Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2088

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Default Spring Shores Boat Ramp

Is the Spring Shores boat ramp still usable in low water situations. I see on the Hydromet Pacific Northwest region water graphs that the reservoir is dropping very quickly now and that it shows that that boat ramp is near the end. They aren't always accurate and some ramps stay usable even when the water levels drop below the end of the ramp. Otherwise I guess it is just the ramp by the dam that can be used?

Default spring shores

I used the ramp on Monday. There is no dock to use, but there is still concrete for your truck and boat trailer. I put in some hip waders to load up when I'm done.

Physion

We put in at Spring Shores today with a 16.5 foot outboard. There is ramp, but you really have to back in quite a ways to get enough water under your boat to float it off ... We got it done, but don't know where the end of the ramp was .. It was a bit wet, but it was also a very nice day so it didn't matter. We sort of figured that this was our last trip to Spring shores. I think Turner Gulch is steeper and will be the next choice. We pulled off this AM at the dam but could see a real "Cluster F)&(&)" over on the ramp with bunches of folks parked on the ramp and some idiot just sitting there ..... decided to go on to Spring Shores where there seems to be a bit more intelligent group of boaters... or at least more polite and respectful of other boaters.

Caught 3 nice sized Kokes and a very nice Rainbow (hooked bad so we kept it) ... right at Goose Neck bay ... all the fish right off the point there. 20 feet deep with down riggers .. flashers and green hoochie.
    16 foot Tan/Green Lowe with 50 HP Yamaha
    Almost always my wife and I together.
    Pull up and say Hi!

Default Turner Gulch Boat Ramp

Quote Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
    We put in at Spring Shores today with a 16.5 foot outboard. There is ramp, but you really have to back in quite a ways to get enough water under your boat to float it off ... We got it done, but don't know where the end of the ramp was .. It was a bit wet, but it was also a very nice day so it didn't matter. We sort of figured that this was our last trip to Spring shores. I think Turner Gulch is steeper and will be the next choice. We pulled off this AM at the dam but could see a real "Cluster F)&(&)" over on the ramp with bunches of folks parked on the ramp and some idiot just sitting there ..... decided to go on to Spring Shores where there seems to be a bit more intelligent group of boaters... or at least more polite and respectful of other boaters.

Caught 3 nice sized Kokes and a very nice Rainbow (hooked bad so we kept it) ... right at Goose Neck bay ... all the fish right off the point there. 20 feet deep with down riggers .. flashers and green hoochie.
    Do they still charging fee to launch your boat at@ Spring Shores?

We fished in LP yesterday Wed 9/28/16. It was windy in the morning and we were there about 9:30 AM, launched the boat no problem. The boat dock wasn't lay in the center of the ramp so one side is narrower that caused backup boat trailer is more challenging. When we quit fishing and were at the ramp at 3:15 PM to load the boat, woa! that boat ram was busy. Boater load and unload just try on wider side that caused jam and delay. There were more unload than load...When I got my turn to dock my boat on load side and go get my truck, there were an other boater try to unload his wav boat on a load side close to my boat, after 10 minutes then his girlfriend waiting few more minutes, she thought I'll move my truck to give her more room to go upward. There were an other boat on front of me I could go anywhere. She had enough room to squeeze it through but was worry she might scratch a nice truck , finally she drove upward. I load my boat up and I look at my watch, it took al most 25 minutes (I wait on my truck 15 minutes). Later my wife told me the guy instructed her to move my boat out so he can unload his, she told him unload on the other side, this side is for loading, then he said she should drive the boat out in the water and wait until your husband take the trailer down...She said I don't know how to control the boat, unload on the other side and load on this side...

This morning I called Park & Waterways to request their people who taking care of the temporary boat dock that need to be move to the West? about 2' then that boat dock will be more helpful. Officer said she will forward a request to personal in charge.

We caught 7 good size Kok, 1 -15" rainbout, released 2 - 13" rainbow, 3 Chinnok, 2 Squaw fish between Charcoal and Gooseneck Bay. DR 10 ~ 25'. Long line pole 1.1/2 oz lead + Ford fender + Kokabow Kesterl, 62' line. Blue/ silver dodger + pink squid and shoepeg corn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09_28_LP_KOK.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	8818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charcoal_Creek.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	8819  
    Last edited by fish4kok; 09-29-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    '92 Gray/Red Crestliner 130HP I/O Mercruiser, 9.9HP Honda kicker

Quote Originally Posted by nepetbutler View Post
    Gonna try some custom lures made by SRG lures. Orange glow/UV. I've put a sickle hook on lures and bent hook slightly too left so I can release unwanted fish. Also soaked corn in krill powder , firebrine, wizard koke powder. Heading too goose neck . If you smell bacon wave!
    It was a nice day. Got your kok limit early eh?

Quote Originally Posted by fish4kok View Post
    Do they still charging fee to launch your boat at@ Spring Shores?
    Yes, they still charge at Spring Shores, but we by the annual $10 pass with our vehicle registration fee each year so basically free after 2 visits...... Not so busy and not full of idiots. No drama loading and unloading. But it is about the end for using the ramp.
    16 foot Tan/Green Lowe with 50 HP Yamaha
    Almost always my wife and I together.
    Pull up and say Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
    Yes, they still charge at Spring Shores, but we by the annual $10 pass with our vehicle registration fee each year so basically free after 2 visits...... Not so busy and not full of idiots. No drama loading and unloading. But it is about the end for using the ramp.
    Hi and thank conservationist! I'll purchase Spring Shore annual pass next year.

Last edited by fish4kok; 10-01-2016 at 12:02 AM.

I hve been fishing out at LP for a long time, but I still don't understand you guys nick names. What is goose neck bay?
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    I hve been fishing out at LP for a long time, but I still don't understand you guys nick names. What is goose neck bay?
    It's about half way between Spring Shores and dam on west side. There are 3 big boyes that are on a point that is out of the water now.

Quote Originally Posted by mowrus View Post
    It's about half way between Spring Shores and dam on west side. There are 3 big boyes that are on a point that is out of the water now.
    I know that spot. the bouys mark shallow water. That's like a go to spot for water skiers
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Default Map

Been watchin a lot of chatter this season about waypoints/geography at LP. Here's a link with a helpful map....http://www.nww.usace.army.mil/Portal...TearOffMap.pdf
    Rod Man
    18 ft Red & Gray StarCraft w/ Merc 175 & 9.9 Kicker

Default Map

Thanks for the webpage for the map. Doesn't get any better than that, thanks again, now I can keep up with everyone

is there anywhere to put in if I am by myself or are the docks gone?

Default Turner

I put in at Turner by myself last week. There was a short push dock at the end of the ramp that had room for one boat at a time. Just be patient.

Physion

" Later my wife told me the guy instructed her to move my boat out so he can unload his, she told him unload on the other side, this side is for loading, then he said she should drive the boat out in the water and wait until your husband take the trailer down...She said I don't know how to control the boat, unload on the other side and load on this side..."

I see this a lot around here too. I think it is definitely worthwhile to teach your fishing partners (spouse, older kids, etc.) how to control the boat and drive it on to the trailer (probably easier than having them back up the trailer) so the loading/unloading process can be as expeditious as possible. I see wives and teenage kids standing around watch hubby/dad do all the work and taking twice as long as everyone else. You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution....

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaveMT View Post
    " she told him unload on the other side, this side is for loading,
    I have launched boats from California to Florida and worked for a boat dealership in my youth and god knows that many don't follow any kind of etiquette. Butt, there is no "side" for launching or recovery. Don't get me wrong, you should not be on the ramp to load/unload gear and you should make every reasonable effort to move you boat/launch vehicle off the ramp and out of traffic as soon as possible even when you are by yourself.

That said, I get tired of people telling me that the arrows at Spring Shores tell me what side to launch and what side to retrieve. All the arrows mean is to enter the launch "area" from the west and leave the launch "area" to the east. Period. If you only launched on the west side ramp and retrieved from the east side ramp 1/2 the ramp would be empty and there wold be a lot of upset people at the busiest times of day.

Google launching etiquette and you will find a lot of info.

I do want to thank all those that offer to help when I am by myself and though I may no always accept the offer because I need to practice launching by myself, I truly do appreciate the offers.

Default Boat ramp etiquette info from Ada County Parks & Waterways

We owned our boat for over 24 years. My wife was trained for so many times but she always feels unsafe to operate that boat alone. If the water is calm she might be OK but if it's windy or choppy water...Hahahaha!!! She will let it drift to the shore.

In mid '90 when we went camping at Deadwood Reservoir. We camped at at Barney campground but we launched the boat at Deadwood river. I point to her where the area of the camp, where the area of shallow to avoid and how to navigate to it. After I drove my truck back to the camping area I thought she was there before me... I went out to the shore looking for her, the boat was about 1/3 way and look like it stucked in the shallow area with a lot of tree stumps underneath. She was panic and shut off the engine and sat there... She forgot how to raise the lower unit to get out of the shallow area...Later the other fisherman gave me a ride to retrieve my boat...
    She is a very good fishing woman but never be a good captain...

I found this very helpful boat ramp etiquette info from Ada County Parks & Waterways

https://adacounty.id.gov/Parks-Waterways/Waterways

Anyhow! We fished LP yesterday, all we caught was 2 little Chinook and 4 new plan Kok. We quit early.

The dock was move in the middle of the ramp. Thank you Ada Parks & Waterways

I found this very helpful boat ramp etiquette info from Ada County Parks & Waterways

Anyhow! We fished LP yesterday, all we caught was 2 little Chinook and 4 new plan Kok. We quit early.

I stand corrected, that is the first time that I have every heard of a launch and retrieve side and I too have owned/raced/captained boats for well over 40 years.

As I mentioned, I googled boater etiquette to be sure I was not missing what I thought I knew and though I did not get Ada County to come up, of the 10 or so I pursued, that was never mentioned. That could sure gum-up the works on a busy Saturday afternoon during koke/ski season.

Not sure what you mean by middle.

Quote Originally Posted by callelk View Post
    I stand corrected, that is the first time that I have every heard of a launch and retrieve side and I too have owned/raced/captained boats for well over 40 years.

As I mentioned, I googled boater etiquette to be sure I was not missing what I thought I knew and though I did not get Ada County to come up, of the 10 or so I pursued, that was never mentioned. That could sure gum-up the works on a busy Saturday afternoon during koke/ski season.

Not sure what you mean by middle.
    Sorry! I should type the dock was moved to center of the ramp, this will have enough room on both side of the dock for loading and unloading. Below is the picture of the temporary dock in October of last year

Temporary dock almost dry too...
    Last edited by fish4kok; 10-06-2016 at 12:18 AM.

We owned our boat for over 24 years. My wife was trained for so many times but she always feels unsafe to operate that boat alone. If the water is calm she might be OK but if it's windy or choppy water...Hahahaha!!! She will let it drift to the shore.

In mid '90 when we went camping at Deadwood Reservoir. We camped at at Barney campground but we launched the boat at Deadwood river. I point to her where the area of the camp, where the area of shallow to avoid and how to navigate to it. After I drove my truck back to the camping area I thought she was there before me... I went out to the shore looking for her, the boat was about 1/3 way and look like it stucked in the shallow area with a lot of tree stumps underneath. She was panic and shut off the engine and sat there... She forgot how to raise the lower unit to get out of the shallow area...Later the other fisherman gave me a ride to retrieve my boat...
    She is a very good fishing woman but never be a good captain...

Interesting. That document says to load on the indicated side, usually the left if facing shore. I'm sorry, but I think that is just ridiculous. If two can launch and nobody wants to load, why not use both sides? I've even launched in the middle when 2 others were launching on both sides over at CJ several times. I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you are not causing problems for somebody else who cares? I agree with being courteous, ALWAYS. But why should I sit there and wait for some 2 times a year guy to get his crap together when I can launch and be gone while he's figuring out what to do next. If I'm going to be courteous, I expect the same from them and part of them being courteous is to not waste MY time because their an idiot.

Default opps

Kind of sorry that I sorta started talking about this! Common sense says get prepped out of everyone's way, wait your turn, and DO YOUR BEST to minimize your time on and off the ramp. Be patient and tolerant of others regardless of how *&^%$ing stupid they obviously are as you wonder how on earth someone that dumb could muster the wear with all to actually BUY A DAMN BOAT...not to mention the gadget to get it to the water.

I don't ever remember there being a movable dock parked in the middle of the works at LP when the water level is down. I think it is in the way and gums up the works. But I guess that I can see how it is useful for people who don't want to scratch up there boats and get muddy or have limited mobility. So I'm good with it.

Back in the good ol' days you parked on the bank, tied to a rock, and got your tow vehicle for loading. There were also about three boats using the res after Sept!

I had a real smart yellow lab that would sit on the bank pretending to hold the line while I parked or went to get the rig for loading. He couldn't load the boat or back the pickup either but he could get me a beer out of the cooler. I know this because he did one time drive the pickup across the parking lot at the truck stop. Parked it perfectly up on the curb without hitting a single person or car. Driving was not his strength. He blamed hitting the curb on the steering locking up. Fish and Feathers wouldn't give him a license and allow him a limit even though he was clearly smarter and more capable than a good portion of the people I've been dealing with at LP this season!

Default Water level

Hey I drove up to eat my lunch yesterday and was surprised to see the reservoir full to the point that the main ramp is in the water.
    Why I wonder are they draining Lucky Peak to mud flats and filling Arrowrock.
    Any way did not see any boats out and it might be a good alternative to the dog and pony show at LP.
    Going to be a nice week end might be worth the effort. Good Luck!

That's Funny!

Default Turner Launch

Sorry! I should type the dock was moved to center of the ramp, this will have enough room on both side of the dock for loading and unloading. Below is the picture of the temporary dock in October of last year

Temporary dock almost dry too...
    fish4kok, Do you think I can launch my 22ft CC at turner? because of the high rails, I need a dock to get into the boat. Thanks
    for all your posts.

Default Turner Launch

Forgot to ask, can you park your truck & trailer in the dirt along side of the paved pad. Its a long walk uphill to the parking lot?
    Thanks Kokanee Troller