Thread: The final blow

Default The final blow

Headed up to the gorge sat. morning for what was going to be 3 fun filled days of fishing, someone else told us not a chance. I replaced the plugs in my kicker before we left but failed to start it at home. Launched the boat on saturday and motored over to where we were going to start trolling. I pulled the starter rope, then I pulled again, 5 min. later I gave up my arm was tired. We replaced the new plugs with the old plugs I took out, same results. Ok lets use the electric, foot pedal hooked up were on our way. Not more than a minute later the pedal quits working, motor will turn but the speed no longer works. Headed back in to diagnose problems in the parking lot instead of on the lake. We managed to catch Gregg from the buckboard boat shop before he left. He told us the plugs we were using were crap and replaced the plugs with ngk brand for my merc. kicker. One pull starts right up, lets go fish. Started trolling at dusk, nav. lights on wind starts to blow, wife is scared of the waves and not being able to see due to darkness. Start big motor and no power to turn starter, battery dead. Head in on kicker power arrive 45 minutes later. Charge battery overnight, get up and get ready to launch for another fun filled day of fishing. Lost track of my dogs, start calling them. A gentleman asks me if this is my dog, I say yes. My dog ran head first into his boat trailer while he was headed for the launch prep area. My dog died from head injuries a few minutes later. Threw dog in boat and headed for home, enough is enough. I fished the gorge 3 weekends in a row and never caught a fish, while others in my boat have. I would like to thank everyone for all the help I received and hopefully I can use this next year and start fresh. For what ever reason The Gorge did not want me to play this past month and she made her message loud and clear. I won't see her again until the burbot bash.

Unhappy

jekern-That's a tough story to hear, especially about your dog!

Had that happened to our dog, our trip would have been over right there no matter what else was going on-for most people they are part of the family.

-MP

Wow, Lady Luck was no where to be found for you for sure. So sorry for your loss. I hope things are better for you on your next trip. Would love to help you make your trips a little more productive next koke season. Feel free to send me a pm or two and can even make a few phone calls to help answer some questions you have.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

So sorry about your dog. Remember to prepare for the worst and expect the best.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I won't use champion plugs for that very reason. I either use AC Delco, NGK, or Nippodensos. My first couple trips to the Gorge were ok but after that things went south for me. Went to the Gorge with SuperD on 9-3 fished late afternoon with a few problems. Stayed at a motel overnight ready to fish the next day instead packed up & came home 6am. Dave fell victim to some kind of stomach flu. The 3hr trip home was hard on him. Our season just ended for the Gorge this year. Now I'm prepping for fall & Bear L.

Thanks for all the well wishes. My parents felt bad and decided to send me some smoked salmon from the honey smoked fish company. Dad says this was alot cheeper than doing it yourself.

Roger, are you still working out here or did you retire
    Avoid squatting with yer spurs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bottombouncer View Post
    Roger, are you still working out here or did you retire
    Pete, I'm retired now since Nov 2011 and loving it.