Thread: scents

Default scents

So, I opened my box of hoochies this morning to start organizing my tackle and almost had a heart attack. There is a layer of an oily substance at the bottom of the container and all the hoochies are drenched in the stuff. I have always tried to reduce the scent on baits I use for fishing, other than desired scents of course, so is this something I should be concerned with? I'm assuming this is some residue that leached from the rubber hoochies? How should I clean them? Any thoughts help!

I was just at the salt lake ISE and one of the speakers there recommended cleaning lures with liquid dish soap. I can't remember fi he said dawn or joy. I don't think it would mater as long as it cuts grease. I think you could put them in a dish washer container also and run them through a wash cycle

Lemon Joy is a common soap used by fishermen. Been using it for years and works great.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

its an oil so I use lemon dawn I clean all my dodgers, hoochies and spinner beads in a large bowl of dawn and warm water then rinse thourghly and dry, usually after each outing so they are ready for the next trip. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Dawn is one of the best for cutting grease. That's what I use and is recommended by others. Also keeping a rag handy to wipe down the scent off of dodgers & lures helps prevent that mess. By doing this I don't get to far involved in having to clean with the prepping for the next outing. Think rag.

Thanks for the help.... I feel much better! Any idea on where the oil may have come from? Everything was put in storage dry and clean at the end of last season and stored inside, so there shouldn't have been any extreme heat? Just curious I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter15 View Post
    Thanks for the help.... I feel much better! Any idea on where the oil may have come from? Everything was put in storage dry and clean at the end of last season and stored inside, so there shouldn't have been any extreme heat? Just curious I guess.
    Just curious... were these hoochies rigged up with plastic beads and if so are the beads still in good shape? I've has beads melt into a gooey/sticky glob from a chemical reaction between the skirt material and the plastic (mostly happens with translucent colored beads.) This has even happened to unopened hoochies still in the original packageing.
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 03-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.

for scents, gels, power bait, corn, etc I have all that in a plastic sealed ammo box so every thing is in one place and they all stand up and if any thing spills it is contained to that box. and the wife will let you keep it in the garage fridge because it is sealed and doesn't stink, my kids all call it the stinky box and know we need it when we go fishing. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

I was at the ISE show in salt lake he said he put the sent on the back of the Dodger, if the scents stay on the hoochies to long it can mess them up, can't remember how he put it.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    Just curious... were these hoochies rigged up with plastic beads and if so are the beads still in good shape? I've has beads melt into a gooey/sticky glob from a chemical reaction between the skirt material and the plastic (mostly happens with translucent colored beads.) This has even happened to unopened hoochies still in the original packageing.
    These were all unrigged; they were in the same box as a few spoons, but in separate compartments. I always scent my dodgers and just use corn or gulp to scent the hoochies. Hopefully they will all clean up and the fish won’t notice!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
    if you call jared with rocky mountain tackle he sells the correct beads for the hoochies . the are made of material that is resistant to melting.
    Last edited by mtncat1; 04-09-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liketrolling View Post
    I was at the ISE show in salt lake he said he put the sent on the back of the Dodger, if the scents stay on the hoochies to long it can mess them up, can't remember how he put it.
    I'm not the guy at the show,but i know who you are talking about,and i agree with him. I don't ever put any type of scent on any thing plastic. The plastic seems to suck up the scent and hold it in. Squids,plastic worms. etc all seem to hold the scent in the pores of the plastic.And when plastics get to hot from being inside a tackle box,they will leak out some of the scent making a mess. As concentrated as scent are to day,I think that they help to break down the plastics,so much that squids will tend to get lumpy,and the tentacles will break off easier. When plastics start to hold a scent,it's hard to use a different scent,and sometimes it might even turn off fish.If I'm using scent it only goes on the metal,makes it a lot easier to wash off.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Liketrolling,

It was very possibly me that told you about the scent on your hoochies and all plastic baits. Pro cure, along with others will slowly eat away an destroy your hoochies, beads, and even discolor or fade the colors on your dodgers and such. I recommend placing your scents on your dodger itself. This still provides for a scent pattern to be displaced in the water where your hoochie is working. This in turn allows for an easy clean off with a rag or towel of some kind and keeps your dodgers clean for your next trip. This will help you to protect your baits and dodgers looking good for your next trip. Good luck this year. Thanks for stopping by the booth at the ISE and seeing us.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Yup you want to put the scents on the dodgers. Keep it off plastic and rubber stuff (hootchies, beads, etc)

We use WD40 to clean lures and Dodgers with. Cleans off the stinky,slimmy,mess left behind by scents.

I have always just wiped everything down with a white bar type rag. Never used a specific cleaner.
    Out of morbid curiosity, do you think that lemon scented joy or wd-40 will have an effect on the bite? Wouldn't the fish smell that as well or do you think it is negligible?

That oil on the scents will remove paint even on your dodgers/either Dawn/Lemon Joy clean or soak your equipment often my fishing friend wash there quick fish every trip to remove the scent/oil. I also had an awful problem with hoochee melting from heat in the boat that's why I started tying my own tube teasers WAA LAA no more issue. I also started using a small minature piece of yarn its actually a steelhead yarn ball in between my two hooks were I APPLY MY SCENT it works awesome. I use a product called BANG its a spray can but love the scents I have great results with there scent's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    I have always just wiped everything down with a white bar type rag. Never used a specific cleaner.
    Out of morbid curiosity, do you think that lemon scented joy or wd-40 will have an effect on the bite? Wouldn't the fish smell that as well or do you think it is negligible?
    WD-40 is actually an illegal scent in many States. It actually attracts fish. If the regs say they outlaw petroleum based scents, they are usually addressing WD-40.

Simply wiping stuff off with a rag causes some to worry about residue spoiling on the lures stored in warm locations or on a boat in summer conditions.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

D- That's a good point about not getting everything off and it going bad... I will be thinking that through a bit.

I think the original WD-40 had fish oil in it. I heard that is what actually attracted the fish?

Actually it is a myth that it contains fish oil. It stands for Water Displacing 40 (the 40th attempt at the formula before they got it right). It does work good in a pinch, or to even kill all the bad scents that your trying to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by campdog View Post
    Actually it is a myth that it contains fish oil. It stands for Water Displacing 40 (the 40th attempt at the formula before they got it right). It does work good in a pinch, or to even kill all the bad scents that your trying to get rid of.

Campdog is correct! I had to hunt it down.

What a Fish story!
    Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
    Fact:
    Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

I made the mistake of putting scent on a hoochies only once, that cured me. Now the scent only touches the corn and if done properly that is enough. I also no longer use gels, way too messy and hard to clean. I look forward to trying some water based scents this year.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    I made the mistake of putting scent on a hoochies only once, that cured me. Now the scent only touches the corn and if done properly that is enough. I also no longer use gels, way too messy and hard to clean. I look forward to trying some water based scents this year.
    I used the water based scents last year by adding them to my gulp maggots. I really seemed to work great