Thread: May 3,4 Buckboard

Default May 3,4 Buckboard

We put the boat in the slip at Buckboard for the season on Saturday. By the time we set everything up, It was way too windy to go out. We waited till about 6pm, headed south over by Jap Island. We were able to catch 1 and get 3 to the boat but the winds were making it very difficult to hold a course and keep fish on the line to the boat.

This morning was a different story-went out at about 8am and headed to where we had gone yesterday-last year was fantastic over there. I told my wife we needed to get fish on the deck quick to beat the wind. We went to our spot at Jap Island where we had over a dozen waypoints on our HDS 7 last year. We ran 3 downriggers at different depths. In the end, 10-13 feet was where it was all happening and it was a full Chinese fire drill. We had 4 kokes landed on the boat in about 1 hour and was looking for that last one to top it off. We lost 3-4, caught a few rainbows and then hit a triple. We got 2 to the boat-let one go, lost one and immediately put our stuff away as we had our limit and the wind was starting to come up. We pulled into our slip around 10:30-11. Then the wind really picked up and let loose around 12:30-1PM.

We were using RMT fire\ice and fusion dodgers with Christensen pink hooker squids at 10 to 15 feet down. You better hold on to your rod because these kokes were hitting our lines like the hammer of Thor and running line out everywhere. Another thing-these are the size of fish that were coming out of the water last year in late July. We caught 3-4 small bruisers that were pretty respectable. If I get a chance I put up some pics.

The thing you have to watch for is that stinkin wind! After we tied up and put everything away, we were watching some boats come in that had no control whatsoever and had to help them get into a slip-some were spinning like tops with almost no motor control. If you can get out in the morning-find a pod, you can hit them hard and fast and get off the water asap.

Another note-be aware the fish cleaning station is not running yet. We iced off todays catch immediately and filleted them at home-

MP
    Last edited by already gone; 05-04-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Nice fish, great report.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Just the thing to get me excited for our upcoming June trip to the Gorge! Those are some nice, healthy looking kokes.

Just curious how "J" Island got its name. In this day and age it seems rather inappropriate and could be offensive.

Killing it! Great post and pics! Can;t wait to get up there

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    Just curious how "J" Island got its name. In this day and age it seems rather inappropriate and could be offensive.
    briang,

I certainly don't mean it to be offensive and I don't know how it got it's name. Everyone I know who fishes up there calls it that-along with Google and Flaming Gorge maps that have it labeled-be sure to take it up with them as well along with "Squaw Hollow". I just mentioned it with where we were fishing.

From now on I won't be using it as a reference to where we were. I'll just call it Buckboard as well.

MP
    Last edited by already gone; 05-08-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Hey it all depends upon your point of reference...
    JAP - Jewish American Princess

I was going with the shape of the island looked like Japan. LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by briang View Post
    First off, don't go gettin all butt hurt over the name of a little ole island on a lake thousands of miles away from you.I have no idea how it got to be called jap island. Most of us locals call it "mac island" but I have heard it called jap island before also. The forest service has changed Holmes crossing again. It used to be called squaw hollow. Now it's called bringear's ranch ferry crossing. Just more pc bs in my opinion.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

I've lived in Green River my entire life and I've never once heard jap island called "mac island". But that's beside the point. And another thing, Squaw Hollow will forever be "Squaw Hallow"

Back in the late 80's, there was a group of Japanese guys who fished that area all the time, I would guess that's where the name came from. SQUAW HOLLOW.

Quote Originally Posted by POk3s View Post
    I've lived in Green River my entire life and I've never once heard jap island called "mac island". But that's beside the point. And another thing, Squaw Hollow will forever be "Squaw Hallow"
    Most of the people that used the term jap island,were of a older generation.Fewer and fewer people use that term now,but i don't get all butt hurt when they do use it. Squaw hollow will always be squaw hollow to me.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Just some more political correct bull $h*t. What's that got to do with fishing?

Regards, Keith

I just looked at this thread again.

My only intention was to help those who weren't catching fish somewhere to go with some pretty specific parameters. There are more than a few who know who I am at the dock. Just give me a call on channel 16 "already gone" when I'm there and I'll give you my best numbers in real time-I'm not greedy on locations-there are plenty of Kokes.

This forum and friends have helped my wife and I become a "efficient koke machine" over the last 4 years, and I will give back to anyone who asks. I also know 3-4 tackle owners that have given me some great advice and gear without giving me BS information-and I would highly recommend any of them- Rocky Mountain Tackle, Christensen Lake Shore tackle, Kokanee Creek Tackle, and Shasta.

Briang-not even worth my time. If the names offend you-go through the proper channels and get them changed. I'm just trying to help other guys get on the fish and I'll use what's' on the map to guide them there.

MP
    Last edited by already gone; 05-11-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: not worth it-

well said good fishing to everyone