Thread: Dodger sizes and colors

Default Dodger sizes and colors

Been lurking for some time. Finally got the down riggers mounted to the boat and its time to hit the water. Im wondering what are a few good dodgers to start with.looking to start with 6 or so in various colors.Selection up here is poor to say the least and ill most likely be ordering from on of the online kokanee shops.

Thanks from Beautiful British Columbia

you can't go wrong with a couple of rmt pink/silver, and bahama mama dodgers,then id do something in green, blue and it seems gold is the new hot color. I know rocky mountain tackle has a few different combo packs too.don't forget some pink and glitter hoochies. have fun
    Last edited by mtncat1; 05-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Which area you fishing BCboy? I'm from Kamloops...have a handful of new dodgers and rigging that I'm going to try out on the local lakes in the next month or two. I'll share the reports with ya.

Thanks for the replies.Looking to see if Stump still holds any. Monte lake and a few in the Cariboo region.

Attachment 7307

These work for me.

I like to make my own dodgers or recycle old dodgers with new tape. Hyperplaid, UV and tiger series are always productive.

Copy from a previous post:

Dodgers are so easy and fun to make that I end up with 100 lbs dodger bag. Here are some brass blanks I taped up recently and posted before the previous board met its demise.

One of the other things you might consider is dodger recycling. About once a year I get tired of some of my dodgers that I never put in the water so I strip them and re-tape to something I like better and will use.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

pretty sweet dodgers where do you get the tape at.

Witchcraft Tape Products
    XTackle
    EBay
    And a local tackle shop

thanks , super d I have a bunch of dodger that could use a face lift.

Thanks again for all the replies

Personally I am a big fan of Kokanee creek dodgers as well as Arrow Flash dodgers. Put Many fish in my boat this year so far.

Purchased them at Kokanee Tackle.com and Kokanee creek tackle .com

Yep, there are an awful lot of good dodgers on the market. The biggest key to success is having faith in what you are using. I probably have over 150 dodgers but only use a handful on a consistent basis. The other 100+ dodgers in the bag are simply for the days that someone reports a hot bite on something that isn't one of my standard go-to patterns.

Dave what is that in the picture that you keep your dodgers in.

It is a Cabelas bottom-bouncer storage bag
    Last edited by SuperD; 06-11-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Could you say what is more influential in getting bit, the color of the flasher or the lure color?
    Take time before time takes you

What size dodger is your go to? Still learning, have mostly 4"& 6" am I in the zone?

Clawman, I'm a believer that the most important job of the dodger is the vibration and the action imparted to the lure. Color is rather secondary. The color of the lure definitely is more critical in the category of color only. It isn't uncommon for me to leave the same dodger on all day and just rotate lures until I find one they want.

Drinkingbuddy, 5.5" slingblades are my go to dodger. Very early in the season I will play with the 4.25" size until I start dropping deeper in the water column.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Clawman, I'm a believer that the most important job of the dodger is the vibration and the action imparted to the lure. Color is rather secondary. The color of the lure definitely is more critical in the category of color only. It isn't uncommon for me to leave the same dodger on all day and just rotate lures until I find one they want.

Drinkingbuddy, 5.5" slingblades are my go to dodger. Very early in the season I will play with the 4.25" size until I start dropping deeper in the water column.

Thank you for the input, thankfully that's what I have been collecting lately. Great thread this nub needs this.

Leader length?????????????
    Do you change the length of your leader depending on size of dodger?

Aside from finish and color, are all dodgers the same shape? Seems there are two categories, Sling Blade type and all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by clawman View Post
    Aside from finish and color, are all dodgers the same shape? Seems there are two categories, Sling Blade type and all the others.
    No way. You can use all kinds of styles. Wobblers seem to be becoming popular. Silver and Gold are your metals, and UV moon glows and mylar stickers in different colors to decorate. There is a plethora of brands. Arrow Flash, SlingBlade, Rocky Mountain, Fatal Attraction, R&K. Wobblers being converted that work, are Alvin's, Brad's mini-extreme/ wobbler / extreme wobbler, Clancy's .20/ .25/ .32, Egg Wobbler, K-lure, Poulsen Cascade Big Elmer's ( same as Arrow Flash ) / Corn wobbler, Simon, ..... There's more but that's all I can think of. Kokes like that flash thump action cause it thinks there is another salmon thumping bait/(algae?) & I'm told they take what follows that action cause it pisses them off most of the time, not that they are hungry. Just natural reaction.

I know you probably just want the hot ticket item, but all these work. Plus its fun to try all this stuff. And you get a sense of pride on a self decorated dodger/wobbler.
    "The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."

http://calsportsmanmag.com/cs-exclusives/news-item5/

Here is a good read by General Zog. It kinda tells you why silver and gold work so good, especially with UV blast.

Anyone know where you can get rooster tail blades in bulk?

Try Yakima Bait Company??