Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which boat would you buy?

Default Which boat would you buy?

First off, I appreciate all of the posts to this forum. I have learned a ton of info from lurking in the background. Not in a creepy way, but more of a keep your mouth closed until you know what you are doing kind of way...

I know that there are guys on here with a LOT more boat experience than me so I thought I would pose the question. I know it has been asked but this may be a little more specific and I thought others might benifit from your responses.

I am looking for a boat that will fit in a 23 foot long garage. I spend a good portion of my time fishing for Kokanee on lakes but... I would also like something I can put on the river for salmon and to some extent the Sound. ( I live in Bellingham)

I currently have a newer 17.5 foot Lund Tyee. It is very well outfitted but a little small for the sound and the sides are a little on the low side as I am tall. It also has a raised back deck that you walk up then kneel down on to get to your downriggers. I out a one foot extension on the downrigger but it is still not as good as working out of a tall sided aluminum boat.

So, I am interested in a new or lightly used boat that will fit in a 23 foot garage (on the trailer). I could get couple inches by turning it sideways but I don't want to do that any more than I have to for obvious reasons. I kinda like the idea of a jet but am not opposed to a prop. I have a 115 merc right now but would love something a little faster...

What do you suggest? What would you buy if you were going to get one right now? This might be pushing it but where would you buy it?

Thanks!

WOW! your not asking much first understand stand there no such thing as perfect boat/its what one can afford as his fishing talents in prove he expands into a bigger boat/they do make trailers with folding tongues that can be adjusted to possible make your garage work. Unless your running river you don't need a pump. A prop will work just fine. You have a guide model open boat fantastic for fighting fish and steering/ tracking they call it when trolling but harder in the elements/weather a lot harder on THE FISHING PARTY. You have a walk through windshield type a lot more comfort in bad weather they don't track well in windy days there canvas tops act like sails in the wind. If you sit on anchor a lot they are great. Its really important were your kicker is mounted on these type boats if its not mounted directly to the stern you see folks using extention handles to try and drive these boats to troll. I use my kicker 90% of the time is the most important that my kicker mounted directly to the stern. I've own both types and at this stage I prefer the guide model that just works best for me. Lunds make great boats 17 ft maybe a little small a 20 ft model maybe your ticket. Look around and see what your pocket book can afford. good luck

If you were trying to maximize boat size, an I/O or a jet would give you the most boat as the outboard adds another foot and a half. The platform on a jet might be close to the same. Get a trailer with a folding tongue. It is a bit of a broad statement but I would say that most deep gunneled boats are deep V hulls and not like a jet or for running the river. Those boats tend to be the shallower, flatter bottomed boats for running shallow water. So, your wish list kind of goes against itself. You'll need to decide which style of fishing you will be spending the majority of your time doing. Before we start recommending makes, it would be very helful to know your budget.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Ok. Let's see if I can clear this up a bit. I am trying to maximize the amount of boat I can get to allow for more power and a better ride. I would also like a little more rear room. I spend most of my time kokanee fishing on Lake Samish with one other person but venture out to Lake Chelan and Brewster and Banks Lake when I can. I like the idea of being able to go out on the sound but find that to be secondary to freshwater just because it is a pain to deal with the salt mess and I don't know where to fish yet... (I am learning salt as well) I have never had a jet so that is something I am interested in hearing more about. I figured there were also people on here that are trying to find boats that would fit in garages or have already been through that challenge. It would be a good topic to discuss.

I realize the question is pretty open. My hopes are that people would weigh in based on their experience. Such as, I love my "blank and blank boat" because of whatever. The jet is good because whatever. I assume there are guys that work on boats that can say a certain boat is 22.4 inches long when trailered and has great power. Or Stay away from this kind of boat because I work on them and know they won't last.

Budget for me is pretty open. I am single with no kids and I can afford to spend based on what I find. I will spend for quality but I am all about getting a good deal too. No sense in spending money I don't have to. If it helps I spent a little time playing in a Thunderjet at a dealer and really liked the quality. The Hewes looked decent but I didn't get knocked off my feet. But... I have only owned two boats before and I know I have a lot to learn. My Lund is a 2011 17.5 Tyee. It is a darn good boat. But I am not afraid to trade up to something even better...

Hope that helps clear it up. By the way, I love your Truck , trailer and Jetcraft set up... Very nice!

If you thought about buying new, I would hands down be looking at a Rogue Coastal. As for used, a North River or a Duckworth. I would avoid a jet. If you add the kicker motor, steering becomes an issue. You are almost forced to go with a TR-1 and that adds about $3k that I don't think is necessary.

Minn Kota Terrova with Ipilot mounted up front for steering, kicker for power, will accomplish just about the same as the TR-1 at about half the price. Several boats at the Oregon derbies are set up this way and it's a great system worth looking at.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

DLM, with a jet, one still needs a way to keep the kicker pointed in the right direction. And a tiller is just out of the question.

Mharr333 If this help you I own a jet, but I run river because I can/I also I havehad issue when in a bay crabbing with seaweed clogging the pump/I had the pump clogged numerious times with debrie/gravel/grass, but I have no prop that can hit objects and when fighting a larger fish like Salmon, I have an electric tilt on my kicker that I can lift the kicker and there is nothing that fish or line can hook itself on under my boat. I will guarantee if you get a larger boat you will be in salt Why because you can. I have a guide model 21 ft I find it for me to the perfect boat. Bow mounted electric 101 thrust Min Kota JUST put on this spring the batteries cost me $900.00 alone my power package is 175 horse sport jet the boat flat out fly's WITH A TILLER HANDLE, So a pump has issues also/if your not going to be in rivers I stay with an outboard. Inboards take up a lot of room inside your boat/I personnel have no issues with an outboard. Pumps loss 1/3 of there horse power and they lose a lot in fuel ecomony. My boat has 5 seats but I like to fish 3 it give me more room and its easier on myself. I own a Motion Marine custom build boat (has be personnel built) Model is called the OutBack boat. I find it to the best boat I've every been in, it handles like a car/ rides awesome eats up and love rough water. A MM will cost you 5to8 thousand more compared to the same boat size in any other boat. Just ask anyone who ever owned one. It just fits my style of fishing/because I fish for about everything that swims but I'm not going in the ocean with it to has its limitations. I'm not a guide I don't need anything bigger. I think that may help you on your journey when working on your power plant for your new boats it boils down to what type of fishing you do the waters fished those lake can flat out be dangerous also

An outboard will produce the most useable power over an inboard motor. But again, you'll lose a lot of boat size trying to fit it in a 23' fixed space. The boats you look for will have to be straight transom boats and no option for offshore bracket which is something I really like in a boat. I take it that you put your Lund in the garage now. How much space do you have left?

Great insight MrMike. There is actually a used Motion Marine for sale now in the Seattle area that has caught my eye. In the ad it even says that it fits in his garage. (like 50 something hours too) I appreciate the insight on the jet. A guy that I work with has had the same issue with sea weed while crabbing. Although I had that issue once with my 115 Merc outboard first time out on the salt.

Super D, I keep the Lund in the garage right now. I am pretty particular about my equipment and I also like to have it close so I can tinker with it in the eveneings. I have considered off-site storage but it adds extra cost and access issues that I would rather do without.

I have kicked around the idea of a larger boat for salt and bigger fresh water then an additional small jet type for the rivers, but two money pits might be a bit excessive (even for me)...

There has to be a happy medium. Do you think the offshore bracket is better than a longer boat with a direct connect or is it basically accomplishing the same thing?

I appreciate the feedback. This is what I was looking for...

DLM I use the I-pilot and the kicker idea on the Lund now. I thought I was brilliant when I thought of that. (apparently not so much, haha) It was spurred by low batteries after an extended day of fishing... Good insight.

Last week I read a report where Mike Carey talked about how to drop clips down the downrigger without bringing in the stacked line...Brilliant. Saved me a bunch of work last weekend on Samish.

333 speaking of clips have you tried shuttle hawks same idea only self returning. I also run a inboard jet they are more maneuverable than a prop in a bigger boat, also you don't have to worry about swimmers around the back of the boat or shallow stumps or rocks ( I just had an incident a few weeks ago where my dog was doing a balancing act on the anchor nest and fell off and went under the boat and came up where the prop would have been, and if I didn't have a jet I don't think he would have made it without serious injuries ) . when crabbing at least once a year I help a taildragger cut rope from his prop and have towed many in. I guess you can suck up stuff but in 15 years of fishing with jets I have never had that problem. I don't remember if you wanted a cab but I live in Oregon and fish and crab into dec. and it is nice having a heated and dry area to get out of the cold and rain and also the sun. I find it is easer to get people to go with you if you have one, but height is an issue I ended up building a large covered and sided carport for mine. the other thing to consider if you run downriggers are the gunnels, make sure they are wide and solid enough for you mounts . one other thing and this is my thought is thin gage alum boats I bought a second boat a 16' smokercraft lodge and it was a large boat and I thought it would be great for evening fishing after work being light and easy to load and unload by my self but compared my thunderjet it was like a cork in the water you felt every ripple and hang on when a boat passes so I would defiantly go for a heavy gage welded boat and being you are from up here I would also look at the thunderjet and if you can I would wait until the boat show in jan. ( Oregon, I don't when Washington's is ) and check out all the boats and accessories in one place. dfly
    Last edited by dragonfly; 08-21-2013 at 08:42 PM.

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Dfly, I haven't tried the shuttle hawks but will look them up in a bit.

I appreciate your input on the boat. I am with you on the difference between your two boats. I think my Lund is like your small boat. It is easy to load and unload but it is somewhat limited. It seems as though people that have jets like them and people that don't have them don't like them. Very few in the middle. Like a Chevy Ford thing. Both have ups and downs. I think I am leaning toward one at this point.

The Seattle boat show should be around the first part of February. I will definitely be there. (if I can wait that long) it will be good to go back through the boats after two years fishing out of my Lund. The last two years have been very educational and I have fished a ton. I know more of what to look for. I can't complain about the Lund really. It has been a great boat and fishes lakes well. I think next year will be more time on the river though. Especially if I get a new boat.

I have read about many of your boat upgrades. I appreciate the posts. It really helps.

I agree with Dragonfly in his statement about having a cover to get out of the weather (bimini or hardtop). If you do go with a windshield make sure that the height of your garage door will allow the boat to fit as well as the depth and width. Also, make sure that the windshield is placed farther up towards the front of the boat. Many fish/ski type boats move the windshield towards the middle of the boat to allow for seats in the bow. This is great for skiing/wakeboarding and bass fishing, but you lose a lot of usable space if the primary purpose of the boat is for trolling.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Well I did a little poking around after fishing on Saturday... I went to look at (and measure) the Hewes, Thunderjet and Weldcraft. I could get an 18 foot Hewes Sportsman in the garage no problem. I think I could even get it in without a folding tongue. the 18 foot extended transom pro-v will fit with a folding tongue but it would be very very tight. The dealership here only had 21 foot Thunderjets. I didn't bother measuring them because they had extended transoms and were obviously not going to fit. I have to say I really like the Thunderjet. They were beautiful boats. (Especially the hard tops) They had one of the 16 footers that was nice but it wouldn't be much of a change from my Lund. Next up was the Weldcraft, which would fit the bill. It was a decent set up and quality. However, I think I would prefer the Thunderjet over it.

All were outboards. None of the dealerships carried an inboard jet. I thought that was a little odd. Makes me wonder if I am the only dummy thinking about an inboard jet for this area? I spent some time looking through the websites and found that Thunderjet has an 18 foot outboard and an 18 foot inboard jet. I will probably have to wait until the boat show to check them both out and compare. Unless of course I come across a steal on a used one.

I have a week long fishing trip planned for next week. After that I will get a little more serious...

I have a buddy that runs a Thunderjet with 200 etec - I've fished in that boat many times and I really, really like it!! Very well made/solid boat. Also, can't remember if you were questioning a folding tongue or not, but that's what I've had on my set up (yes, I built my damn shop 4' shorter than I should have...) for 5 years now and it works great.

Good luck and enjoy the shopping journey!

The next boat you think you like with a hardtop, measure the height. I've yet to see one that will fit under a residential garage door.

Unfortunately, the hardtop will not fit in the garage. I measured it just to be sure. My next house will have a bigger shop for all my toys!

I have been thinking about an arch for the top that can be folded down so it can fit in the garage. That would still give me the ability to get extra poles out of the way and put some lighting up high. That is a ways out though.

That reminds me I haven't even scanned Craigslist today...ha!

Bogey, I run a 90 E-Tec wouldn't trade it for all the four strokes in the world. Just love it quiet, no smoke, oil use so low you wonder if it's working and did I mention FAST!

Seems like no matter how big the shop is it could be bigger. Take a look at the River Hawk Sea Hawk. Beautiful hull design, well built, in Oregon, and fast for the power used.

Just my 2 cents worth. - Alan

Not trying to hi-jack the thread!!!!! I have a 115 etec that I have a love/hate relationship with

I have heard good things about etec power.the lakes here have a 2stroke restriction though. What issues have you had Bogey?

Thanks for the reply downriggeral. What size boat is your 90 on?

I find it interesting that they have a 2 stroke restriction against modern power that meets or exceeds EPA requirements for outboard engines without regard to 2 or 4 stroke.

I have the 90 on a 1967 Starcraft Holiday. Love the "old" boat. It has new floors with marine vinyl, Lowrance HD7, new seats and full fish top, Yamaha T8 with electric start/tilt and Scotty downriggers. The old girl is pretty well optioned out to fish and I love to fish. I've had it 20 years.

PS I'm not trying to hy-jack the thread either

I think the restrictions they are referring to are the old engs. that mix the oil and gas together and exclude the e-tec. but the CA. guys can confirm this. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

OK, since mharri333, original poster, asked for more info, lol, I don't feel like I'm taking his thread off base! OK, I LOVE the power of my etec, I like the fuel mileage, and it's fairly quiet (have to remember I'm coming from a 60 HP 4-stroke merc prior to my etec and that motor was 7 years of rock solid performance, QUIET, GREAT fuel mileage, but hey, it wasn't a 115 powerhouse!!!!

I had a couple of starters go out, which BRP determined were bad (stuff happens) and they fixed that issue (not just my 115) I had some fuel injectors go and then there was a very frustrating mapping issue with the "brain" of the motor that took some time to track down. I have a fantastic etec guy right here in town that has treated me wonderful and I'm hoping the bugs are finally figured out, because my 5-year warranty is now up. I do have to say, WOW, some kind of power, minimal routine service work required compared to my 4-stroke - LOL, I just need it to run all the time. Since they got it fixed this last time, I've had a two 5-day trips, one 10 day trip, and two 3 day trips - NO problems!

Good luck!

E-tecs are allowed on Tahoe so now restrictions for them when a lake has a 2-stroke policy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast