Thread: Guys and Gals with kicker motors

Question Guys and Gals with kicker motors

For those of you with kicker motors, what made you choose the side of the boat you mounted it on? The majority of boats seem to mount them on the port side. I chose to mount mine on the starboard side. I was just curious what others thought processes were in picking where they mounted it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I would base my decision on balancing the boat. Others would base their decision on preference of which hand they like to use.

mine was dictated by the boarding ladder placement

with my first kicker motor/boat, I wanted to use the handle extension from the drivers seat - problem was fishing by myself I tended to "lean", so on the next boat it went on the other side - I ASSUME (that might be bad?) that the dealer is setting up my new boat with the motor on the port side.....boy, I hope so....

Mine was the balance of the boat ( you know us old fat guys lol )

Mine is on the port side. Dealer didn't ask but I would have put it there anyway.

Originally there was a swim platform on starboard side of my boat. With me being the heavy weight on one side of the boat, the kicker being mounted on the port side helps with at least a 100lbs counter weight. But this only works somewhat when I'm a loner. All bets are off scale whenever I get more heavy weights in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    For those of you with kicker motors, what made you choose the side of the boat you mounted it on? The majority of boats seem to mount them on the port side. I chose to mount mine on the starboard side. I was just curious what others thought processes were in picking where they mounted it.
    my decision was made because i needed to have the tiller handle of the kicker to be far enough away from the main motor so it would not hit the main motor or the side of the boat
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

On my boat, the fuel lines, battery cables and control cables enter the transom on the starboard side of the boat. To me, it didn't make sense to have the kicker motor on the port side and having cables running everywhere. Had I put the kicker on the other side, the swim ladder would have had people climbing over cables and fuel lines.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

mine's on the port side. for weight distribution, it is opposite the batts. and when looking back it doesn't block your view ( I have a inboard jet so the main isn't there to obstruct it ether ) so I can keep an eye on my lines when sitting in the cab. also the ladder to get into the boat I put on the curb side to be able to get into the boat without standing in the road when loading/unloading or just checking things out when on the side of the road. I don't have to worry about cables I run a tr-1 but Dave makes a good point. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

My kicker is on the port side for weight distribution. My boat is an alumacraft 16.5 so not as large as yours. When I was installing my kicker ( Yamaha 9.9) I tried it on the starboard side but the boat leaned more than I liked so I put it on the trailer and moved it to the port side and that is where it is now.
    I works good for the way I fish it. I steer with the main and rest my feet on the cooler while watching my rod. I'm installing a downrigger and will prolly mount it on the port side also.
    JD

Mine is mounted on the port side also. Weight distributions was the biggest reason for mounting it there. I didn't want it on the starboard side as it would have interfered with my transducer also
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"