Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corn?

Here we go boys and girls. Response from Wyoming Game & Fish:

Dave,

You recently posted a question to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department regarding use of corn as bait.

Current Wyoming state statutes specify that "No person shall have any live fish or bait corn in his possession while fishing other than as authorized by the commission."

Prior to 2014, our fishing regulations included "Use or possession of corn while fishing is prohibited on all waters of the state." As we revised our regulations for 2014, we intended to allow use of corn on all waters of the state, so we struck this language from our regulations thinking that we were legalizing the use of corn as bait.

However, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that we've recently realized that since Wyoming statute states clearly that you cannot possess corn while fishing "other than as authorized by the commission" and since we (Wyoming Game and Fish Commission) have not specifically authorized the use of corn in our Department fishing regulations, it remains illegal.

I am currently working on some fishing regulation changes for our commission to consider for 2015 and have included specific language that states "Corn may be possessed and used as bait on all waters where fishing with bait is permitted." I don't anticipate any opposition to this change/clarification and hope that you will see this language under "Methods" in the Laws and Regulations section of our 2015 fishing regulations.

To more clearly answer your question, we only recently realized that fishing with corn is still prohibited due to Wyoming State statutory language, but we hope to legalize its use (including for use as bait for kokanee on the Wyoming portion of Flaming Gorge Reservoir) by January 2015.

Please don't hesitate to call or email me directly if you have any other questions.

--
    David Zafft
    Fisheries Management Coordinator
    Wyoming Game and Fish Department
    528 S. Adams St.
    Laramie, WY 82070
    david.zafft@wyo.gov NOTE EMAIL ADDRESS CHANGE
    Phone: (307) 745-5180 ext. 235
    Cell: (307) 760-6446
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. It is nice to get this in writing from WFG.

Well, they all better get on the same page there. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. My phone call to them told me that it was legal. I wasn't going to use it anyway, don't need to.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

that's good to know. got to love legislators though

I had indicated in response in this thread that I hoped to change the UT regulation to legalize corn as bait. My supervisor recently submitted our regional regulation changes and made a proposal to allow the use of corn, as bait, on the Utah portion of Flaming Gorge Reservoir starting in 2015. If approved this would have made the regulation consistent across the UT-WY stateline (WGFD will still proceed with changing the language so corn is officially legal in 2015). Keeping the regulations consistent as possible on this interstate water makes it easier for anglers and also the officers contacting those anglers and enforcing regulations. Unfortunately, the proposal to allow corn as bait on the UT portion of Flaming Gorge was denied by UDWR administration. I suspect many anglers will have no issue with this, but if you do and/or have further questions, please feel free to contact me at my office (435)885-3164 or email ryanmosley@utah.gov.

Thanks, Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12