Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2088

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

What type of setup are you using Physion? Any specific color? Corn? DR Longline?

I may go to LP on Wednesday. I hope the weather will not be bad next couple days.

I used 100 feet of line, no weight, a 3-bladed silver troll that I make, a spinner that I make (a bit like a wedding ring), and corn soaked in pro-cure predator oil. There is a picture of my troll and spinner in the tackle craft forum listings: My "go-to" lures, Started by Physion, 04-06-2013 02:53 PM.

Physion
    Last edited by Physion; 10-26-2015 at 10:47 PM.

I really need to take some of you guys out on my boat so you can tell me what the hell I am doing wrong. I got all the gear you can think of, years of fishing 'for trout, steelhead, chinook; not kokanee' but I only catch one or two a day. 2 Poles in the water etc.

Hell, I beg any one of you to go fishing with me and teach me your ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    I used 100 feet of line, no weight, a 3-bladed silver troll that I make, a spinner that I make (a bit like a wedding ring), and corn soaked in pro-cure predator oil. There is a picture of my troll and spinner in the tackle craft forum listings: My "go-to" lures, Started by Physion, 04-06-2013 02:53 PM.

Physion
    Hi Physion,
    I really like the 3-bladed silver troll that you made and the spinner too. Awesome!!! and it works for you too. I'll take some trolling blades from my tackle box and modify for testing. Hopefully it might work, if it doesn't I will give it to my fishing-woman.
    Have a good night.

I'm aware of a man who uses only a classic Ford Fender and he consistently brings home fish. That was my troll of choice until I started making my own. There are others who only use dodgers, and they also do well. Type of attractor, the lure at the end, place, time of day, speed, depth, water clarity, playing with a rod as it's pulling a lure, changing speed or direction, clouds, wind, barometric pressure changes, moon phase, and the list goes on. Some days my partner will catch more, some days I do, even when using the exact same set up. And when I'm by myself (a typical day) I sometimes get lucky. It's not unusual for one rod to catch a lot more than the other even rigged the same. Keep on fishing, observe what works, and enjoy any day on the water that God grants you. If the boat floats, the motor runs, and I get home safely it's been a blessed day. Catching fish is just the icing.

I know--old fishermen can be irritatingly philosophical.

Physion
    Last edited by Physion; 10-27-2015 at 01:01 AM.

I'm aware of a man who uses only a classic Ford Fender and he consistently brings home fish. That was my troll of choice until I started making my own. There are others who only use dodgers, and they also do well. Type of attractor, the lure at the end, place, time of day, speed, depth, water clarity, playing with a rod as it's pulling a lure, changing speed or direction, clouds, wind, barometric pressure changes, moon phase, and the list goes on. Some days my partner will catch more, some days I do, even when using the exact same set up. And when I'm by myself (a typical day) I sometimes get lucky. And it's not unusual for one rod to catch a lot more than the other even rigged the same. Keep on fishing, observe what works, and enjoy any day on the water that God grants you. If the boat floats, the motor runs, and I get home safely it's been a blessed day. Catching fish is just the icing.

I know--old fishermen can be irritatingly philosophical.

Physion
    I can enjoy philosophy, I just enjoy it more while I am catching some fish

I agree it's much better when I'm catching fish. I can take a slow day or two or three, but then I start to get a bit frustrated and wonder what I am doing wrong. I've picked up a lot of tips from this forum or from guys at the dock or on the water who are willing to share some tidbits. I talked with two different boats today. I have a 14 foot open aluminum Gregor boat, usually fish by myself, and wear a dorky looking long billed safari type hat. Stop me if you see me at the dock or on the water.

Physion

I agree it's much better when I'm catching fish. I can take a slow day or two or three, but then I start to get a bit frustrated and wonder what I am doing wrong. I've picked up a lot of tips from this forum or from guys at the dock or on the water who are willing to share some tidbits. I talked with two different boats today. I have a 14 foot open aluminum Gregor boat, usually fish by myself, and wear a dorky looking long billed safari type hat. Stop me if you see me at the dock or on the water.

Physion
    You've probably seen me out there

This is the model of my boat
    http://nwboatcenter.wpengine.netdna-...escape-145.jpg

I guess I tend to overthink the details but I like the science behind kokanee fishing.
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 10-27-2015 at 01:14 AM.

For Kokanee fishing that I picked up a lot of tips from other fishermen at the lake, lately from this forum as well. Back to mid '90 I used heavy rod with leaded line, 209 level-wind Penn reel, 1.5 oz sinker + 7 blades cow-bell + wedding ring. I caught my limit at Deadwood, Dworshak reservoir with that set up. Later I changed to lighter rod, mono line, Ford fender and use down-rigger for trolling. At Anderson reservoir I saw many fisherman fishing without DR but it seem they out fishing me. Last year I started to learn how to use long liner for kok. and I got more info. from this forum. Thank Physion, G3-Longliner, bayhorse... Fishing without using the DR is more fun en enjoy too, but when the kok stay in deep water then a DR is very value device to catch them. Last summer we caught kok at 75' deep in Anderson. My fishing-woman had her arm and shoulder sore, perhaps she always out fishing me.
    I'll be solo at LP tomorrow. DeltaDude and Physion want to join me tomorrow? My boat have enough room for both of you.
    Last edited by fish4kok; 10-27-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo error

Can't say no to that, I am a pretty big dude tho!

Sending you my info!

In regards to the downrigger, it is one of those things where I spent a ton of money on it, so I feel like using it to validate the purchase
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 10-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
    Can't say no to that, I am a pretty big dude tho!

Sending you my info!

In regards to the downrigger, it is one of those things where I spent a ton of money on it, so I feel like using it to validate the purchase
    I sent to you a text message for tomorrow plan. I hope that Physion will come along with us. I have 2 DR on my boat. I'll try longline set up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
    I can enjoy philosophy, I just enjoy it more while I am catching some fish
    Thanks for the much needed chuckle.

That's a good day fishing at LP. We didn't catch our fish limit as we wished but I'm glad to meet a great fisherman. I'm glad that Physion was able to come along. DeltaDude had work was going to end up with short notice meeting on Wed. so he's not able to go. We'll meet you an other time Deltadude.

It was windy in the morning. Physion caught his 1st kok within 5 minutes and guess what...I net that fish from outside the net so the fish got away. We both laugh so hard. Not long after that I caught my 1st fish. It was hard to fight with the wind so we ran up to Goose Neck Bay and fish toward the dam. Physion was boated 2 kok in 20 minutes.

Thank Physion for the kok. flasher + the fly-spinner also the fish that you caught. I'll save that set to my fishing-woman.
    All fish were caught on long-liner poles. 1 pole with DR at varies depth and no bite.

2 rainbow. 1 - 15" other 16"
    Kok from 12" to 13"

I appreciate the invite and I look forward to going fishing with you guys in the future. You guys have been and continue to be very helpful.

As for work, I generally am on call 24/7 so if something comes up it is short notice. I am just glad I got to you before you went to bed :).

After a morning walk with my neighbor then I decided go to LP for Kokanee. Started from 11:00Am and quitted @ 3:30PM I bag my kok limit and no rainbow. Fish were right on top. The weather was bad, windy, rain and cold. It's hard to control the boat against the wind so I ran the inboard...and fish with 2 rods.
    There were 7 trucks with boat trailer at the ramp, 2 boats were in dam area, other boats ran further upstream, and I'm wonder where they are fishing and how they are doing.
    Last edited by fish4kok; 10-30-2015 at 09:42 PM.

went up this morning. went to turner I am amazed to see idiots that park there trucks with trailers right on the ramp. Surprises me that law enforcement is not up there writing tickets. the parking lot was empty but the ramp was full of idiots to lazy to park there trucks in the parking lot. Or taking there truck up and parking OFF the ramp. To top it off 1 car was parked sideways on the ramp? SAD SAD SAD...........

Fished LP today (10/31) in my boat (16' Tracker, beige with green canopy) with my fishing buddy. Cool Fall day, but a great fishing day. Took most of the day, but we each caught our limits, plus I kept 1 trout. But we must have caught and released 8 trout and lost about as many Kokanees due to their jumping out of the water, but we got lucky and didn't lose any at the boat. We were long-lining, 3 lines in the water, one with no weight, one with a half oz, and one with 1 oz. All had Ford Fenders with orange-based wedding rings and Gary's Gear lures. Stayed in the channel just north of Gooseneck bay and caught all 12 in that area. That last #12 took some time. We kept catching trout or losing the dang Kokanee. Took over an hour for us to boat that last fish. All in all, another great day at LP.

And as a wise man once said, you are only on this earth so many days, and every day spent fishing doesn't count...

Attachment 8298Attachment 8299

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon8r View Post
    went up this morning. went to turner I am amazed to see idiots that park there trucks with trailers right on the ramp. Surprises me that law enforcement is not up there writing tickets. the parking lot was empty but the ramp was full of idiots to lazy to park there trucks in the parking lot. Or taking there truck up and parking OFF the ramp. To top it off 1 car was parked sideways on the ramp? SAD SAD SAD...........
    When the reservoir is this low, nothing wrong with pulling off and parking it in the sand. I mean take a look at fish4kok's pic

That was when there were TONS of law enforcement there doing an exercise, they said it was completely legal so long as you were not blocking it off so no one could back up.
    Last edited by DeltaDude; 11-05-2015 at 05:50 PM.

Great day! Just got back from a trip to Lucky Peak. A limit in less than two hours. Better fishing than during the summer and a whole lot better than the fishing last fall. Again, I was fishing shallow with my three bladed troll. People were very congenial on the water as well as around the dock area. Had a good conversation with fish4kok. He even caught one while we were visiting. A good day for the old guys.

Physion
    Last edited by Physion; 11-12-2015 at 06:17 PM.

A good day for the old fishermen. It was nice to meet Physion at the lake. I did well too. Bag my fish limit in 2hrs 40minutes.

Going to lucky peak tomorrow morning any recent reports? thank you.

A pontoon boat in Goose Neck Bay.

I was out there to run test the engine and check the heat exchanger after it's repaired. Everything working fine so I can do final step for winterize.

I fish about 3 hrs and fishing wasn't good for me. I caught a 16" rainbow, had couple Kok but it got away when it got close to the boat. All action on long line pole without weight. Water temp was 48.6 degree.

Later I fish with the DR from 5' down 12' but no luck.

I talked to other 2 fishermen they caught 4 kok and 1 trout. They got them on DR from 10' to 40' deep.
    There were 3 boats on LP yesterday.
    Good luck for fishing tomorrow

How'd them new ideas pan out?

Anyone know if you can still launch a boat up at lucky? Thinking about heading up this weekend to test some new equipment on my boat. Do koks still bite in Dec?

Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast