Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2016 Idaho Kokanee Fishing Reports Quick Links

Fished Lucky Peak with my wife today, from 10:00 to 4:00. Caught 4 kokes (13-14") and two small trout, from 10 to 18' deep. Didn't catch a fish until after lunch. Not red hot, but at least some fish.

Took my new boat out for the first time. Fished from noon until around 2:30. One koke in the boat and two lost. One at 10' on a chrome dodger and pink hoochie with gulp maggots (that's the one I landed) and two on the surface with small pop gear, fire corn and a chartreuse wedding ring.

I tried further up the reservoir this time due to crowding across from Spring Shores. The new boat made it much easier to get up there fast. All in all a fun day and a successful first voyage. Way more traffic than I thought there would be. I even loaded and unloaded without incident with two little ones in tow. I have never tried to drive onto the trailer, pretty cool and quick.

I did see quite a few fish landed from other boats and saw two boats trolling right in front of the ramp and one hooked up fast. Made it tough to get to the ramp but glad to see him catch one.

Default Anderson March 2015

Just returned from Anderson. Fishing from Curlew to Lime Creek good. Kokanee at about 18 feet caught them on every kind of dodger 24" ahead of a pink wiggle hoochie. Leaded line about 2 colors. Monofilament 72 feet with 1 1/2 oz sinker. Three days to catch possession limit.

Hit the lake early this morning for a couple hours, blew our little boat all over. Had on hit and that was about it.

First post to this forum! Been reading it for a while though. Great info here! Keep up the good work everyone...
    Went up to LP yesterday with a buddy of mine (used his boat, a duck hunting camo boat; can't miss it if you saw us!). Spent most of the day there: 10:30 - 6pm. We took home 8 nice Kokanees, 13" - 14", each catching 4. Lost a couple close to the boat late in the day (dang wind, that's my excuse anyway ). We only had 11 bites between us all day, so it was a bit slow, but luckily we boated most of the hits we had. Caught a few using "Fish with Gary" gear and Kokabow gear in the morning, then switched to Ford Fenders in the afternoon, trying to take advantage of the sunshine. Chartreuse and orange seemed to be the colors of choice. Almost all the hits were with 4oz lead weights (no downriggers), maybe 20 to 30 feed down. No luck in front of Spring Shores, so spent most of the time in that first small 'bay' (with many others) to the left as you head around the corner down the channel. All in all, another great day out there. Can't wait to get out there again! Picture attached. Had one angler out there give us his only catch of the day as we were both heading in - the smaller one in the picture, but even the small ones smoke up really nice. These 5 are in brine now and will be in the smoker tomorrow! Easter Dinner! Doesn't get any better...
    Attachment 7877

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    This is kinda what I expected for an answer. I plan on releasing any more I catch. There presence seems to be working, IE making the kokanee population a bit smaller, thus better size. I have caught around 100 so far this year and they are averaging 13-14 inches. Much better than the 7-8 inch average from 3-4 years ago. So, unless its some 15 lb wall hanger, I will release if possible. The 2 I have gotten so far swallowed the hooks, so release was not possible. It would be nice to figure out a way to target them. I would love to do some catch and release fishing after getting a few kokes in the boat next trip.
    Terek, as mentioned by the quote from Fish and game the Chinook were not only planted to help with the Kokanee population but to offer an additional fishing opportunity. I don't think it is unreasonable to take a few Chinook home when caught; they are great table fair and fight like the dickens especially on Kokanee gear. I also believe when F&G sees the success they have drawing more anglers to Anderson plus the benefit to the kokanee size they will most likely continue to plant Chinook.

I have had some luck fishing for Chinook on Coeur'Dalene lake ( sorry about the spelling). It has been my experience the small Chinook school with Kokanee but the larger Chinook tend to stay below the kokanee schools so try fishing one rod for kokanee at 20' and one for chinook at 35". I prefer using a single large blade with plug cut herring or a 14 Quickfish with a sardine wrap, I also know of two guys that have caught nice size (about five pounds) Chinook on Kokabow spinners at AR. A large sling blade or one of Kokabow's new blades (I like the silver and black and the silver and pink blades) this type of tackle would be perfect. For information on land locked Chinook try calling Fins and Feathers in Hayden Lake Idaho.

On a similar note I have caught small Chinook on Lucky Peak that have come through the dams. They look a lot like Kokanee but they have black spots on the back and tail. I keep these fish because I don't think they are intended to be in Luck Peak and in the long run they might be detrimental the Kokanee population. These are Just my thoughts with no backing from F&G to support. Good fishing and good luck.
    Last edited by Jwood; 04-05-2015 at 10:29 AM.

[Welcome to the site, Kevin! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jwood View Post
    Terek, as mentioned by the quote from Fish and game the Chinook were not only planted to help with the Kokanee population but to offer an additional fishing opportunity. I don't think it is unreasonable to take a few Chinook home when caught; they are great table fair and fight like the dickens especially on Kokanee gear. I also believe when F&G sees the success they have drawing more anglers to Anderson plus the benefit to the kokanee size they will most likely continue to plant Chinook.

I have had some luck fishing for Chinook on Coeur'Dalene lake ( sorry about the spelling). It has been my experience the small Chinook school with Kokanee but the larger Chinook tend to stay below the kokanee schools so try fishing one rod for kokanee at 20' and one for chinook at 35". I prefer using a single large blade with plug cut herring or a 14 Quickfish with a sardine wrap, I also know of two guys that have caught nice size (about five pounds) Chinook on Kokabow spinners at AR. A large sling blade or one of Kokabow's new blades (I like the silver and black and the silver and pink blades) this type of tackle would be perfect. For information on land locked Chinook try calling Fins and Feathers in Hayden Lake Idaho.

On a similar note I have caught small Chinook on Lucky Peak that have come through the dams. They look a lot like Kokanee but they have black spots on the back and tail. I keep these fish because I don't think they are intended to be in Luck Peak and in the long run they might be detrimental the Kokanee population. These are Just my thoughts with no backing from F&G to support. Good fishing and good luck.
    The ones we did catch were around 4-6 lbs and very good fighters. Very noticable, like my wife handed to rod to me cuz she could not handle it. They also tasted great. Was a nice change to eat a salmon fillet the size of one you would get at the store. I will take your advice with the cut herring next time we go up. On another note, the larger one we caught had roe in it. I know its a bit early, but mabe this is a sign that they may spawn this fall. I thought i read something that chinook were planted in anderson a while ago, but never spawned. So they slowly disappeared.
    22' Custom Jet boat, Blue with American Flag waving. Blue GMC draggin'

Quote Originally Posted by terek View Post
    The ones we did catch were around 4-6 lbs and very good fighters. Very noticable, like my wife handed to rod to me cuz she could not handle it. They also tasted great. Was a nice change to eat a salmon fillet the size of one you would get at the store.
    You caught 4-6lb. Chinook @ Anderson this year? Didn't happen unless you post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunddude View Post
    You caught 4-6lb. Chinook @ Anderson this year? Didn't happen unless you post pictures.
    Lunddude, Check out post #18 on page 1 of this thread. The two larger fish in the pictures are the ones he is referring too. I would guess three and four lbs. respectively. Looks like 18" and 19" in length.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 04-06-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150324_001.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	715.7 KB 
ID:	7879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150322_009.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	829.6 KB 
ID:	7880

proof is in the puddin'

I see the IDFG stocked fall chinook in Anderson in 2013. How long will they live? Will they spawn up the river like the situation ion Cour de Alene?
    Last edited by salmonster; 04-06-2015 at 01:59 PM.

It is my understanding that land locked Chinook only live three years with a few that live four years. The fish don't reproduce naturally because they were planted and unable to return to the water where they were hatched (in one of the hatcheries) so they get confused and even though they reach maturity they can't figure out where to spawn. Mother Nature, go figure.

F&G started planting Chinook in Coeur D Alene Lake in 1976 and over the years some have found their way into the streams and rivers to produce a few natural spawners but F&G still stocks the lake each year. It’s a great success for Coeur D Alene Lake. I hope they do something similar at Anderson Ranch. I have emailed the Fisheries manager for the Magic Valley region and will pass along information he provides to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwood View Post
    It is my understanding that land locked Chinook only live three years with a few that live four years. The fish don't reproduce naturally because they were planted and unable to return to the water where they were hatched (in one of the hatcheries) so they get confused and even though they reach maturity they can't figure out where to spawn. Mother Nature, go figure.
    This is a misconception. Planted Chinook can spawn naturally if planted in lakes with suitable streams with proper spawning bed bottoms and water temperatures that don't fluctuate outside boundaries of salmon spawn habitat. We have a lake here that has successful Chinook fishing a decade after the last DFG plant. Natural reproduction has been successful in the lake. Furthermore, in ocean run salmon that are tagged at the hatcheries, many have been identified in future years returning to streams that were not their original hatch and plant waters.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    This is a misconception. Planted Chinook can spawn naturally if planted in lakes with suitable streams with proper spawning bed bottoms and water temperatures that don't fluctuate outside boundaries of salmon spawn habitat. We have a lake here that has successful Chinook fishing a decade after the last DFG plant. Natural reproduction has been successful in the lake. Furthermore, in ocean run salmon that are tagged at the hatcheries, many have been identified in future years returning to streams that were not their original hatch and plant waters.
    I hope this is true, it makes sense. It would suck if jwood is correct, because that would make this summer the last one for a lot of the chinook. As it will be summer 3 for the last batch of stockers. I may have to go threw the pics I have of the last trip I made. Seems like a few of the smaller fish had spots on the tail. Seems that if we are seeing larger fish (i.e. 18-20 inchers) and smaller fish (i.e. 11-12 inchers) in the same area, leads me to belive the smaller ones may be spawners. At least I dream this is true. I would love to have a plentiful stock of 5+ lb fish to catch and my kids to catch for years to come.

If this lake has feeder streams that run all year long, someone willing to hike them in the Fall would know for sure by seeing the sea of red fish. If you have 12 inchers and they haven't planted in 3 years, you have some reproduction occurring. This doesn't mean that there is enough happening to make the lake self sustaining but it usually means the fish & game can plant less or run the risk of over populating and end up with a stunted fishery.

The South Fork of the Boise River would definitely be large enough to sustain a population of reproducing Chinook. The kokes have been reproducing in the river for years. As a matter of fact you can already go there in the fall and see a mass of red spawners, but right now it is the kokanee that you will see. My understanding is that freshwater chinook tend to mature a bit sooner (2-4 years) as compared to their saltwater brothers who take 3 to as much as 7 years to mature. I am guessing that if the chinook in Anderson are going to successfully reproduce this should be the first year that we see some of them in the river come fall.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Went to Anderson last Friday 4-3-15. Started fishing at Lime Creek somewhere near 2:00 and quit at 7:00. Brought home 17 kokanee and 1 chinook. 12-14" on the kokanee and 19" for the chinook which weighed 2.25 pounds on my scale. Pink was good as well as orange. Corn or Gulp maggots on the hooks. A dab of Smelly Jelly Shrimp/Anise seemed to be important as well. Had the rigs stacked at 25 and 35 the whole time with one rod at 45 pulls with a 1 ounce weight. Everything worked. The first 4 fish were on 4 different rods. The chinook was on the weighted rig. Heading up again tomorrow hoping the wind doesn't blow too much.

Attachment 7882

Chinook Salmon cannot naturally reproduce in land lock lakes. Just check the historical stocking. Arrowrock Chinook were stocked from 1996 through 1998 with no natural reproduction. CJ Strike 1982, 1984 and 2000 with no natural reproduction. Luck Peak; 1995 through 2000 with no natural reproduction. Anderson ranch; 1982 - 1984 no natural reproduction. Deadwood; 1982 - 1998 no natural reproduction. There are two lakes in Idaho that support a healthy Chinook Population but only with support from F&G, Coeur D Alene and Deadwood (possibly some in southern and eastern Idaho I would not be aware of). All this information is available through the F&G web site and by contacting the Fisheries Managers and Biologists. I have contacted them by email and phone and they have always been very helpful and informative.

To say that they cannot is just flat BS if you are making an unequivocal statement about all lakes. Many lakes have natural reproduction but not to the extent that it supports the mission of F&G or stands up to the fishing pressure for that lake.

I base my comments on facts from the F&G. Tell me the lake where there is natural reproduction I'll apologize and eat my words if I can be proven wrong..

Okay, working on reaching out to my fish biologist and F&G resource for links to articles that will hopefully provide the evidence. I can add that many of the lakes that are being planted with Kings now are being planted with triploid Chinook which means they have been neutered sort of speak so that they are physically incapable of reproducing at all, period. This helps the fish grow bigger, faster as energy is not spent in maturing them sexually, so all their energy goes into growth. But if we are speaking of sexually capable Kings, I'm sticking with my assertion that they can naturally reproduce. It has been 7 years since Kings were planted in Folsom Lake, in my town, and people have been catching Kings there every year since and juveniles are frequently caught and released. Will be back with links when I get them.

Dave

I decided to see if I could find something in a good old internet search and found this. Read the second paragraph on the second page.

http://www.chelanpud.org/relicense/s...rts/6450_1.pdf

Another article speaking to my own backyard lake that I know to be true.

http://www.californiaprogressreport....ve-folsom-lake

Okay Dave, I'm eating my words as I speak. In my defense I was speaking of Idaho lakes only. I wish we had lakes in Idaho where there was a natural spawn. Maybe someday. I enjoyed the debate.
    Last edited by Jwood; 04-06-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Page 30 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast