sure like to see the limit raised up to maybe 4 each anyway. On the other side of the coin, I also want to Keep the Gorge the premier kokanee fishery that it is_ guess it's just a tradeoff. They are too much fun to bring in.

-MP
    Last edited by already gone; 05-12-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling

I posted the information on the AIS experience on the muscle inspection thread.

Already gone, you say you put anus oil on your lures ??? I don't want to know how you get the stuff !!!!

great now I have to clean soda off my key board lol ^^^^^

Okay-so I spelled it wrong- :)

Here's the stuff- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smelly-Jelly...-/121286003932 Third bottle from the left at the bottom-you don't want to get this stuff on your hands or on your boat gunnel or carpet!

MP
    Last edited by already gone; 05-12-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlaker View Post
    Already gone, you say you put anus oil on your lures ??? I don't want to know how you get the stuff !!!!
    LMAO , I have seen others call it anus oil before,always makes me laugh. Don't sweat it AG I think everyone knew what you meant
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    LMAO , I have seen others call it anus oil before,always makes me laugh. Don't sweat it AG I think everyone knew what you meant
    There you guys go being offensive again. LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

anise oil actually smells pretty good like black liquorish

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    anise oil actually smells pretty good like black liquorish
    I can have fun with this one too. Let me count the ways.

that's unfortunately true also

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    : ) Thanks for understanding!

MP

Quote Originally Posted by already gone View Post
    : ) Thanks for understanding!

MP
    Sorry im so uninformed...where is Jap Island, cant find it on my maps...

Jap Island is at the south end of Big Bend
    The Experiment Requires That You Continue!

On Monday I found that I could catch Kokanee on the south side of any of the coves just off of the point in the main body of the lake. The fish were nearly always in the 100 to 110 ft depth near the edge where it would start to rise. We trolled from Skunk cliffs to Jap Island trying to catch Lake Trout and caught Kokanee sporadically all the way.

Nice report Metal!!!
    As soon as Snowbird closes and we're done skiing May powder I'll be up there for some fun.
    I just bought some fish with Gary stuff and very excited to give 'er a shot. Glad they we're working for you!