Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which boat would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    DLM, with a jet, one still needs a way to keep the kicker pointed in the right direction. And a tiller is just out of the question.
    I have a jet and have no problem steering with my kicker using the tiller. I rarely steer with the tiller as I use the remote for my bow mounted electric motor.
    A big advantage to a jet is that you actually have brake of sorts. I can be going 30+MPH, slam the controller into reverse and be stopped in a boat length or so and at the same time crank the wheel and be heading in the other direction.
    A down side to jets is that you need to be going at least 5 MPH or so or you will be turning the wheel a lot to stay on course.On the other hand on my jet, I only have 1/2 turn on the wheel to full lock.
    A jet will also have a larger wake when off plane.
    All jets, depending upon the type of pump can and will injest debris. Some pumps handle rocks and sticks better than others and some pumps are easier than others to clean out.
    The Hamilton(and its clones) handle rocks and sticks better than most, but, the clean out for inside the pump is inside the boat and if you open the clean out on the water the boat will flood. You pretty much have to take the boat out of the water, or back the boat into shallow water. American Turbine (and their clones) have the clean out on the outside of the boat, it still not easy, but you can clean out the pump while on the water.
    Hamilton pumps also come stock with very good reverse bucket. I have an American Turbine rock crusher, it actually spits rocks out, it came with a sad reverse bucket. I installed a high thrust reverse bucket that is larger than the Hamilton's and it works great.The high thrust part is a nozzle that is 2" smaller in diameter than the stock nozzle. I have lost 7-10 MPH in top speed, but I can get on plane in about a boat length and be at top speed in less than 2 boat lengths. This comes in real handy when going up rivers such as the Rogue.
    Everyone who owns a jet should carry a grate rake, this allows you clean the intake grate while standing in the boat or on the swim platform.
    My jet has a fairly flat bottom, so it rides rough in high waves, I chose this bottom because I go up rivers a lot. If you spend a lot time in high waves just a deep V hull, there are many jets with type of hull.
    I find that a jet is more versatile than a prop. I can go pretty much where ever a prop boat can go, but a prop boat can's go nearly as many places as a jet.
    Driving a jet takes some practice it takes power and speed to maneuver, requiring you to work the throttle. Docking takes more practice than with a prop. You need speed to maintain control, so your dock approach will be faster, but, since you have brakes, you can stop on a dime.You just have to get used to docking at a higher speed and work the throttle more than on a prop boat.
    I should also add that a jet eats more fuel, especially when going up fast flowing rivers. On the Rogue I burn 8-12 gallons/hour, on a lake about 5 gallons/hour.
    On the other hand, On East Lake (10MPH speed limit), I averaged 8 hours/day fishing and burned 12.5 gallons in 10 days. I only ran the jet 2.5 hours so I could put a little charge to my batteries.
    Last edited by skyhammer; 08-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    08 20' Rogue Marine Pro Steelheader
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

What did you say skyhammer, I couldn't hear you over the engine noise. LOL!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Skyhammer, thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed response! That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Excellent post.

Bogey, I didn't think you were stealing the post. I am certainly open to hearing all about the experiences with different boats and motors. My boating experience is a lot more limited than the folks on here. I spent a couple years with a fishing kayak first. Boats are way better... Both beat the heck out of being stuck on shore.

I am getting mixed feedback on this end regarding the etec and the 2 stroke ban. Most think they are good to go. I will find out and post. I like to play by the rules.

A Jet is sounding better and better.

Summary of Boating Restriction Timelines - Lake Whatcom, WA

January 1, 2006—The operation of all carbureted two-stroke engine powered watercraft is prohibited
    on the portion of Lake Whatcom in the City limits, except: Watercraft powered by a two-stroke
    engine whose engine is certified and labeled as meeting the 2006 or later model year US EPA emission
    standards and two-stroke carbureted engines of 10 horsepower or less.

January 1, 2007—The operation of all carbureted two-stroke engines including 10 horsepower or
    less is prohibited on the portion of Lake Whatcom in the City limits.

January 1, 2009—The operation of all carbureted two-stroke engine powered watercraft on Lake
    Whatcom is prohibited, except: Watercraft powered by a two-stroke engine that is certified and labeled
    as meeting the 2006 or later model year US EPA emissions standards, auxiliary sailboat engines, 10
    horsepower or less engines, and all electronic fuel injected two-stroke engines originally purchased
    before August 2004.

January 1, 2013—The operation of all carbureted two-stoke auxiliary sailboat engines, all carbureted
    two-stroke engines of 10 horsepower or less, and all electronic fuel injected two-stroke engines
    originally purchased before August 2004 is prohibited.

City of Bellingham Ordinance 2005-06-045 and Whatcom County Ordinance 2004-02

Just for info... I said I would post results...

Therefore the E-tec meets the standards for lake Watcom

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    What did you say skyhammer, I couldn't hear you over the engine noise. LOL!
    Jet boats can certainly be loud(mine certainly is), as most don't come stock with mufflers. There are several companies that sell mufflers for jet boats that will quiet them down a bit.
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

certified and labeled as meeting the 2006 or later model year US EPA emission
    standards = etecs. I suspect every area will have to get on board with this when you realize there is no logical reason to keep "these kind" of 2-strokes off the lake.

mharri333, man you are learning tons and appear to be enjoying your shopping experience - good for you!!! I'm envious! My buddy just ordered the 19 Tyee with 200 HP Merc, etc... I assume other than size you were happy with yours?

Enjoy

I assume other than size you were happy with yours?

Bogey,

We still talking about boats? hahahaha

The Tyee is a great boat. It is well built and prewired for future mods like adding stereos and speakers. There is extra room in the fuse panel etc... It is just a little smaller than I would like it to be. For someone that is staying on lakes and bigger rivers it is an excellent boat. I have added every toy I could think of to it. Like most, I want something bigger as my fishing has evolved a bit into other species and areas. I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade someone from buying a Lund.

Plus, I like new toys and I want to try a jet.

LOL, yup, still talking boats!! Ya, my buddy was pretty set on the 19' - supposed to be quite a boat. You only live once, go get what you want (and can afford!)

Does anyone have experience with the 4.3 in a jet? it is rated at 225 horse. Probably a little more economical than a V-8. But is the savings worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the 4.3 in a jet? it is rated at 225 horse. Probably a little more economical than a V-8. But is the savings worth it?
    Experience and in a boat at the 18' range. Jets are notorious HP draining hogs because of the inefficiency of the pump. If rated at 225, probably performs more like a 150? If you are thinking about buying new or even used for that matter, an on the water test drive is always essential.

You may very well get worse fuel economy, especially in a 20' boat. I would stick with the 5.7,6.0,6.2 engines.
    One other thing to be aware of when looking at a jet boat engine, is how it is cooled.
    A lot of older engines, usually with carbs, use fresh water cooling instead of a heat exchanger( radiator), if you suck up mud in a fresh water cooled engine, you can plug the manifolds with mud,resulting in over heating.
    Water still goes into the manifolds in an engine with a heat exchanger, but doesn't circulate in the engine cooling jackets like a fresh water cooled engine. Regardless of what type of engine you get, if it doesn't come with sand trap, buy one and install it.
    A sand trap sort of filters the water before it gets to the engine.
    This is a sand trap.
    Last edited by skyhammer; 08-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

the main thing is how much are you going to use the jet and how much are you going to use the trolling motor I use my boat on bigger lakes and in the bays, my TJ is an '04 and has 298 hrs on the main motor and pump, yet i have wore out 2 new kickers and starting on my third I bought in march of '12 and it has 185 hrs on it and I haven't used it that much this year, when I think about it I fire it up, run it up the lake which may be 15 mins and start trolling then fire it up and come in, that's another 15 mins have lunch mess around camp go back out, another 15 mins troll and back in so at an average that is an hour run time and 10 hrs troll time and most of the time it doesn't run 5 min and I am in the channel and setting up to troll. but when it is time to move or go play I have the power and speed to do so. but each person use's his boat differently. economically I don't use that much fuel on a kokanee or salmon/crabing trip to want anything smaller. dfly
    Last edited by dragonfly; 08-28-2013 at 08:42 PM.

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

DFLY, I have found the same thing with my boat now. My main doesn't have many hours on it and I fish pretty much every weekend that i can. Most of the time is on my electric trolling motor.

I found a dealership in Idaho that has a 19 ft Thunderjet with a 350 in it. I may look at that a little harder tomorrow when I get a chance. The next question will be this...

If you were ordering a brand new boat, which options are a must have? (think of it as price is no object) Although it is to some extent. I would rather see what people value as important and go from there.

if you have read my threads you can see what I have added but the thing I use most is the wash down pump ( make sure they install the one with a filter). I usually start fishing at dark so lighting is important and I have led lighting in the dog house under the gunnels, in the seat box lids and in the walk ways.so the lighting is low and no shadows but still have over head if I need it. ( this combo works great so there is no glair in the cab windows and I can see out when dark ) I don't know how many downriggers you run but make sure there is a place mount them ( I mounted mine above the rails and when you pull the weight over your clip is above the gunnels and easier to clip, although I use chamberlains ).then pole holders I have them on the dog house and above the cab to hold 8 when fishing plus the ones under the gunnels for transport. then gps and fishfinder I run 2 separate I furuno fishfinder only and a garmin chartplotter/ fishfinder for the tr-1 and back up fishfinder. for an anchor I like the Colombia rocker break away style they hold great and you don't have to worry about loosing them. make sure it has a solid kicker mount welded is better but bolted is fine as long as it is sealed good and they use a backer plate so the bolts don't pull thru. I didn't find a swim step I liked so I built mine so make sure it is lower than the swim deck if you plan on putting a big cooler back there plus it is a lot easier to get in and out of the boat when on the trailer with out crawling over the sides. I am sure there are other things that make life easier but this is a start. dfly

Nice list dfly! I'd add Yamaha T9.9 kicker with electric start/tilt and you mentioned the TR1, Gold with remote. Galvanized EZ Loader trailer with torsion suspension, disc brakes, oil wet hubs and chine guides. Also I'd look close at Northwest (Jet), very high quality and great hull design. They have a really cool front door/window system so you don't have to open the top to go on the front deck. Alan

Also forgot to mention Bentley's River Master seats on suspension bases...oh so nice!

My one experience in buying brand new was an all bells and whistles approach and I learned if given another chance, I wouldn't do that again. Dealers are not very good riggers. I paid too much to have it rigged half ass. I think I re-did everything on the boat. As an ordering point, get the basics and do the rest yourself. Drilling holes in your new boat is theraputic. LOL! With a jet, one of my #1 gotta haves is suspension seats.

like dave said all the little add on stuff I would buy/bulid and install my self you will get a better deal on line. unless you have an installer you can really trust. one other thing is duel batts and a prego switch also an on board batt maintainer you can plug in after you back it into the garage so you are not having to open batt boxes and hooking up cables. that way batts stay fresh and ready to go next time out. one thing don't get carpet it is hard to clean out, corn and eggs grind into it and pine needles are a real pain TJs vinyl is a breeze to clean just start in the cab and wash every thing to the bilge and out the drain. dfly

Here is what I have put together so far. Some of the add ons I may do myself. I agree that it is better to do them correctly the first time. What is missing?

18-20 ft.
    Thunderjet, North River, Rogue Coastal, Duckworth, Northwest Jet
    5.7 engine (min)
    Hamilton or American Turbine Rock Crusher
    Sand trap
    9.9 Yamaha Kicker (lift and electric start)
    Tr-1
    Galvanized trailer with folding tongue, oil wet hubs, disc brakes, tandem axle
    Electric Trolling Motor (I-Pilot)
    3 Batteries and on board charging system.
    Wired for two electric downriggers
    Live well
    Wash down system (with filter)
    Tall canvas with sides
    Heater in cab
    LED Lighting
    Forward running dock lights
    Pole holders
    Anchor system Columbia Rocker break away
    Full set of gauges

Possible upgrades: Bentley’s River Master seats on suspension bases

I already have a Humminbrid 1198SI HD that I would transfer
    Would need a backup FF for navigation.

You have a lot of bells and whistles just remember you will BE on your kicker trolling A LOT. I looked at a lot of boats, but wanted to make sure I could have my kicker directly mounted to the stern there will a lot of time you will not be able to use your tr 1 system you do not want your kicker on a extenstion/PLATE FORM on/OFF the back GOOD LUCK

Mharri333,
    Nice list. Most riggers I know would call that 5lb of stuff in a 3 lb sack. I see you left the battery switch off the list. I know, just an oversight.
    Low1648mt

Nice list. Most riggers I know would call that 5lb of stuff in a 3 lb sack.

You should see my Lund...

mrmike, fishing can be a cold weather environment and is one of the reasons that a tiller controlled motor would never go on one of my boats. If I had a jet boat, I think I would mount my kicker on a bracket like a Remote Troll and have throttle control up at the helm. When I wasn't on the TR-1, I could still steer and have throttle control without standing outside freezing my hind end off.

I have a Mercury 8hp kicker now. I put a "Trollmaster 3" throttle control on it. It has the ability to be upgraded with the steering control but I didn't need it on my Lund.

I highly doubt I would put that kicker on a new boat. It may have 20 hours on it but I think I would rather put a Yamaha on it and start over. I guess there is a chance I could balk at spending so much and move some gear but I don't know how I feel about moving used stuff on a new boat. Depends on how hard it is to sell the old boat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast