Page 29 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Welcome to the site livingoutdoors. When you say little, are we talking 12 foot aluminum with 8 horse motor or inflatable raft with oars? Just a bit of a warning, Kokanee fishing is addicting. Before you know it you will be looking at downriggers and other gear to allow you to pursue them throughout the summer. Glad to have you on board and fill free to ask any questions you might have.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Thanks, glad to be aboard. I have an old 14ft Naden aluminum boat with an old 18hp evinrude on it. I have heard Kokanee fishing can be addicting, really looking forward to getting after it. Don't think the wife is as excited as I am though, the daughter is super excited though.

Quick question

Have grandpa duty the end of May. Should I tow my boat from Bend to take my 4 and 6 year old grandsons koke fishing at either lucky peak or Arrowrock? Thanks for any advice. They love to fish but I've never had the opportunity to take them on the boat even though I've already bought life jackets for them. Oh yeah I will be taking them to Odell in central oregon in late June.

Mike
    Last edited by oldranger; 03-29-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: New info

That would be a great time to be at Lucky Peak or Arrowrock. Do you have downriggers or lead core line, as that is about the time the fish start heading to the depths. Fish will probably be at around 25 to 35 feet down by then. With this early season warm weather you will also have to deal with a few waterskiers as well. Still should be a great time for the kids.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Hi All,
    Just found this site, and I am encouraged.
    Moved here a year ago, and only got out to LP on time. Have a 20 ft Pontoon Boat with downriggers.
    Fished Kokes alot back in the day, in, i hate to say it, that state that starts with a "C". Way out of practice, but looking forward to getting back in.

Hit LP yesterday afternoon, from 2-6, the bite was slow! Two hookups, none boated, and we threw the book at em, ouch. My HDS7 took a crap on me and kept freezing so no idea if we were on them or not. The conditions, for the end of March, were awesome.

great weekend at the lake. Sat. was pretty windy, but thur, fri, and sun all beautiful. Sunday fishing was a little slow, bet there was a lot of pressure all weekend. At one point, I counted 14 boats all circling the same area. We would go out for an hour or two at a time, and it was hit and miss. We would either slay them, or get one or two. Ended up taking home 73. Now that the freezer shelf for kokes is full, time to hit up the cats and crappie to fill the white fish shelf. Then just need a couple deer and an elk and we are set.
    Did not get one chinook all weekend. Kinda odd since last weekend we got 2 nice ones in 5 hours. I did catch a 4-5 lb bull trout first thing sun morning. Beautiful fish. Wanted a pic, but i was rushing to get him back in the water. Didnt realize what it was at first, and netted it. He swam away just fine though.
    Same old same old rigs. Pink and green spinners, herring corn, 15-25 feet. 1.3-1.5 mph

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__2EF7(2).jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	7848
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

nice, figured out how to post pics. I love not having to buy fish at the store. We eat fish 2-3 times a week weather there are some in the freezer or not. This should get us threw a few months before heading back to stock up. Time for my other addiction, bass fishing :) Lowell opens in 16 days, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by livingidoutdoors View Post
    Thanks, glad to be aboard. I have an old 14ft Naden aluminum boat with an old 18hp evinrude on it. I have heard Kokanee fishing can be addicting, really looking forward to getting after it. Don't think the wife is as excited as I am though, the daughter is super excited though.
    sounds perfect for the local lakes around here. You dont have to go far from the launch to get into em. Bigger boats are nice, but can cost a fortune in gas to drag around. I would rather run around in something small and burn a gal or two of gas. But, I got the wife, dog, and 4 kids. So im stuck burning 4-6 gal a day to drag around all the weight. About ready to break down and get a nice electric motor.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad376 View Post
    Hi All,
    Just found this site, and I am encouraged.
    Moved here a year ago, and only got out to LP on time. Have a 20 ft Pontoon Boat with downriggers.
    Fished Kokes alot back in the day, in, i hate to say it, that state that starts with a "C". Way out of practice, but looking forward to getting back in.
    Welcome to the site, Crawdad. Look forward to hearing lots of successful reports from you... Mike

Way to hammer 'em, Terek. Mike

Thanks Mike,

I can't wait to get out. Fired both motors, re-spooled, gettin itchy

So far there is only one other pontoon with a down rigger set up other than me. I'm not sure if you need to get a different boat or if there may possibly be room for 3 of us.

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    great weekend at the lake. Sat. was pretty windy, but thur, fri, and sun all beautiful. Sunday fishing was a little slow, bet there was a lot of pressure all weekend. At one point, I counted 14 boats all circling the same area. We would go out for an hour or two at a time, and it was hit and miss. We would either slay them, or get one or two. Ended up taking home 73. Now that the freezer shelf for kokes is full, time to hit up the cats and crappie to fill the white fish shelf. Then just need a couple deer and an elk and we are set.
    Did not get one chinook all weekend. Kinda odd since last weekend we got 2 nice ones in 5 hours. I did catch a 4-5 lb bull trout first thing sun morning. Beautiful fish. Wanted a pic, but i was rushing to get him back in the water. Didnt realize what it was at first, and netted it. He swam away just fine though.
    Same old same old rigs. Pink and green spinners, herring corn, 15-25 feet. 1.3-1.5 mph

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V__2EF7(2).jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	607.3 KB 
ID:	7848
    Pressure? I have no idea why there would be any pressure up there at Anderson. It's such a long drive... and the Kokanee are so small... Chinook? What Chinook? I hear all the chinook got flushed out into Arrowrock.

I hope you have an outstanding season at Lake Lowell. I can't understand why Anderson is so busy this early in the season.

Oh heck,
    I have room for all 4, and the set up is nice. however, when fishing with my grand kids, or folks that are not familiar with them, I get really busy. With that in mind, I would rather just cut to 2 downriggers, and stack if i must.

Played hooky from work yesterday AM and did a quick trip. Finally got into some right as we were leaving. Not much size though.

Found 3 large schools and caught fish at 50'. Prior to that there were numerous scattered fish at 15-25'ish or so. All around Indian Creek. Seemed to be generally concentrated over the points in the 100'ish zone. Heavy on the "ish"

Gorgeous morning on the water too.

Quote Originally Posted by jumperzee View Post
    Played hooky from work yesterday AM and did a quick trip. Finally got into some right as we were leaving. Not much size though.

Found 3 large schools and caught fish at 50'. Prior to that there were numerous scattered fish at 15-25'ish or so. All around Indian Creek. Seemed to be generally concentrated over the points in the 100'ish zone. Heavy on the "ish"

Gorgeous morning on the water too.
    My wife and I put in 4 hours yesterday afternoon, mostly to enjoy the sun. We fished Canyon Creek and had no hits. We worked 10 to 35 feet down but never dropped to 50'. Water temp was 57 which is 10 degrees warmer than last year when we were doing well. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by amxerhull View Post
    Water temp was 57 which is 10 degrees warmer than last year when we were doing well. Go figure.
    X-hull - that seems like and awful high temp reading? Where was it taken? I've been showing consistent about 48 degrees on the FF, pretty much the same as the ACOE site (gotta convert):

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ftp...1_2015_03.html

57 is more than an "ish" factor! Not saying you're wrong...enough remote technology that we all cold be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by jumperzee View Post
    X-hull - that seems like and awful high temp reading? Where was it taken? I've been showing consistent about 48 degrees on the FF, pretty much the same as the ACOE site (gotta convert):

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ftp...1_2015_03.html

57 is more than an "ish" factor! Not saying you're wrong...enough remote technology that we all cold be wrong!
    You're correct, Jumper, I had a senior moment. My wife said we were seeing 47 and 48 degrees with an occasional low 50 thrown in (late afternoon). This was surface temp at Canyon Creek. Still, I think we should be hooking some fish with those temps.

I'm wondering if there is a size limit or taken limit on the Chinook ? Same limit as trout ?
    Redrider, Mtn. Home, ID

Kodiak1 received this note from IDFG. With permission, I have copied it from another forum:

"I wanted to apologize for the incorrect information I provided to you regarding your question about Chinook in Anderson Ranch Reservoir. The correct information is a follows:

The Chinook were stocked to take advantage of a large kokanee population as well as to reestablish a fishing opportunity once found in Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

We understand there is confusion regarding the current Chinook rules on Anderson Ranch Reservoir. The reason they are not addressed in the rules is that the recent stocking event occurred during the current 3-year rules cycle – which was published prior to the stocking event. Legally, Chinook fall under “other fish species” which do not have length, daily bag, or possession limits. Our hope is that folks would consider reasonable harvest – suggesting they consider Chinook as part of the general trout limit at Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

It is our intent to address Chinook harvest rules during this rule cycle. We have brought it up under the current rule scoping process and are reviewing public comments. Ultimately, Chinook fishing rules will be established Jan 1, 2016 following Commission approval.

Again, I am sorry if the incorrect information caused any inconvenience.

Donna Conrad
    Customer Service Representative
    Idaho Department of Fish & Game"

I hope people respond appropriately. Good publicity for our sport is always a plus.

Physion

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    Kodiak1 received this note from IDFG. With permission, I have copied it from another forum:

"I wanted to apologize for the incorrect information I provided to you regarding your question about Chinook in Anderson Ranch Reservoir. The correct information is a follows:

The Chinook were stocked to take advantage of a large kokanee population as well as to reestablish a fishing opportunity once found in Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

We understand there is confusion regarding the current Chinook rules on Anderson Ranch Reservoir. The reason they are not addressed in the rules is that the recent stocking event occurred during the current 3-year rules cycle – which was published prior to the stocking event. Legally, Chinook fall under “other fish species” which do not have length, daily bag, or possession limits. Our hope is that folks would consider reasonable harvest – suggesting they consider Chinook as part of the general trout limit at Anderson Ranch Reservoir.

It is our intent to address Chinook harvest rules during this rule cycle. We have brought it up under the current rule scoping process and are reviewing public comments. Ultimately, Chinook fishing rules will be established Jan 1, 2016 following Commission approval.

Donna Conrad

I hope people respond appropriately. Good publicity for our sport is always a plus.

Physion
    This is kinda what I expected for an answer. I plan on releasing any more I catch. There presence seems to be working, IE making the kokanee population a bit smaller, thus better size. I have caught around 100 so far this year and they are averaging 13-14 inches. Much better than the 7-8 inch average from 3-4 years ago. So, unless its some 15 lb wall hanger, I will release if possible. The 2 I have gotten so far swallowed the hooks, so release was not possible. It would be nice to figure out a way to target them. I would love to do some catch and release fishing after getting a few kokes in the boat next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post

Donna Conrad

Physion
    Thanks ! That answers my questions in detail.
    Redrider, Mtn. Home, ID

Ririe reservoir is at 66% and will likely not fill again this year. The fish numbers are good in the deeper water, but that water has issues with an algae bloom already, including the dam end. I have never seen this much green, this time of the year. This will be a interesting year.

Page 29 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast