Thread: smallies

Default smallies

I know this is a koke forum...but I want to try the small mouth at the gorge...it's a 300 mile trip for me...can anyone tell me the prime time or water temp for the small mouth...thanks

So I am new to this form but have fished the Gorge more for SM then I probably have anything else. But that is changing this year.

The SM should be in pre-spawn mode lake wide. The WY side will typically be ahead of the UT side because the water typically is a little warmer. If I remember right the SM start getting on beds when the water gets to 60 degrees, which is probably close now.

My personal opinion is May, Jun & July are the best months for the SM. But I have never really hit them in the fall up there. The WY side will have larger bass then the UT side but the UT side has the numbers.

I will be up there next week Tuesday - Friday and will be doing some SM fishing but I will be concentrating on the Kokes and Macs.. I am really new to Down Rigger fishing, only my 2nd year compered to 25 + years of Bass fishing.

Hope that answer some of your questions.

I used to fish the area on the east side of FG near the Utah Border in early/mid June. It was great fishing for smallmouth on flies off the shore, their beds were pretty easy to spot and the fish were usually pretty aggressive. However, smallies have been pretty much eliminated from the northern (Wyoming) portion of the reservoir by the illegal introduction of Burbot. There is now a no harvest regulation in WY, and apparently there are few if any small fish as the burbot eat both tons of crayfish, and also smallmouth as big as 10".

Rufus,

I talked with a friend today and he said that the SM should be on their beds now and very aggressive. I don't know as I don't fish for bass.

Regards

Thanks for the info....going over
    in the morning to give it a try.....