Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which boat would you buy?

That's a bummer - after all the money you've spent, everything brand new - I mean you ordered off the menu - you expect what you ordered, but... at this point you just want your set up and it sounds like the TR1 is more important (since you HAVE to choose) than EFI, so get it and go fishing!!

You would think that the dealer would have done a little more research before going to the "BOAT SHOW" and selling someone on a new product. Aside from the delay in getting the boat waiting for the EFI motor to come in... Now I don't even get it.

Thinking positive. It is still a good motor that I am getting and it will have the TR1 which I really want. If I have carb problems later I will make their life a living hell... lol

Ya, it's a bummer when you put your faith in the "experts" and you get burned, but as you say, thinking positive, you're still going to have a GREAT, GREAT set up!!!!!

Default Picked up the TJ today!

Picked up the new Thunderjet today. Feels like I have been waiting forever.

Everything went pretty well with the delivery. Now I am focusing on my part of the rigging. Two fish finders and down riggers to install. I also have to load it with gear and break in the motors. Two weeks until I get to fish Chelan. Can't wait.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

By the way, only two inches to spare getting it in the garage... Whew!

MH

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	6953

Views:	124 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	6954

Views:	129 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	6955

Views:	113 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	6956

Mhari333, She's a thing of beauty! Now you gotta get some fish blood on it....... I'll be looking for your report on Chelan. Speaking of Chelan are you going to the Washington Lakes camp out/potluck in May? I'm planning on going; should be fun and educational Alan

What a GREAT looking boat!!!! (nice pics) Saying you only had 2" to spare is well, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words - wow, close!!! It's quite a journey, between the decisions, the money, the ups, and yes, the downs, the anticipation, the second guessing, all of it - but once you're on the water it will be impossible to keep the smile off your face!.

Do you know how you're mounting your DR's yet? My buddy had a friend of his make some very simple mounts for his TJ and they look sharp!

You're going to have a great summer!

Quote Originally Posted by downriggeral View Post
    Mhari333, She's a thing of beauty! Now you gotta get some fish blood on it....... I'll be looking for your report on Chelan. Speaking of Chelan are you going to the Washington Lakes camp out/potluck in May? I'm planning on going; should be fun and educational Alan
    Alan,

I am looking forward to some fish blood. I am going to follow the instructions that came with the TR-1. It says to make the first trip out on the water WITHOUT fishing gear. Take the time to learn the functions of the system...THEN add the poles. Probably a good idea.

And yes, I am planning on going to the Washington Lakes function. I am going to be there Friday-Monday. That will give me a little time to figure out where the fish are before everyone arrives. Also keep me from feeling rushed. I am staying in Chelan instead of the RV park though.

Bogey, it certainly is a journey. I can tell you last night I didn't do anything other than get the boat home and move electronics around the boat looking for mounting spots. I was still exhausted. I felt pretty good because it fit in the garage and my 4 Runner towed it ok. I was concerned about both. I was a little tense to say the least.

I would be very interested in seeing the pictures of the Thunderjet mounts if you can get them? I planned on 4 downriggers but it looks a little tight. My plan is to Mount the FF's up front then one set of DR's with a bolt on mount that goes on the railing. Fish it. Then adjust fire from there before I drill holes. Once I get a feel for how it fishes and where I stand and sit I will know where to mount the rear station for the back FF and see if it is possible to add 2 more DR's. I don't want to get overwhelmed with too many new toys at once and I don't want to drill then have to move things... I am scanning the web like crazy for DR mounting ideas.

I also took the time to build a binder with all of the manuals printed out for the various systems. It is HUGE. Lot's to learn. I am very excited.

I'm confused by the purpose and location of the gunnel railing. It looks like it makes downrigger mounting much more limited and getting in and out of the boat a PITA. Although very pricey, you might consider the bert track mounts so that you can slide the downriggers out of the way for boarding and boat use when you aren't fishing.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    I'm confused by the purpose and location of the gunnel railing. It looks like it makes downrigger mounting much more limited and getting in and out of the boat a PITA. Although very pricey, you might consider the bert track mounts so that you can slide the downriggers out of the way for boarding and boat use when you aren't fishing.
    D, The odd part for me was that the DR mounting plate (flat space on the rail) is in the rear corner. It is a triangle piece which is odd because the DR base is square. I understand that most people want the DR as far back as they can get them to keep the line out of the kicker prop. Seems like moving them forward a bit would be a little easier to access. That's what makes me think that having them mounted to the railing (at least initially) will be a good idea.

I'm leaving on a quad ride in a few minutes, when I come home this afternoon, I'll swing out to my buddy's place and take some pics (I might have some from my fishing folder - I'll take a quick look, but no matter what, I'll take some detailed ones later)

OK, real quick here is what I have. He uses two 1106's forward and two manuals in the back corner IF he fishes more than two with the DR's. I will say that I REALLY enjoy fishing his boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    I'm leaving on a quad ride in a few minutes, when I come home this afternoon, I'll swing out to my buddy's place and take some pics (I might have some from my fishing folder - I'll take a quick look, but no matter what, I'll take some detailed ones later)
    Thank you! I would really appreciate that.

mine are mounted on the railing pads and work out great as long as you have pads wide enough ( I made new pads and the other side has a davit receiver built in also) when up like that it makes hooking up a lot easer when using the ball retrievers because you bring the chamberlain / pincher up to you instead into the side of the boat that is why I use risers, stick weights and snubbers but your retriever needs to be on the riser to work as described. you can go back and see how mine are mounted. and what a nice boat love the color dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
    OK, real quick here is what I have. He uses two 1106's forward and two manuals in the back corner IF he fishes more than two with the DR's. I will say that I REALLY enjoy fishing his boat!

Interesting. He has a little shelf to mount them on. That's pretty cool. It also gives you a little place to set stuff and work a bit. I kinda like that. Thanks for taking the time Bogey!

Good luck on your new sled love the color RED'S my thing NOW LETS GET SOME slime in that thing and it ain't a fishing boat with out a small dent.

Bogey, does the shelf impede you from squeezing between the riggers to set your lines?
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Mharri333 - sent you a PM

Super D - I have fished his DR's many times - always the electric that is forward - I've never even noticed the shelf, as I always swing the boom forward and handle the clips etc... I know it's extremely SOLID.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345