Thread: Helena Valley Regulating Resevoir 2014

Default Helena Valley Regulating Resevoir 2014

I finally got out on the water this past week. Monday morning the water was at 44 degrees and I managed 3 around 14 inches, Thursday evening the water was up to 46 and I got 3 more, and Saturday the water was up to 49 and I hooked 12 and landed 6, smallest was 13, biggest was 16. Lost a couple nice ones at the boat and had one break me off. Depth was 6 - 8 feet early and 12 - 16 later in the morning. Speed was 1.3 - 1.5mph. No one color was a stand out for me, orange might have had a slight edge. Saw a lot of fish, singles and small bunches. Some of the fish mark as a blue blob, some are blue with a yellow middle, and some are a blue outline with a flaming orange middle. I have a garmin 536 with an airmar 66 transducer. Any thoughts on what I'm seeing - the reservoir only has kokes, perch and ling in it.

Went back out last night after work. Surface temp has finally hit 50 degrees. First line in the water about 5:30, and a limit of 10 between 13.5 and 15 inches in the boat by 8:30 - pretty steady action for 3 hours. I actually caught 11 when my second line hooked up just as I netted my limit fish, fortunately number 11 was hooked lightly, and vigorously swam off upon release. A spinner rig with a laquered silver blade and pink and white beads with 2 kernels of corn and a pink gulp maggot accounted for most of the fish. Somewhere around 1.4 miles per hour seemed to be the magic speed. I have always baited both hooks with as much corn as necessary to completely hide them, but after reading some "fishing with gary" advice I tried 2 kernels on the upper hook only. Overall I had more hits than usual, and a few more hits and misses than usual, but I landed every fish I hooked which was a huge improvement. Thanks Gary! I was fishing about 14 feet deep and 15 feet behind my ball trolls. The rigger that accounted for most of the fish had 2 sets of cowbell type flashers with an alabama rig with 4 blades at the end. I don't know if that was the difference, but even after going to identical setups on both riggers, the one with the alabama rig on the end continued to produce the best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koke.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	7542Went out Saturday morning. Had 6 in the boat in the first hour, 3 more the next hours then scratched for 2 hours to get my limit fish. Most on a pink apex behind a wonder bread dodger, a few on spinner rigs. Ran between 1.4 and 1.6 mph, most from 12 - 15 feet deep. Hooked 12, landed 11, kept 10, all between 14 and 17 inches