Thread: New to Boise - Midwest Transplant

Default New to Boise - Midwest Transplant

Greetings all!

I'm a Midwest transplant, recently relocated to Boise. Fished bass and panfish most of my life. Really interested in learning to fish for Kokes, as I cook also, and love smoked salmon.

Don't have a boat, so I'm looking for reasonably-priced Koke boats/guides in the Boise area? Anyone know of any? Thanks in advance for the info.

Welcome to the boards. To help you get started, look at the Idaho board on our forum and you will see a list of Koke lakes. That might help you identify which lakes are close to you. One of them is Lucky Peak and it seems to also have a good bass population. A call to the marinas are usually good sources for the best guides to contact.

Good luck!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

welcome aboard

Welcome to the forum. You moved to a great area for kokanee fishing. I lived in Meridian for many years until I moved to Everett, Washington almost 2 years ago. Kokanee guides are hard to find in Boise. I don't know of any licensed guides. There are some great guides in Riggins, Idaho if you ever need one for steelhead or chinook salmon fishing. Check the Boise Craigslist for a used boat. I found my first 2 boats that way and received very good deals on them ( 1992 15 foot Smokercraft and also my 2005 16.5 foot Jetcraft Falcon). Lucky Peak is a great place to catch koks. I do prefer Arrowrock reservoir which is up stream from Lucky Peak. It has less boat traffic in the summer. The drive to Arrowrock is a bit rough but well worth it. I caught many limits at both places but my biggest koks have come from Arrowrock. This forum is a great place to get tips and tricks on catching these great eating fish. Good luck to you in Boise and I hope you find yourself a great deal on a boat. I got addicted to the sport after my first trip with a friend so I bought a boat and kokanee gear 2 weeks later:)
    Last edited by FiliIslander; 05-11-2014 at 10:58 AM.

If you're still looking for a boat, I'm looking for new fishing buddies. I've been in the area for about 8yrs, but haven't fished the waters on this side of the state. I plan on hitting LP/AR, as well as CJ Strike and anything else that looks promising. I've got room in the boat for 4 lines, but 2-3 would be more comfortable. Its nothing special, but I've got a fish finder, electric trolling motor, and a large enough gas tank to cruise the lake all day searching for the "right spot."