Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2088

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Hornet View Post
    Anyone know if you can still launch a boat up at lucky? Thinking about heading up this weekend to test some new equipment on my boat. Do koks still bite in Dec?
    You can definitely launch, the bite is off and on.

Went up last week, caught a few kokes, couple small ones, couple large one.

The trout we are catching are quite large for lucky peak. They are fat, and pretty active.

Kokes have been pretty deep, been marking a lot of them around 25-40 feet depending on the day. Catching them on the downrigger, not longlines last couple of trips.

Orange is my best producing color.

Here are a couple pics from last weeks trip.

Earlier this week no one was catching them when we went. We spent about 5 hours out there without a single bite. Others out there had the same result.

Yea, I know its the middle of December and its really cold and windy but I have this strong desire to go fishing.
    Has anyone been out recently?
    Does anybody know of anyone fishing the reservoir this time of year in past years?

I guess that I am a die hard of the worst kind!!!

Fishaholic or something like that!!!

I went out once last year about this time and then ice fished it once last year in about February. Did ok both times

Thanks for the info.
    Now I just have to pick a day without much wind and decide whether to go Anderson or Lucky Peak.
    Thanks again thebug!

So I am going to be going up to anderson this coming year, any tips?

What lures do you guys use, what colors etc.

I have heard you guys fish pretty deep at some points at anderson, some have said over 100' how do you get your presentation noticed at that level? Do UV lures work at that depth still?

I think the fish will be at about 20 to 30 ft in the spring--Try pink and try orange hoochies with a dodger or flasher at about 1-1.5 mph trolling speed-- You will catch fish with those lures. Ross

What do you recommend when you are fishing 50-100ft as the summer goes on.

Not sure how deep you can actually fish reds and oranges I believe red is like 20ft and orange is 30.

But then I hear people saying they catch them as low as 100ft without glow so that is confusing.
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 12-27-2015 at 07:11 AM.

I was catching them around the dam area at 80-100 FT with a orange Hoochie and a shasta 4" sling blade dodger. The hooks were tipped with white corn or Berkley Gulp white maggots--same setup as spring time

If Orange drops out at 30ft how are they able to see it? Was it normal, glow or uv? Do uv lures work that deep?

Here is one of the charts I use

Here is another

Last edited by DeltaDude; 12-28-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
    If Orange drops out at 30ft how are they able to see it? Was it normal, glow or uv? Do uv lures work that deep?

Here is one of the charts I use

Here is another

I dont know how they see it but they do Maybe it is the spinner on the hoochie they see

Could be the white corn, but dont know.

I want to get out and go fishing, but I want to be as productive as possible. Which means presenting them with something they are able to see.

I think it is more important to use the right color and depth with kokanee--I have used the other colors at anderson but I always catch more fish with pink and orange plus you may very well pick up a chinook with those colors

Quote Originally Posted by rem40xb1 View Post
    I think it is more important to use the right color and depth with kokanee--I have used the other colors at anderson but I always catch more fish with pink and orange plus you may very well pick up a chinook with those colors
    Yeah I agree I just have no idea how they can see those colors down there without glow. Not sure how effective uv would be at those depths. Most glows seem to last 15minutes it seems.
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 12-29-2015 at 02:37 PM.

I'm a firm believer that color matters, you have to remember are high lakes are so clear, there are 3 things to remember first water clarity, the position of the sun(angle the sun hits the water,cloudy,sunny day. Water temperatures has a big influence. Bitters 48 to 56 degrees. A kokanee looks up he see clarity of the water, the target,and angle and the sky,on a cloudy day kok are seeing grays and blacks, theory dark sky's use dark colors. Sun is up go to brighter colors, pinks,orange,etc. Water temp how many times has one fished all days and stated I fished all day threw everything I had couldn't get them to strike,It water temp. I picked up a fish hawk temp gauge. You drop it down in your body of water fishing it give you the water temp every 5 ft. I hit that magic temp. I may graph less fish but they are bitters. Phil Roberson wrote a book Why Colors Matters pick it up great reading and explains what ,when,how,color matters.Hope this may help.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
    I'm a firm believer that color matters, you have to remember are high lakes are so clear, there are 3 things to remember first water clarity, the position of the sun(angle the sun hits the water,cloudy,sunny day. Water temperatures has a big influence. Bitters 48 to 56 degrees. A kokanee looks up he see clarity of the water, the target,and angle and the sky,on a cloudy day kok are seeing grays and blacks, theory dark sky's use dark colors. Sun is up go to brighter colors, pinks,orange,etc. Water temp how many times has one fished all days and stated I fished all day threw everything I had couldn't get them to strike,It water temp. I picked up a fish hawk temp gauge. You drop it down in your body of water fishing it give you the water temp every 5 ft. I hit that magic temp. I may graph less fish but they are bitters. Phil Roberson wrote a book Why Colors Matters pick it up great reading and explains what ,when,how,color matters.Hope this may help.
    I tried looking up the book but was unable to locate it on Amazon or other online stores.

However, isn't that graph I listed above purely about 100% clear water and how color turns gray/black after it drops past that level?

So even if it were 100% clear water, light is still dwindling the further you go and colors go by the spectrum from shortest to longest wave length.

So when you have a pink lure 80ft deep, if it is just a plain lure, wouldn't it just be gray or black?

DeltaDude yes your post is right on. Try Amoto books, Phil RAbideau is the correct spelling he live here in Vancouver Wa. He is in his late 80's was a lure designer for mebbs lure's Company. If you strike out with Amoto books send me a PM I have his number the book is like 15.00 after I read and studied his book it changed the way I fish. We all catch fish,but this lets you understand WHY. How clear water can often spook fish when we use to bright a color. It explains how your blues and purples are your best color when you start fishing deep. I been making my own kokanee tackle for the last 3 yrs. I fooled with glow in the dark alot. I can't find a big difference with or without it. Its better at first light or extremely cloudy days,but after that I find no difference. As for UV sorry not a big fan, Personnelly its catches more fisherman than fish and could act the oppisite on a bright sunny day. That just my personnel feeling. On really cloudy days I go to copper wobbles and blades been a killer for me. I picked this up from the book.

I found his book on Amazon under the title: The Master Angler. Not sure it is the same one referred to. They are out of stock now, but it looks like it is available used.

Years ago I read another book called: What Fish See, by Colin Kageyama. Interesting read.

That's the one, I like yourself have read what fish see ,actually a few times, One can never learn enough about are quarry we persew.

Best wishes and tight lines to all KFF's members and families at Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

Here are couple pictures of the Polar Bear Day in Boise. It is 13th year, the Great Polar Bear Challenge is a fundraiser where brave individuals kick off the New Year by plunging into the icy waters of Lucky Peak at Spring Shores Marina on January 1st, 2016. It was 6 deg.F with 5MPH wind chill -3 deg. The water is alot warmer at 32deg.

Happy New Year Everyone.

Last edited by fish4kok; 01-01-2016 at 07:36 PM.

You guys and gals obviously had too much to drink last night! Who in their right mind would jump in 32 degree water?

People plunging into the freezing waters at Lucky Peak Reservoir for a good cause.
    The annual event Polar Bear Challenge raises money for Make-A-Wish Idaho to grant wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions and their families.
    For more info you can view at idaho.wish.org
    While I was there, didn't see any fishing boat or bank fisherman neither at Turner Gulch.

Anyone know why the spectrum boat is on the rocks?

I'll try to add a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by CrewDawg View Post
    Anyone know why the spectrum boat is on the rocks?
    There was a small accident involving the boat. waiting for the insurance company to remove it.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast