Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2088

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Fished from 7 am to about 2 pm today. Very slow ... didn't see very many other boats. Finally in afternoon picked up a couple of Kokes quite a ways up the South Fork. Fished 20 feet with downriggers ... although we tried everything above and below those depths. Dodger with pink herring boan and green hoochie was the outfit to have. Nothing on dodger with pink/orange hoochies or wedding ring spinners. BUT ... a very nice day to be on the water. It's not always about catching a fish. Thanks to DRM for the advice on what to try and where to fish! Very much appreciated. My buddy had a good time and that what counts .. that and he did all the catching .. I did all the fishing!
    16 foot Tan/Green Lowe with 50 HP Yamaha
    Almost always my wife and I together.
    Pull up and say Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
    Fished from 7 am to about 2 pm today. Very slow ... didn't see very many other boats. Finally in afternoon picked up a couple of Kokes quite a ways up the South Fork. Fished 20 feet with downriggers ... although we tried everything above and below those depths. Dodger with pink herring boan and green hoochie was the outfit to have. Nothing on dodger with pink/orange hoochies or wedding ring spinners. BUT ... a very nice day to be on the water. It's not always about catching a fish. Thanks to DRM for the advice on what to try and where to fish! Very much appreciated. My buddy had a good time and that what counts .. that and he did all the catching .. I did all the fishing!
    Did you take Frank again :)

We finally found some fish between Freeman Creek and Dicks Creek. Almost every one of them was 8".

We met with the fish and game fishery people this morning and found them to be very informative. Bringing it down to simple terms (which is all I am capable of doing) this year's small fish situation is caused by overpopulation mostly the result of typical kokanee cyclical fluctuations. Last year, based on their surveys, the F&G estimated there were 100,000 two and three year olds which was a less than average population and they grew to 12" because they had lots to eat. At the same time, they also estimated that there were 2.5 MILLION! 1 year olds. Those 1 year olds are the fish we are catching this year. It is fair to guess that there was not lots of food for these fellers, hence the smaller growth rate.

It was also fascinating to hear that kokanee less than 7-1/2 inches are very difficult to catch while 8 inch and larger fish are much easier to catch. This might explain why our early trips were unsuccessful but seem to be improving as the fish hit the magical 8 inch size. With millions of these fish available, the fishing could be crazy the rest of this season, just don't expect many large fish.

I've never been up to Anderson but have wanted to go for some time. Can one pull a boat across the dam over to the elk creek launch? Is the Elk creek launch site the best site if coming up from Mountain home or is the better launch near pine? Thanks in advance.
    1985 grey and black Aquaglass Bass boat 16.5 ft 115 horse mercury.

The guys at Kokanee.com tackle shop stated that the orange gear was best this week. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    1985 grey and black Aquaglass Bass boat 16.5 ft 115 horse mercury.

thanks for the info amxerhull, havent gotten to dworshak yet, look forward to next years fish...

Yes you can cross the damn and launch right there. It's definitely a shorter drive by auto to launch at the damn.
    If you want a dock and a wider ramp, curlew near Pine is the way to go. More parking at curlew as well.

I always go to Pine. Not only is it the better launch, but as the summer progresses, the kokes will begin staging on that end. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pthept View Post
    I've never been up to Anderson but have wanted to go for some time. Can one pull a boat across the dam over to the elk creek launch? Is the Elk creek launch site the best site if coming up from Mountain home or is the better launch near pine? Thanks in advance.

I have no experience with the Pine ramp but have used the Elk Creek ramp twice in the last 3 weeks and it is fine. The concrete is breaking up in one small spot and there is about 24" hole developing in the middle on the way down but not a big deal. No problem pulling a boat across the dam for it has a signal light only allowing a single direction of vehicles. One piece of advice is to strategically park your boat trailer in a manner where you can back up straight to the ramp down to the water when you are ready to leave for the day.

The last 2 weeks there has been a tool in a wakeboard boat that parks at the top of the ramp off to the right making it very difficult for the early birds who parked off to the left of the ramp to back thier trailers out and down to the water. The first time a buddy of mine that was in a another boat left a note on his vehicle thanking him for his selfishness but it did not resonate.

orange was working well, but now they are on green. Have been doing really well, but we went up yesterday from 4pm to dark, and only got on 17" koke. We were marking a few hear and there, but no big groups. Tried pretty much everywhere and everything. Something happened to the clip on that downrigger. When I went to catch the fish, I pulled and pulled and finally broke the line. Reeled in the downrigger as fast as I could, and sure enough, the line was still clipped in. Grabbed the line, and sure enough, the fish was still on. Didn't realize how difficult it is to hand line in a large, fat koke. My dad kept missing him with the net, and he would dive and take line out of my hand. Did that 3 times then finally got him in the net. It was nice catching the fish like that, but I was more happy to get my dodger, snubber, and spin n glow back. Water was anywhere from 72f to 75f depending where you were. The one koke was at 25 feet, as well as the 4 pike minnows we caught.
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Have not been back since last Friday, but I will stick with my pink. :) I did ok with it, imho.
    06 Lowe 185. 150 HO Etec

Quote Originally Posted by metalheadgene View Post
    I have no experience with the Pine ramp but have used the Elk Creek ramp twice in the last 3 weeks and it is fine. The concrete is breaking up in one small spot and there is about 24" hole developing in the middle on the way down but not a big deal. No problem pulling a boat across the dam for it has a signal light only allowing a single direction of vehicles. One piece of advice is to strategically park your boat trailer in a manner where you can back up straight to the ramp down to the water when you are ready to leave for the day.

The last 2 weeks there has been a tool in a wakeboard boat that parks at the top of the ramp off to the right making it very difficult for the early birds who parked off to the left of the ramp to back thier trailers out and down to the water. The first time a buddy of mine that was in a another boat left a note on his vehicle thanking him for his selfishness but it did not resonate.
    Kinda funny, I described that parking job exactly the same way to my son. It's been crowded, but that's not a good place to abandon a rig for the day to get in everyone else's way.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    Fished Anderson last week for kokes and hammered 'em. Decided to head back this AM and concentrate on chinook, something I have been wanting to do. We started at Fall Creek and trolled towards the dam a ways, and then all the way back to the upper end. Stacked a cable with all kinds of tasty offerings I use in the salt, but a bit smaller. Size smaller flashers, etc. Just got it in the water and I had a good connection on the mini Brads packed with tuna. Darned if it wasn't a koke. And that was it. Kali put one pole out for kokes, and picked them up here and there, but once we got to the upper end, she started nailing them. I finally decided to join her, and we ended up with a cooler full of nice fish. The fish we caught at Fall Creek were definitely larger......don't know why. Doesn't seem to make sense, unless there is less competiton for food in that area. Every time it slowed down, we would drop down a bit and there they'd be. Best depth at 1 when we pulled out was 45'. Don't know what I was doing wrong in the chinook category. I'll try for them next year when they should be lunkers! Mike
    Mike,
    Avery and I were up there Mon-Wed this week and had similar results. We camped out on the beach at Lime Creek and had a blast playing around. We first went into the dam but soon discovered that even the areas above the dam are “day use only” so we ended up running up to Lime. Fished from Lime to Fall Creek. I couldn’t buy a king for nothing even though I was marking them on the finder. Or I was marking what I believed where chinook below the koks and about double the pixels. Anyway I tried everything I had, except for the frozen herring, and didn’t get but one descent trout on it. I would eventually switch over to kokes and join Avery in having fun. Didn’t seem to matter what one used for kokes as long as you got down to them. We’d just start the morning deep and kept going deeper as the day burned on. 34’ was our lucky go to depth and from there just chase them down. By afternoon we’d be in the forties and I even pulled one up from 60 fow. Good times and some great eating fish!

Rod

Fished Ririe 3 days this week. I Actually had to use technics that I have not used in years and never used at Ririe, but once I got it down, myself and 2 riders pulled in our limits each day. The colors changed on Wed afternoon, but otherwise we had consitant catching going on each day. Large numbers of smaller fish this year, but we did catch a few 14-16" fish. Also we caught a fair number of trout using various lures etc. Fishing is pretty good right now, but the water is algae green which makes for using more flash to get the fishes attention.

One of these days your going to find a stowaway in your boat, ME. Probably time to take a break from our watering holes here. Now it's getting too hot to sit in the boat.

Your always welcome Bduck. We will be taking a break at Ririe for a couple of weeks. Its time to start our 2 week 6 lake fishing adventure. I will keep in touch, Text. Bring the misses and camp at the house in a king size bed. You and I will live in the boat for a few day's, but we will be off the water before it gets to Hot.

Well, shoot, Rod, we probably were trolling past each other at least a couple of times. Glad you got into them. We can't give up on the Chinooks quite yet. They should be hunks next year. Say hi to Avery. Mike

Had a great week fishing out of at Falls Creek. Like Mike I tried some downsized Columbia Chinook techniques Mini Super Cut Bait behind a flasher w/dropper packed with tuna mixed with anise, shrimp, garlic. Worked great on the koks but finally lost one set to a pig that broke a 12# leader. Got to assume it was a king. Lots O' fun!! starting to see a little color so the peak may be here for the koks.
    18 ft Red & Gray StarCraft w/ Merc 175 & 9.9 Kicker

You can control your speed and provide more control in windy conditions by deploying a drift sock off each side of bow or forward gunwale with the sock approximately mid ship. secure socks with strap aft to keep them from swinging out in the turns. This set up requires more thrust and gives you greater control at slower speeds. I use this at LP when we have the pesky afternoon winds but it can also slow a big motor down. I've also seen homemade ones work well.
    18 ft Red & Gray StarCraft w/ Merc 175 & 9.9 Kicker

fished first light til noon on 6/20, had 7 fish in the boat by 7am and then picked up a fish here and there, caught most at 10' down but right before noon we were catching kokanee at 5' deep

talked to 3 other boats, one was skunked and the 2 others each had a few kokanee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2783.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	8117
    Last edited by kok-head; 06-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Spent the morning up today. Landed 9 lost a few more. Morning started off real slow, got busier later in the morning on the bite. Fished west of the giant balls. All were caught at about 30 ft, just long lining with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Man View Post
    Had a great week fishing out of at Falls Creek. Like Mike I tried some downsized Columbia Chinook techniques Mini Super Cut Bait behind a flasher w/dropper packed with tuna mixed with anise, shrimp, garlic. Worked great on the koks but finally lost one set to a pig that broke a 12# leader. Got to assume it was a king. Lots O' fun!! starting to see a little color so the peak may be here for the koks.
    You can bet that was a King, Same thing happend to me they were deeper and when you hooked up you better hang on!!! I got broke off twice with 10# test no problem for them.

Big Kokes above boat ramp at 20' 2mph . Lost all but 2 .making a 20' extension on my net handle. Lol. Pink squid / slingblade. Had some rookies on the boat. Soo much fun fighting the war against kokes
    team Zigzag

Yeah I was one those who only got two fish. I was on the water at 8 am fished 20,25,30, 25 feet etc very few bites. Guess I should have tried 10 feet. LOL But we did hook one fish at 40 feet on down rigger. Are these fish all over depth wise. Dont have a quality flasher on boat. Good luck all. Gonna try Anderson Mon and Tues, have not been there yet this season. Any pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by alhntr View Post
    Are these fish all over depth wise.
    they are, i have a basic fish finder and im able to run past the fish at speed (25-30mph) to get an approximation of their depth, then ill run down past em 100-200yds and get my gear/rods set up and give em a chance to settle down before i troll back through them

at first light we were hooking fish at 5' and 10' deep on the downriggers and using 50-60' setbacks, later in the day we were fishing at 6' and 8' and couldnt buy a bite til we adjusted our setbacks to 80-150' and got back into the fish again, and later in the day we have to drag the gear past em 2-3 times to get a bite instead of draggin the gear by once at 530am and having 2 rods bouncing on the first pass

also of the 11 kokanee we brought to the back of the boat 9 were still alive and my 10' net (salmon net with a push broom handle pressed into net handle) helps a ton, for fish that stayed hooked within the first few seconds of releasing from the riggers we were 9 for 9 on boating them
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast