Thread: Herzog's Downrigger tip from Chelan last year.

Default Herzog's Downrigger tip from Chelan last year.

On northwest Wild Country this morning (crazy show in that they only had TV coverage for most of the show due to hockey game).

They were flying by the seat of their pants just covering tips and questions.

I shot him a question about his thoughts behind using Drop Shot hooks vs the Octopus hooks.

He then brought up something that had increased hook ups for him last year on Chelan.

He put his clip on the cable after dropping the ball 20'. His theory was that since the ball was going below the targeted fish it did not disturb them and thus they were more comfortable when his rig came through the school.

He was also running his rig 80' behind the clip.

He stated that the water is VERY clear in Chelan...and suggested trying this when fishing clear lakes.

Have you Kokanee veterans out there found that they are that spooked by the ball?

I did search the forum to see if topic had been discussed before, but was not able to find anything..

Thank you for bearing with all my questions....just trying to speed my learning curve.

Thank you again for sharing the knowledge you have.... Much of the info I have received here (and then applied) has put fish in my boat.
    Last edited by KokeRook; 02-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.

From what i've read and seen personally kokes aren't spooked by the ball at all... but of coarse every lake is dirrerent. I use the ball for attraction and use short set-backs with ball trolls... usually clip the release 4' above the ball and have the dodger trailing about a foot in back of the trolls. This seems to work best in the mornings though... once the sun is high i shed the ball trolls and let the fish decide if they want a short set-back or longer (when longer i generally never go more than 40' back (unless it's early season when fishing up high.) Short set-backs allow for tighter turns, makes the lures on each side of the boat raise and lower (which produces alot of hits) and keeps the presentation close to the ball for better depth accuracy. Also, when trolling i fish with a black box which works best with short set-backs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1144.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	6888  
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 02-22-2014 at 12:20 PM.

I don't notice the fish shying from the ball/stick weights but more from the boat especially when they are shallow. as far as set back I usually follow the 100' rule most of the time with good success. if not familiar. if you are 10' down your 90'back or 40' down 60' back both measurements add up to 100' you can make up your own measurement ratio the main thing is to be consistent so you can repeat. but if its crowed I will shorten up to keep my lines from tangling with others, also when stacking I run the top line shorter that way if the fish decides to go wide he will clear the top line because they seam to go straight up when hooked and don't dive like other fish . dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Great relpies guys. I used the 100ft rule when I started last year.

Tom down at Sportco in Fife, WA, let me in on that tip and it paid off for this rookie.

I find it interesting that every lake is different (as far as fish reaction, color, etc)...Wonder if it varies by the hatchery stock that is planted (what strain)...or if they are a "wild" strain that has a different genetic diversity.

Really enjoying learning these fish a different style of fishing (trolling) and fisheries from the river bank fishing I am used to.
    Last edited by KokeRook; 02-15-2014 at 09:06 PM.

I have fished Chelan a lot the last two years and I cant say that the fish would be spooked by the downrigger balls... We do run long set back for fishing at depth though. We are usaully fishing from 60' all the way down to 120' and i run 70 feet on my bottom lines and 50 feet on my top lines. Both would hook fish when going thru a school. I also set on in the bottom clip at about 15' just to see if the ball was spooking the fish and it stayed in the clip for about 3 mintues before a 20" chelan football had seen enough and deep throated some shoepeg. The main reason for the long set back i would think is just to get the line away from the boat. There is 50-70' of water viz in the lower basin.

I am a fan of the General Zog but sometimes he likes to over think these simple fish to catch. Chelan fish are really angry for some reason, and is probably the easiest lake I have ever fished once you find out what is on the menu.

Thank you SH360:
    I would love to go to chelan. I think I need a bigger boat before I try it. (Mine is a 14' lund.). Maybe next year I will upgrade a bit.

I got to know Bill when he worked at sportco. He taught me a lot about salmon/steelhead fishing over the years, and since then he helped me on my new kokanee obsession that started last year. But I love to learn from all willing to share and in turn love to share what I have learned if people want to know. One reason this board is so helpful.....doesn't have a lot of the extra "junk" that other fishing boards have.

I do notice that there are times he is doing things that others don't seem to do (or need to do).

When I heard him say this about hanging the ball below your clip because it scared fish I thought...."hmmmm...I wonder if the veterans on the KFF have found the same thing."

I do find it interesting that some here fish close to the ball some have far setbacks (the ball flasher does intrigue me). Tom P told me about the 100' rule when I first started. I worked for this rookie so for now I'll stick with it.

I am finding that every lake seems to be a little different...once the pattern is figured out....game on. IF they want to bite...my goal is to make them bite.
    Last edited by KokeRook; 02-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Not very scientific here but I go more by water color and clarity than anything.

Long lining could be anywhere from 65 to 150.

40 feet and below about 6 feet back if I am using ball trolls and about 15 if not.

Between surface and 40 I let the rigging trail back behind the boat until I cant see it and then hook to the release. Here is where the distance varies with water color and clarity.

If you are seeing schools then your boat is not frightening the fish and there is no reason for a long set back. Remember, if the fish are showing on the screen then they are already well behind the boat.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

DLM,
    Exactly, use a the info given and apply a good dose of common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DLM View Post
    Not very scientific here but I go more by water color and clarity than anything.

Long lining could be anywhere from 65 to 150.

40 feet and below about 6 feet back if I am using ball trolls and about 15 if not.

Between surface and 40 I let the rigging trail back behind the boat until I cant see it and then hook to the release. Here is where the distance varies with water color and clarity.

If you are seeing schools then your boat is not frightening the fish and there is no reason for a long set back. Remember, if the fish are showing on the screen then they are already well behind the boat.
    Take time before time takes you

--I use short setback when I have to fish crowded (by people not fish) areas... to avoid tangles.
    --Or sometimes with the willow leaf on the ball... I use an Apex or other small lure that has its own action clipped short distance above and behind the ball.