Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2088

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Nope that isn't me. We were around the corner photo right and on the other side of him when he scooped. It was interesting as it didn't look like his bucket closed correctly and he was leaking all the way to the drop on the top of the hill. I watched him through binocs and his later dumps didn't leak out like that....it looked like he almost gave that pictured pontoon a shower from our angle!

My boat is a Sylvan 20ft Fish n Cruise with black sides and top. Did you guys notice the backward trolling pontoon boat? I wonder if going backwards is the only way he can control the speed? Seemed awkward.

Anyways....if you want to catch kokes at LP with your kayak setup please try the following.

Go get a luhr jensen "jeweled bead kokanee troll" flasher. It is a small four blade silver on one side orange on the other with silver flash tape on each blade and a red fin. part # 3690-001-0157 (fire/silver p-lit. Then attach an orange body with silver hammer blade Macks wedding ring spinner exactly 28" of leader back. You can use the #6 single hook that they come with but I normally replace with a #6 treble hook as it seems we get more in the boat with that setup. Get a can of Green Giant shoepeg white corn (walmart has it) and a can of tuna fish in vegie oil and a bottle of Mike's blue herring giz (also at walmart). In the morning before you head out to fish (soaking over night for some reason seems less effective) drain the tuna oil and a little tuna flesh into a container with your corn. Add some blue herring oil and mix it all up. (You can also forego the herring oil as it's worked with and without...I just know it doesn't hurt and the pro koke guides all put giz on the offerings and so I do it too) I've also added sea salt and caught fish but no real noted difference and not enough testing to call that one a do or don't. It does kind of preserve your bait and seems to make things less gooey later in the day. Tip your treble hook with ONE SINGLE CORN (not three). I also dip the lure in the juice and run a rub the juice all over the flashers occasionally. Coming from steelie fishing background I believe smell cover up is critical.

Go get yourself 25' of parachute cord and as heavy a bell sinker as you can find to tie on the end. Then a DR release. Drop that thing down 9ft to start with your lure set EXACTLY 50' back of the DR release. Set your release as tight as possible so that you have to pull it out when you get one on. Note with a light DR weight it's harder to release so some testing required. You just need something heavy enough to maintain a controlled depth at your trolling speed. With this spinner setup you can paddle along testing to see that you have everything spinning and that is simply your target speed. (we fish 1.5 to 2.35 gps) The nice thing about a WR spinner is that they catch fish at all speeds and are much less speed or action critical. The pattern at LP is 9ft to start and drop it down until you don't catch fish through the day as the sun goes up. NOTE: if it's a cloudy day change to a green WR spinner and the results are the same.

So far this year in 9 trips to LP this exact system has boated 189 kokes and about that many bites and long releases. All but two fish have been caught using only two poles per day. (sometimes we tried a third long lining or a stacked dr but it was too much work and caused more tangles then we actually had production so we bagged it.

also...if hand lining your DR setup is too much of a hassle you can go buy a set of shower rod/curtain rings, bell sinkers, and a release for each one. You simply leave your DR down and hook the shower ring around your main cord and drop it to depth...you can stack em deep without having to draw up your DR ball every time you hook up or have a strike. Guys use this for stacking dr setups and not having to draw up every time your upper line gets hit.

Go get em!

Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    Nope that isn't me. We were around the corner photo right and on the other side of him when he scooped. It was interesting as it didn't look like his bucket closed correctly and he was leaking all the way to the drop on the top of the hill. I watched him through binocs and his later dumps didn't leak out like that....it looked like he almost gave that pictured pontoon a shower from our angle!

My boat is a Sylvan 20ft Fish n Cruise with black sides and top. Did you guys notice the backward trolling pontoon boat? I wonder if going backwards is the only way he can control the speed? Seemed awkward.

Anyways....if you want to catch kokes at LP with your kayak setup please try the following.

Go get a luhr jensen "jeweled bead kokanee troll" flasher. It is a small four blade silver on one side orange on the other with silver flash tape on each blade and a red fin. part # 3690-001-0157 (fire/silver p-lit. Then attach an orange body with silver hammer blade Macks wedding ring spinner exactly 28" of leader back. You can use the #6 single hook that they come with but I normally replace with a #6 treble hook as it seems we get more in the boat with that setup. Get a can of Green Giant shoepeg white corn (walmart has it) and a can of tuna fish in vegie oil and a bottle of Mike's blue herring giz (also at walmart). In the morning before you head out to fish (soaking over night for some reason seems less effective) drain the tuna oil and a little tuna flesh into a container with your corn. Add some blue herring oil and mix it all up. (You can also forego the herring oil as it's worked with and without...I just know it doesn't hurt and the pro koke guides all put giz on the offerings and so I do it too) I've also added sea salt and caught fish but no real noted difference and not enough testing to call that one a do or don't. It does kind of preserve your bait and seems to make things less gooey later in the day. Tip your treble hook with ONE SINGLE CORN (not three). I also dip the lure in the juice and run a rub the juice all over the flashers occasionally. Coming from steelie fishing background I believe smell cover up is critical.

Go get yourself 25' of parachute cord and as heavy a bell sinker as you can find to tie on the end. Then a DR release. Drop that thing down 9ft to start with your lure set EXACTLY 50' back of the DR release. Set your release as tight as possible so that you have to pull it out when you get one on. Note with a light DR weight it's harder to release so some testing required. You just need something heavy enough to maintain a controlled depth at your trolling speed. With this spinner setup you can paddle along testing to see that you have everything spinning and that is simply your target speed. (we fish 1.5 to 2.35 gps) The nice thing about a WR spinner is that they catch fish at all speeds and are much less speed or action critical. The pattern at LP is 9ft to start and drop it down until you don't catch fish through the day as the sun goes up. NOTE: if it's a cloudy day change to a green WR spinner and the results are the same.

So far this year in 9 trips to LP this exact system has boated 189 kokes and about that many bites and long releases. All but two fish have been caught using only two poles per day. (sometimes we tried a third long lining or a stacked dr but it was too much work and caused more tangles then we actually had production so we bagged it.

also...if hand lining your DR setup is too much of a hassle you can go buy a set of shower rod/curtain rings, bell sinkers, and a release for each one. You simply leave your DR down and hook the shower ring around your main cord and drop it to depth...you can stack em deep without having to draw up your DR ball every time you hook up or have a strike. Guys use this for stacking dr setups and not having to draw up every time your upper line gets hit.

Go get em!
    Thanks for the information, F-Bomb! Sounds like great tips! Kokanee Fishing sures sounds like science! LOL! I'll try your suggestions on my next trip out! I did see that pontoon back trolling out there. It looked like a few Kokes being caught in the area I saw you guys. I was graphing a few at 10' on my fishfinder, then later in the day, they dropped down between 15' to 25'. I just couldn't hook onto any of them.

I fished 4 hrs in the morning Wednesday and Thursday I caught one 5 Lb rainbow and one 7 lb bull trout. I lost a good Chinook right at the boat
    I used a Lyman lure #82 November plug 200 ft behind the boat 55-70 ft deep in the lime creek area and the Wood creek area

Default Wednesday fishing

Mid afternoon fishing at Dent using 3 oz. at 60'. Troll speed about 1 mph.

Were you able to snap a picture the Bull Trout? If so I'd love to see it.

Sat Report...
    Got to spring shores super early and fished for an hour without getting a sniff...we could have slept in! Finally caught a medium koke going into Robie Creek. Then we got inundated with squawkers! First ones all year. Also kept catching trout instead of kokanee but one was 19" and put up a pretty good tussle. She squirted eggs all over the boat when I was unhooking and releasing. Went out into the main lake with the 100 other boats and it was still very slow. I think we only caught five or six fish with the normal shallow setup. Didn't really see very many people netting either. A couple passers by reported super slow. We finally got into some action with a green spinner at 16ft but it was still what I consider slow. At noon we switched to pink hoochie with a silver smile blade towed behind a paper silver flasher setup which was the most flash I carry. WAMMO at 27 we started to finally get into fish on the custom pink hoochie setup. Switched both poles to pink and then we started to get busy. Had a cool little stretch at 21ft that boated three nice 17" fish and lost two that were similar. That only lasted a short time when a surf boat got right on our mark and spent five tries attempting to get a huge human being up on a board. Magically our fun was over.

I have never in my hundreds of days on LP seen that many boats and jet skis! Everyone in the area that owns a boat plus a few out of towners all decided that today was the day for LP. We also got swarmed by the America's Cup junior varsity regatta. They went right over your lines and one almost rammed us. She was cussing and leaning and finally couldn't make the tack and pulled out. Not a relaxing day but it was still lots of fun. Put some nice ones in the cooler today and while we worked hard for them it was worth it. Kind of cool to catch the big boys on a home made setup plus finally getting something down a little deeper than our standard surface setups.

I Fished from 4:30pm-7:30pm. I fished everything from 20-60 ft of water. I caught a lot really nice trout and some pike minnows. (Dodger pink hoochie) The trout were released and swam off looking really healthy. The pike minnows on the other hand, not so lucky. I was hooked up about every 10 minutes, but no luck on Kokes. This is my first time being skunked on kokes this year.... Still a great day on the water.

Default Bull Trout

I didn't get a pic of the bull trout but I catch them fairly often and I will get a pic of the next one I catch and post it

ditto what F-Bomb said...

Wife and I fished LP Saturday sun up till sun down with a few hour break on shore at day use site mid afternoon. Marking fish from 10-30 feet down with most around 20' but few takers. Tried different speeds, scents, colors but couldn't dial them in. Lots of rec boaters, jet skis, etc. - I don't usually complain about them because they have as much right to the water as fisherman but I cannot understand why they cut between my boat and shore when I'm 70 feet from shore and there is much more room on other side - but had that happen several times. Also saw the sail boats F-Bomb mentioned, I had no problem with them but one of them did catch a long line from my friends boat nearby.

We ended up keeping 3 koke, 18" was biggest.
    2016 black and silver Lund Tyee with 150 hp Mercury

Launching at 430 am tue. Using double pink slingblade, pink hoochie w/uv flash, tipped wth anise soaked pink firecorn w/ procure koke gel down 20' @1.4 mph. Tan/green crestliner. If u smell bacon WAVE
    team Zigzag

Heres what a 8lb bull trout looks like at AR

Quote Originally Posted by fixed blade View Post
    Were you able to snap a picture the Bull Trout? If so I'd love to see it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Btrout.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	8741

Default windy

Quote Originally Posted by nepetbutler View Post
    Launching at 430 am tue. Using double pink slingblade, pink hoochie w/uv flash, tipped wth anise soaked pink firecorn w/ procure koke gel down 20' @1.4 mph. Tan/green crestliner. If u smell bacon WAVE
    windy today till 10am - slow fishing - 6:30 to noon for 4 kOKS 12 T0 16in. - only had 7 hits for the day -talked to 2 boats at the ramp and they had same only one was pink

4:30 am! Please leave a couple angry ones in place for the second shift. We'll be along about 8ish if everything works just right.

Default Saturday Fishing

I fished on the 23rd and found the fish to be at different depths dependent on the location. Fished at the the point North of Freeman Creek and found the fish at 30-40 feet. Then went up to Elk Creek and fished the rest of the day. Found fish to be anywhere from 20 feet to 100 feet. Caught 13 nice fish and had a great time.

Looks like a snake. I figured they'd be fatter.

If you catch a fall run there really fat. This was march, got another didn't way but was 32in probably 11 pounds.

Default Chinook photo

Quote Originally Posted by Skipjack24 View Post
    Heres what a 8lb bull trout looks like at AR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Btrout.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	8741
    Can't really see inside the mouth but I'm almost certain that is a chinook. The large Bull trout we catch while fishing for spring chinook have unnaturally large bug eyes and bright pink spots. In the high mountain lakes and streams they can be almost dark green in color. Look inside its mouth, if there is black - it is a chinook.

Default Moon Phase?

What's up fellow addicts! So...I have lived here for 3 years and all you a-holes got me in trouble with my wife and close to applying for a second mortgage! You owe me this!!!!! You guys think it's moon phase, fires or d@&k head pleasure boats jacking up my fix!? It's never been this slow! I've avoided Anderson and Arrowrock but have limited at LP this year until last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by scaletamer View Post
    What's up fellow addicts! So...I have lived here for 3 years and all you a-holes got me in trouble with my wife and close to applying for a second mortgage! You owe me this!!!!! You guys think it's moon phase, fires or d@&k head pleasure boats jacking up my fix!? It's never been this slow! I've avoided Anderson and Arrowrock but have limited at LP this year until last weekend!
    The best thing you can do right now is tow your boat to deadwood as fast as you can possibly drive. By the time you get up there and back, your boat and trailer should be in pretty bad shape because of the roads. By the time you get it all out back together it will be next season and the fishing may be better.

In this scenario your wife should still be mad at you and your 2nd mortgage will still be needed for the repairs. So nothing lost.

Or you can just start picking off jet skiers one at a time... Good luck, I hope fishing picks back up for you.

New a/c unit for my boat. Refreezable ice. Gonna try it Wednesday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0814.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	8742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0813.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	8743  
    team Zigzag

Nepetbuler, that look like it will work for a bit. It's also funny last night I was thinking how I could rig a mister to the live well pump!
    White 1875 Lund Impact & Scotty downriggers

Default what the what?

Report from Tues:

bright sunny slight breeze early to dead calm to a steady almost white cap NE wind by the end of the day very light recreational traffic until about 3pm

....arrived on site at the spring shores 8am ish...about 50 boats from main pool to the white pipe. We started with pink hoochie/silver smile blade behind the macks paper flasher at 21ft which was the magic recipe on Sat and my standard LP go to fish catching setup the orange wr winner behind a paper flasher at 9ft 1.85 to 2.07mph gps. Orange had bite after bite after bite but they wouldn't actually take it and get hooked up. We caught a 14 on the pink right in the middle of the armada and so I switched both to that setup and we only caught one more fish in an hour. Switched back to the one and one and the orange setup proceeded to get over 50 hits and catch 20 plus while pink at 20 was nothing but a spectator that required a corn rebait every 10 minutes with no fish! We lost at least 5 fish at the boat and another 5 that you got to feel wiggle and then come right off. By midday we put both on orange at 9ft and one pole got 4 to 1 fish but the second setup did get some action.

We found a few decent 3 year fish but the majority were the 14" version but they are footballing up slightly over the last couple of weeks. All still nice and chrome and the meat is excellent. One big male 3 year fish is just getting his fighting face going. I normally release all of the non-3 year fish that aren't bloody and since we are top watering with no great pressure change on the fish they usually do fine on release but I had an uncle along that doesn't get to fish much and he loves the salmon so this day was about gathering meat.

So I don't know what all of the talk about slow fishing at LP? I've took a five year hiatus from koke fishing LP but I never remember having as much action and as steady throughout the day as we have had this year. This is all just a lot like big game hunting. You don't hunt where you don't see sign. Kokes have signs too! Notice the birds? There are a bunch of osprey at LP and they are nailing the kokes all day. You are seeing very little major fish clusters at 20 to 40ft. The graph shows massive plankton salad mostly in the top 20ft of water and very rarely deeper. All of those clues are saying the fish are dispersed and they are on top. You have to move around and you have to offer the color and flash that they want.

I also experimented with some pink fire corn home made stuff and it did get some action. My instincts for getting fish always takes over and I go right back to my known and confident bait and that is corn with a tuna oil soak. I"m always concerned that I'll brew up a batch of fish repellent by accident!

Quote Originally Posted by NiteHawk View Post
    Bhaaaaaa that is not even close to a chinook.
    And I was trying not to be a dick. Between the entitled whiners who complain about not getting enough secrets to this stuff.This site has deteriorated to point where I will just stop.

Sorry man but Nite Hawk is right that is not even close to a chinook.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonster View Post
    And I was trying not to be a dick. Between the entitled whiners who complain about not getting enough secrets to this stuff.This site has deteriorated to point where I will just stop.

Default anderson

just came doun from Anderson, sorry but koke bite is 0, and I mean 0 nobody catchin nothin

Page 78 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast