Thread: can you convert a 06 honda 8hp trolling motor to electric start

Default can you convert a 06 honda 8hp trolling motor to electric start

does anybody know if you can convert a 06 Honda bf8 to electric start for a reasonable cost. I just picked one up and it had every thing I wanted minus the electric start.it does have a 6 amp altenator . it's not the end of the world if I can't but it would be nice. thanks in advance for any help

If there is a place under the fly wheel for one then the answer is yes.

yes all the mounting bosses are on the motor but I was wondering what you needed for wiring and starter , etc.

Battery leads for appropriate amperage, momentary switch with leads. And the OEM starter. This should be all you need. If you are running a lot of electrical items the 12 amp alt. would be nice. My Yamaha only has a 6 amp Alt. and it seems to keep my batteries charged. I run 2 down riggers, TR1 and 2 fish finders.

thanks but I was hoping to find someone who has done it with OE parts.

I went thru the same thing recently. I have a 1997 Mercury 9.9 kicker 4stroke. I did some enquiring about a charging kit and an electric start kit. I scored on the charge kit but struck out on the starter kit. Keeping my fingers crossed. The reason for that is my kicker is a little old now so I have hopes for a junker to show up sometime in the future. There's this company in Washington state called Seaway, I think its near Seattle, and they can find what you need.
    Try contacting Jack McDowell(jackm@sea-way.com)
    800-332-0803 ask for Jack.
    Good luck!