Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its that time of the year

Just a update on my trolling flies. If you look close you will see they are indeed a tube fly. The fisherman that use my fly in the Great Lakes and Alaska replace the double hooks and replace them with a treble hook. They also use a longer leader behind a large flasher. Last year fisherman in Alaska were using a large spoon with my fly and casting it into the rivers to catch salmon. I prefer a single hook in the fly because of catch and release.

wrightwyoming nicely done since I was targeting kokanee just did some things different, but I did notice they were tube's and very nicely done may I add. Tube fly have been around for a very long time because one can change up your set up of hooks for the type of fishing one does vs a single hook as in a fly imitation. kokanee being a newer fishery for us or getting more popular lets say, a lot of us been chasing kokes a long time I'm just in love with Oregon's High Lakes. I wasn't that impressed what they (being tackle company's) I decided to go make my own. These tubes are trolled behind a wobbler with give them there action with a short leader very deadly. I wasn't that impressed with just a rubber skirt called a hoochy The number of patterns are endless that the fun part finding them and super tuning I know they will out fish anything on are market today. I anchored up last year fishing for steelhead on the Columbia River using a similar set up double hook attached with a coontail shrimp and a tube fly we put two steelhead in the boat and 5 Chinook in one outing the Chinook had to be returned as the river was closed for retention at that time and both steelhead were natives that we had to release under the regulation all and all a great day tight lines

Got some more materials in the mail today so adding a couple more colors, more to come.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

there goes all that Christmas money to the fly shop/a good fly fishing shop will carry just about everything and then some. your on your way.

Ohhh yeahh, gotta bring this thread back to life! WW, what are you using for eye's? They look like a little more than just the stickers? Can I ask what your guy's favorite lengths are- 1.5" or have you had luck with micro's down to half an inch?
    MrMike, do you still tie patterns on your trailer hook? Do you find it makes much difference, or do you find you are better off making adjustments on the front end with spinners and beads?

I was trying to stay away from getting into tubes, but after reading this thread I might need to expand my arsenal.

Thanks for sharing the idea's! You have got me all pumped up!!

I AM A CUSTUM FLY MAKER WITH TONS OF MONEY INVESTED IN TUBE FLIES. MY FLIES ARE TRUELY CUSTUM MADE TO THE EXACT SPECS OF THE FISHERMAN. EACH ONE IS TRULY DIFFERENT TO TARGET A CERTAIN WATER COLOR AND BAIT FISH NATIVE TO THE WATERS WHERE YOU FISH. THEY HAVE SCENT, UV, GLOW, AND GREAT COLORS AND MOVEMENT THAT CAN NOT BE COPIED WITH A SQUID. MY FLIES ARE DESIGNED TO CATCH FISH NOT FISHERMAN. I DO NOT SELL ON THE WEB OR IN TACKLE STORES, BUT BY WORD OF MOUTH.

is this randy?

Yes, Curtis this is Randy. We are working hard over the winter developing trolling flies for the walleye fisherman. We have developed a system for them that beats live bait. I will keep you posted

Hi Randy,

I'm interested in the flies you do. Can You PM me?
    Thanks, Alan

The Force Sorry to say its Tube Time!! be with the new generation of Kok Heads. I've gone to the Micro size with I consider 1 1/2 inch size nothing smaller/nothing larger been working extremely well for me. The pattern's on the trailer hook I just started tying up this winter haven't field tested them yet ? I think they will be a big factor Its is time expand your arensal hooches are old school.

Ohhh dang it, this is a bad disease! Thanks for the tips MrMike, much appreciated. I do like some of my own trial and error but a few tips up front can save a guy a ton of time and $$. It looks like it will be pretty straight forward to get into actually, going to stop by the local shop tonight and see what they have. I was considering the Pro tube flexi- needle system, and likely just classic small tube. There is a pile of other options (nano, micro tubes, different materials and weighting systems) though I don’t think anything special will be required for this application. Although, maybe I’ll tie up some bucktail type tubes for the trout while I’m at it…and then…and then…. hahaha

This has got me thinking now, do these imitate some type of baitfish or what is the objective here? Or do you just need to get anything down there that is an inch and a half with good action and color to annoy the fish!? The million dollar question I suppose, but what drives kokanee?

Its trial and error You have see the photos in the tread to start out with I found 1 1/2 inch tube seem's to do more damage to the kokanee population, big didn't fish as well in the two lakes I pretty much am an inhabitant of Wickiup and Odell. I hadn't fished Odell in about 3 yrs until I made a visit last year for the kokanee tournament the fish had been a lot smaller. Wicikup fish were a lot bigger. I was happy with the quality at Odeal .I won't fish Odeal till around July when The waters warm at Wicikup and I will head over to a deeper lake with is a lot cooler/Odeal always been a very good lake for fisherman that liked to Jig early in the season when the fish are schooled. Let the force be with you.

Hello All. New to the forum and new to kokanee fishing over the past two years. Have been trying to find a way to enjoy time on the water while not leaving the family. Two young kids and kokanee fishing seems to be a fairly easy way to get them into fish. Well, can't say it has been yet, but hoping so. I fish in southwestern Idaho. Avid flyfisherman also, and love to tie so this thread has intrigued me. I presume you all are running these trolling flies behind dodgers?? Anxious to tie up some of my own now and will post if I can figure it out.

check out some of the earlier post some of us been playing with tube teasers in place of hoochees being avid fly tyer be right in your ball park

Has anyone tied these up in a size big enough for ocean salmon? Season starts here in a couple of weeks and plan on trying some trolling flies in the salt this year.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Yes I have tied the Alaska version and the Great Lakes version with good results. Last fall I sent out a few to Oregon and they produced coho salmon. I also sent a few to Alaska to fish on the rivers behind spoons. They reported good results. The Great Lakes fisherman have been using flies for years and have replaced their squids for flies. Dream Weaver, Atomic flies Howie flies, Horse Flies all have web sites if you want to see what they fish. They call them meatless rigs. I use something similar for lake trout with good results at Flaming Gorge and Fort Peck.
    Best of Luck

O'h ya babe been super tuning some for Springer to pull with my troll herring/haven't had a chance to fish them yet. SHHHH it s secret.

Wrightwyoming Went on the net and looked up those flies you mention just bigger stuff Atomic flies/Howie flies just large tube flies them meatless rigs they are quite expense/thanks for the imput actually they are behind dodgers kokanee or chinook same family. I don't think they would work in the Pacific NW we can use meat on are hooks. thanks again

Okay, it has been a while though I figured I better give you guys an update. Being the cheap bugger that I am, I decided against buying a tube fly set-up. Instead I used a few plastic Q-tips and found an appropriately sized allan key to fit the ID of the tube and straight into my vice. Cut Q-tip tube to length, melt the end a bit to flare it out, tie the fly, and melt and flare the opposite end to finish. Anyway, it was cheap and easy and gives me a handful to try for the summer. Wish me luck.
    Attachment 7149Attachment 7150

Good luck! If you are interested I sell my trolling flies for $5 unrigged or $6 with hooks and scent system,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12