Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn?

Default Corn?

I know you can't use corn on the Utah side, but I struggle to find any regs banning corn on the Wyoming side? Any thoughts?

Corn is banned on the Gorge, period.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

No corn in Wyoming or Utah!
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

That's what I figured, but I was curious. I've always used Gulp to tip my hoochies or other terminal tackle with.... anyone use anything else with success. I know this has been discussed in other posts, so maybe this doesn't need to go any further.

Before Gulp maggots, meal worms were all the rage. Then one year there was a big shortage of meal worms at the Gorge and the use of maggots was born. But meal worms used to be hot ticket. My first couple of years at the Gorge I used tiny pieces of different colored sponge.

I tried maggots in Oregon didn't have much success but maybe it was just me some guys love them/they come colored some folks call them spikes and they come different colors

Corn is no longer illegal in Wyoming. There never really was any biological reason for the ban, and you will not see any reference to corn in the 2014-2015 regulations for Wyoming....

Quote Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
    Corn is no longer illegal in Wyoming. There never really was any biological reason for the ban, and you will not see any reference to corn in the 2014-2015 regulations for Wyoming....
    how did you determine that. if you venture into Utah you can't even have corn in your boat. Generally interstate waters share all regulations

I don't know anything about Utah regulations applying to Wyoming.

All I know is that corn is no longer illegal to use as bait in Wyoming as of January 1, and there is no reference to corn in the special regulation section dealing with the Gorge.

If you are that concerned, I would call the Green River office of the WGFD and ask.....
    Last edited by Dorado; 04-03-2014 at 10:19 AM.

This could be a real game changer.

if it is legal in Wyoming do not get caught in Utah with corn they have a zero tolerance for it.and you can not possess corn while fishing in ut. just sayin. besides that I can't imagine any thing working better than what I was using last year any way .

Utah and Wyoming have made some strides to conform rules across the different borders but it isn't always the case. For example, no underwater lights in WY but fine in Utah. Spearfishing for bass is illegal in Utah from April to July or something like that but no such rule in Wyoming. Burbot were considered game fish in Wyoming until a year or two ago. So, it's plausible that Wyoming has changed it's rule on corn but I'd be suspect. I'd like to see affirmative proof that Wyoming has changed it's rule instead of just not seeing it in their guidebook any more.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

I just hung up the phone with the Wyoming game and fish in Cheyenne. I was told that as of January 1, 2014, Cornis now LEGAL in Wyoming to be used as bait. So, there ya go. Guess will see how this plays out and if it really makes a difference this year. Not sure I will be taking the Jolly green giant fishing with me! LoL

My first prediction will be that the Rainbow by catch rate is going to go way up.

Kokaholic would you cake UFG and ask them questions concerning this. I would like to know what they say. I will also send an Email to Monty the local guide to see what he has to say.

I will look into it and see what I can find out. We have a member on here named Ryno who is with the Utah fish and game sand could possibly help with some input on this topic

Hi, just wondered over here from California. I am really curious as to why corn would be illegal? What is the reasoning?

It's true, corn is now legal in WY and as far as I know UT is the last state where it is illegal. This reg change was relatively simple for WGFD, they basically just deleted it from their regulation book without promoting it publicly. I've had hopes of removing this regulation the past couple of years in UT. As someone stated, there's long been an urban legend that corn is lethal to trout, but as we know it's technically not lethal. Truth of the matter is, corn passes through fish almost undigested (like us!), offers little nutrition, and could decrease trout condition and growth if that's the only food available. As most have noted, corn is a viable and productive bait for trout, warmwater panfish, and yes- kokanee salmon. It's always DWR's and WGFD's goal to try and maintain regulation consistency across the stateline (on the Gorge) as much as possible. It makes it so much easier on anglers. There are some variations like Downrigger noted, based on state statutes or even biological differences such as the "10 bass creel limit" on the UT side and "6 bass creel limit" on the WY side. DWR staff recently submitted a proposal for a regulation change on the Gorge, to legalize corn as bait, but if approved it wouldn't be effective until 2015. So far it seems to have more support, especially from DWR law enforcement who would rather avoid these inconsistencies on the water.

Until then, I would suggest being careful not have corn in your possession in UT, even on the Gorge, until the regulation is addressed. Sorry for the confusion, Ryan

thanks for the info Ryan
    I just know stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    Hi, just wondered over here from California. I am really curious as to why corn would be illegal? What is the reasoning?
    because back in the day people were just going nuts with the stuff, they would use it for chum and literarily dump gallons of the stuff in the lakes . I don't think they ever would have had a problem with it if it was just a couple of pieces on a hook.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    because back in the day people were just going nuts with the stuff, they would use it for chum and literarily dump gallons of the stuff in the lakes . I don't think they ever would have had a problem with it if it was just a couple of pieces on a hook.
    Ah, so another case of ignorant law makers making stupid laws to keep ignorant people from doing stupid stuff.
    I thought that was just a California thing.
    Thanks.

I ink your right mtncat1, people did just that. Chummed with it poured cans of it down their ice holes etc, it was crazy.

unfortunately that's what it came to few bad apples caused these weird laws to have to be enacted , what's the old saying if a little's good a lot must be better

I used corn quite a bit this year ice fishing ( after the reg. change ) cant say it worked any better then any of the other baits I used.
    wishin I was fishin

Pro Staff: Rocky Mountain Tackle

The one thing I like about corn is it is sweet and holds scent real well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast