Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

thanks jeff, will be in touch before i go again mid june,,,,not a bad place to spend your time, my favorite....

Fished LP this AM 8-11, caught 15, but more trout than kokes. Couldn't keep the trout off. Pretty constant action all morning. Strangely, talked to two boats at the ramp who hadn't had so much as a bite. Different area? Maybe. The other day we landed all the kokanee but one, but today we lost 9 in a row. Part of the problem might be that we took a newbie along!! Beautiful day and little wind. Mike

Kodiak, It sounds like a great day at the lake. I think the 20/80 rule applies here, and from your reports, you are one of the 20% who catch 80% of the fish! Nothing like a newbie to help drop your hookup to catch ratio, but it is all worth it when they finally get one to the net.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 05-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Sawtooth,
    Wish that were true, but then again, if you've been fishing for over 60 years, you sure should have picked up something along the way!! I do think the fishing this summer will be better than last year. Seems like there are more kokes in the res. God knows there are more trout! Who went and told them that shoepeg was tasty?! Mike

Anytime I take a newb out to show them how to fish I stink, not sure what the connection is but for that reason I dread taking anyone else out. I will be on the lake tomorrow morning running FRS 8.8 or 21.12 if any one is out and wants to chat.

How many of you folks were at lucky peak today? From the number of boats on the water I'd have to say everyone. Wow there were a lot of boats out fishing today. And it was a zoo. Everyone going every different direction and about half the boats paying absolutely no attention to where they were going.

On a better note the kokes are getting bigger.

I was there and it was a zoo!! What a crowd for a Friday.. Once again I chose to not join the circus at the mouth of the narrows, It was much tougher fishing today at least for me it was. I think it was because they dumped so much water in so fast wow did it ever come up in one week. I managed another limit but had to work for it, They seemed to like a Kokabow Kestrel at 20 feet the best. And I agree they are much nicer fish!!!!

Yep, lots of folks out today. Wife and I fished primarily in front of Spring Shores. Brought 8 Kokes home, released some trout. Strange, but only one combo of our arsenal was much good. Primarily pink blades over pink hoochie. Nice size to the fish. Fished between 15-20 feet.
    Attachment 7219
    Last edited by conservationist; 05-31-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    16 foot Tan/Green Lowe with 50 HP Yamaha
    Almost always my wife and I together.
    Pull up and say Hi!

Anybody run FRS? I think it would be cool if we could converse on our FRS Walkies. I for one would love to have some expert advice when I am out on the lake fishing.

Put on @ 730am lost 2 right at the boat 1st hr. Landed 2 15" nice keepers then it was quiet and a boat parade by dam area...dodgers cold flashers warm. Squids over rings.

Fished Thursday early. On at 6:00 off and on trailer by 9:00. Water temp was up t0 58 plus degrees. Hooked 23 kokes and a few rainbows. All on squid behind flashers. Spring Shores off of ramp and then entry of narrows. Not too deep Thursday. All between 18 and 25 feet. Aggressive fish and getting fat. Fished again today. On water at 6:00 and off around 10:00. Mucho boats. Fishing was spotty and we worked harder for our fish. Took 9 nice kokes home, lost about that many for some reason, and did 6 or 7 trout. Water temp up over 60 at Spring Shores. I think the new water is messing with the bite. The depths ranged from 17 feet to 55 feet. No one color combo. We tried some diff stuff and caught fish on all of it. Spent most of morning around corner from Spring Shores towards dam. Stayed away from the fleet. I think the bite will settle down once we reach full pool. The cooler morning Thursday was key. See you out there Sunday am. Maroon Willie Predator sled/Merc 250

Fished 7 to 2. Landed 1 trout and had a few drive bys. Stayed away from the fleet mostly but it didn't look like anybody else was catching much. Fished near dam and up the sf arm.

Lots of fish but they just wouldn't bite. Apex, houch, wr, etc. Threw everything we had at em.

fished 6/1/14 from around 11am - 12:30pm, took about 15min to find a school that would cooperate, fished the narrows just below spring shores, had lures from the surface down to about 20’ and reeled in fish from every depth in between, the bite was good and the fish were shallow enough to just long-line and I didn’t bother using the downriggers

fished mostly pink lures, 2.5” squids and 1” crappie tubes running about 9” behind 4” and 5” dodgers kept us busy with a fish about every 5min, only landed one good size one and lost 2 more about the same size at the boat, released about 10 or so little guys and kept the 2 small kokes after releasing them and watching them float

talked to lots of guys at the ramp who were skunked, they either had kokabows and flashers or they were running squids with way too long of leaders

I sat at the ramp for about 20min before I launched and didn’t see one net come out so I decided to get away from the 2 big groups of about 30 boats, I made sure to stay a good 200yds or so from any group of boats and I had a feeling that all those big boats and their gear were spooking the schools upstream and downstream, so if it’s packed in the area you are in just reel up and move away from the “dance floor” and you should find some good schools being scared right to you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2748.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	7223
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Default LP 6/1/2014

We were on just after 6:00 yesterday. Predator (post below) was the only boat we saw on the water when we put in. Did pretty well until 8:00 when it shut off for a while. Like some of the posters below, I also seem to do better when I stay away from the big pack of boats. That said, two or three boats seemed to be working the same school and all were catching fish, and spinning right back around to go through them again.MackayGuy might have thought we were crazy, but we spin back around after going through and getting multiple hookups. Seemed to turn back on a little after 10, but only on our shallow running gear (12-15 ft). We managed a couple of limits of 15" koks and we were out at 11:30. Turned quite a few smaller koks and trout back. Great day.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    MackayGuy might have thought we were crazy, but we spin back around after going through and getting multiple hookups.
    Why would you think I would think you were crazy? My concern, or complaint if you will, is those that are not looking where they're going....at all. I saw several boats plowing through a crowd, not once in 10 minutes did anyone on the boat ever look in the direction they were heading. Other boats were scrambling to get out of their way. The boneheads were oblivious. I saw one guy actually look around and saw they were seriously close to another boat and just turned back around and seemed to ignore the situation. I swing back over a school myself, but I don't cut people off or make them have to avoid me. Common sense and courtesy. Or maybe they have a special boat license which gives them the right of way.

Hey Predator "lost about that many for some reason"
    I know why, "blame shifter".
    How was Sunday?
    Last edited by Stripes; 06-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Sunday was a zoo around the mouth of the narrows across from the marina so I headed down past the nursery and fishing was slow but peaceful. A couple of schools came by and I hooked/landed two 16 inchers nice and fat. I was there from 10 AM to 1 PM. Used lead core three colors one with squid behind dodger and other with green kokabow behind willow flasher both with shoe peg.

Are the squaw fish heavy this year? Cabellas report seemed to suggest more squaw than anything else?

Rapid influx of water has to be affecting the bite. Should be full by next weekend if the flows continue. Most people find the stabilized water level should help the bite. Having a great season this spring and find that while there are plenty of boats there is still enough area and fish to make the experience well worth the time. Thanks for all the informational posts. Many of my friends would rather golf than fish, therefore leaving me to launch and fish alone. Netting and reeling a nice Koke alone was comical, Hope no one documented the boat in the tight spin while I had one hand on the reel and the other trying to net the spunky Kokes. Surely would have made a "Come on man" of the fishing channel.
    1985 grey and black Aquaglass Bass boat 16.5 ft 115 horse mercury.

Nice fish Jon, but whoops.....now everyone knows one of your secret spots.

We fished Canyon and Dicks yesterday. Kinda slow, 11 in the cooler. We had been finding good numbers of them at 40 to 50 feet on the downriggers but yesterday they were at 25 feet. Didn't make much sense but maybe the thermocline is changing. Anyone else having better luck?

No, not much better luck. Very slow last weekend. Canyon was going good two weeks ago, same spots last weekend produced little. Was marking plenty of fish at 40-50' like you, but couldn't entice a strike. Didn't seem like many other boats were having better success. Picked up a few at Merry's, Freds, and Canyon...8 total for a morning by myself. Looking for much better numbers than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MackayGuy View Post
    Nice fish Jon, but whoops.....now everyone knows one of your secret spots.
    hahaha! the joke is getting legendary MackayGuy, “Heroes get remembered, but legends never die”

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    nice solo net job, and thats a mighty long leader, does your lure have any of it's own action?

Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast