Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which boat would you buy?

Here is my list of things to think about.
    What bottom thickness do you think you need, .160, .190,.250 etc. Thicker the bottom, the more weight which might influence engine size, thicker the bottom the less chance of a hole.
    Same goes for bottom width, 5.5', 6',6.5' etc. Wide bottom equals more room, but more weight.
    How many strakes do you need, 2 or 4, the more strakes the better the turn.
    I believe that a boat less than 20' will have some sort of floatation foam, this adds weight, takes up room, and if it gets wet will add weight.
    Is the boat a cab forward design, cab forward will give you more interior room, but reduces room in the bow.
    If you are getting a thicker and wider bottom, consider the 6.0 .There is also the 6.2 and the 6.2 with a super charger, basically the Corvette engine.
    If money is not a concern, take a look a P-weld boats, A member here has two I believe a 20' and a larger 24'or so at least one has a Yarnmar diesel twin.
    A Hamilton pump will probably add $3k or so. The AT rock crusher is a fine pump, much better than the original AT.
    Get a tower, I wish I had one.
    08 20' Rogue Marine Pro Steelheader
    5.7 MPI Jet
    2 Cannon Mag 10 DR.
    Lowrance HDS 8
    16' Clacka Craft
    16' Fish Craft Cat

Hope everyone is enjoying their new year and patiently waiting for spring...

I went to the Seattle boat show yesterday and checked out the new boats. Bogey asked me if I had made a decision on a boat yet. It reminded me that I didn't close out this report and kinda left everyone hanging. I thought I might as well add my thoughts since I see there is another post for someone looking at buying a new boat that may benefit from the info.

First, I will say I went back and read this thread from front to back. What a great bunch of info. Especially after seeing some of the boats on display at the show.

What did I learn? Exactly what was said. There is no such thing as the perfect boat. I think my favorite boat so far is the Thunderjet. Quality wise it is a step up from most of what I saw. Master marine has an 18.5 outboard that I think could fight the bill. I will have to go over my wish list and see if numbers work out with them next week perhaps.

Another boat that caught my eye was an 18.5 Stabicraft. Funky looking boat but looked like a pretty flexible design. I t would be better on the sound and it had the best set up for a cleaning station I have ever seen. I will try to post some pictures of it when I get on my home computer. They call it a "superfish transom".

Has anyone had any experience with a stabicraft? I don't think I would get one over a thunder jet but it was pretty intriguing.

I might also post an ad for my Lund on here. It would make someone a great boat. I would rather pass on a good deal to a fisherman than give it away at a dealership.

Anything I have heard about the Stabicraft has been nothing but good. The host of the outdoor line in Seattle used to have one and just recently sold it. He always raved at the smooth ride of the boat because of the reverse chine. He had the larger version and took that boat everywhere. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Thunderjet or the Stabicraft. Good luck boat shopping :)

Here is a pic of the Stabicraft at the Seattle boat show. Also a picture of the cleaning station/livewell that I liked.

Attachment 6838
    Attachment 6839

A buddy of mine in Alaska has a Duckworth Pacific Navigator with the Offshore bracket (18ft I think) and he loves it - prowls all over Cook Inlet and Prince William Sound fishing and shrimping. It was ok in the Kenai river but really too big a boat for the Kenai 50hp motor restriction. It does great in the Salt with a 115 on it. The advantage of an outboard is you could have a jet lower unit and a prop unit and swap them out depending on what your needs are for a particular trip. Put a water pump in each, and the swap isn't a huge job. I have that set up for my little Crestliner and the prop unit has a spacer built into it so I don't need transom jack.
    Last edited by SuperDaveMT; 01-26-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: correction

mharri333, I just answered your pm. Who did you deal with at MasterMarine? That's who we went through today on the Lund - seemed like real good guys. We walked by that stabicraft - I'd never seen one and thought "that's odd...then I looked more at the front and thought "that's cool"; wish now I'd of checked it out more!

Good luck!

I bought my Lund at Master Marine and dealt with Ben. He was good to deal with and really helped me get the boat and trailer rigged right. He was pulling adapters out and hooking things up and extensions for wires and didn't charge me anything for the extra stuff.

The service department is good but you have to keep track of time frames. They kept my boat for over three weeks once. They left it out in the rain and I almost came unglued. I mighta chewed a butt or two that day. Overall though they have been good.

The Stabicraft has me intrigued. Now I don't want to buy it just cause it's cool. (Yes I do) I know the Thunderjet will fit the bill so I will most likely play it safe.

You will be happy with the Lund. Mine has been flawless which is exactly what I wanted/needed. I didn't want to toy with someone else's broken boat. Send pics when yours comes in!

Harrison

SuperDave- I checked out the Duckworth boats as well. I haven't completely ruled them out but I was a little more drawn to the Thunderjet. It was definitely of decent quality.

I was just at the Portland boat show and seen some great boats expensive, but great. I looked at the Thunder jets nice boat also just one thing to mention just food for thought with those rear extended platforms with your trolling motor on the platform extremely hard to troll with I did notice North River had a cut out were the kicker was off the stern not on the platform/a big plus for a fisherman who does 90% of there fishing on a kicker tiller. There are some other models set up that way. Unless you invest in a TR1 System you could have some challenges your going to find with a larger boat with a walk threw windshield type sled they don't track well in the wind. Years back that was one reason I never purchased a boat with the extended platform good luck on what ever you decide

mrmike, your first mistake is thinking "tiller". Kicker on the platform makes tie bar connection to the main motor easy and controllable from the helm. If one has the bow mount electric, steering with the kicker isn't even an issue.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

when buying a new boat installing a tr-1 is a no brainer it can do way more and is easer to operate has the throttle control with it plus you can operate it any where on the boat with the remote tether . between buying a 80lb thrust trolling motor, 2 batts and a charging system you are close or at the same price as the tr-1 and you don't have to mess with charging or worrying if you will have enough batt for the day or enough time to recharge for the next day. also you can fish without constantly checking and steering so you can fish and just keep an eye out or sit in the cab out of the weather. that said I just bought a minn kota for my bow and only plan to use it when the wind gets to much for the tr-1 so I can fish thru the wind. dfly

remember if the girls don't find you handsome they better find you handy

Everyone's fishing style is a little different. I have never heard a single negative thing said about a TR-1 system so they must be good. But to assume that everyone wants to spend $3K on a steering control system is a little bold. I use the electric most of the time and only use the kicker under adverse conditions when someone will likely be at the wheel anyways.

Yea were talking quite a few more dollars with the bow mount elec /plus adding Tri 1 system your talking a lot more money here/ I just see so many guy trolling with and extended handle out to there kicker on there platforms just a poor choice that my personal thought. Its close to 4 grand for the TR1 system with installation another 2 for the elec with batteries with installation. Its some thing he should look into when he makes a choice. I did look at his Lund looks to me he got it equipped nicely /He mentioned SALMON fishing you would not be using a elec bow mount or your DR system if he anchor up some were on the CR they will get in the way. You can go off your big motor with your kicker for steering, but how about throttle control He will have fun trying to figure how and what he wants to fish for from what he mentioned he going to a bigger boat to fish different types of fish. I went to guide model sled because of what and how I fish. Works best for me I have nothing on my gunnels that a Salmon net will hook while attempting to net a fish when Salmon fishing . There are numerous thing I see other folks do I won't its just personnel choice I like my DR up in the middle of my boat I don't want to be climbing over everything to net a fish. It took me 4 boats before I got it the way I wanted it. He listens to us he will be so confused he keep his Lund

Dave what I am saying is by the time you spend 1500 on a trolling motor 350 - 400 on batts 300 for a dedicated charger and another 250 - 300 for the remote throttle control for the kicker plus all the misc.. hold downs and mounts and installation you are almost if not past the cost of the tr-1. then you have the inconvenience of charging if you are at a site with power otherwise if's a generator (another expense) and if moored you have to pack the batts in and back. while the tr-1 is always ready with a push of a button so it is a wash with a lot more connivance, if you are adding it to a new boat not to mention the re sale. dfly

My view is that the electric is a given and not a price spent versus the TR-1 but in addition to. I'm not a TR-1 expert so I could be totally clueless but the tracking and anchor features of an iPilot would be an automatic on my next boat.

the tr-1 on my boat was put on in '02 and basically like ordering a car with cruse control with navigation.it does every thing the minnkota does plus more, except hold stationary. the feature I wish it had was the spot lock but the yamaha motor would have to be able to turn 360° and is one of the reasons I am adding the minn kota which can be added any time while the tr-1 is better installed before you run everything else. I don't really need the minn kota except in the bad wind to keep the nose straight and for the spot lock other wise the tr-1 dose it all. dfly

The way the Lund is set up now I use the I-pilot 95 percent of the time. I use the kicker to help when it gets windy. The throttle control on the kicker made a huge difference as far as ease of use. I have the kicker linked to the main so I can steer with the wheel if necessary. Not a bad set-up at all. Not a TR-1 but the throttle control I put on can have the steering mechanism added but I chose not to do that. I just wanted the ability to in the future because I know me too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    The way the Lund is set up now I use the I-pilot 95 percent of the time. I use the kicker to help when it gets windy. The throttle control on the kicker made a huge difference as far as ease of use. I have the kicker linked to the main so I can steer with the wheel if necessary. Not a bad set-up at all. Not a TR-1 but the throttle control I put on can have the steering mechanism added but I chose not to do that. I just wanted the ability to in the future because I know me too well.
    This is exactly how I operate. Sadly, (sort, of, ) I just ordered a new Lund Crossover 1875 and now my Nissan 6hp 4-stroke SHORT SHAFT won't work, and my 55 lb Terrova I-pilot is a little light for the new bigger boat, so I'm going to have to buy both new - YIKE$$$$ (I'd NEVER be without an I-pilot)

I'm going to blame you for all of this Mharri333 - I kept following this thread last year and I knew at some point I was going to switch from my duck/fishing boat to a straight fishing boat, and your thread nudged me that way - I'll just be happy when I get it all paid for and can enjoy using it!!

Keep us posted, I've really enjoyed YOUR buying experience!

Well if any of you have been to the Seattle boat show I am looking at the 18.5 red Thunderjet that is at the Master Marine booth (off shore bracket). Man it is good looking but it is expensive. I am working out options with them now but I have to think over the number tonight to see if it makes sense. An awful lot of money for a few upgrades.

I am taking your feedback though and having them upgrade to the Suzuki 140 over the 115, which comes with a 3 year plus addition 3 year warranty. I am looking at matching it with a 9.9 Suzuki with remote (at helm) controls/tilt and T-1. It has the spray down system. I am also looking at a 80lb bow mount trolling motor with I-Pilot autopilot. Then I am matching it with a 3 battery system and an on board high output charger. The last thing is that I asked them to wire it for my down riggers that I will move from my old boat. Other than that I am going to add my Humminbird 1198 from the old boat too since it is only a year old. And work on my own lighting.

It's only money right??? We will see what happens.

Ya, it's only money alright - but I need to go print some!! The extras really add up fast. I've heard nothing but good things about Suzuki. I just now saw your post above about MM, glad to hear it's overall good, but I'd of freaked too, both because they had my boat for 3 weeks, AND because it was outside!!!

Like I said before, my buddy's Thunder Jet is NICE!!

Spring is coming....

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    I am taking your feedback though and having them upgrade to the Suzuki 140 over the 115, which comes with a 3 year plus addition 3 year warranty. I am looking at matching it with a 9.9 Suzuki with remote (at helm) controls/tilt and T-1. It has the spray down system. I am also looking at a 80lb bow mount trolling motor with I-Pilot autopilot. Then I am matching it with a 3 battery system and an on board high output charger. The last thing is that I asked them to wire it for my down riggers that I will move from my old boat. Other than that I am going to add my Humminbird 1198 from the old boat too since it is only a year old. And work on my own lighting.

It's only money right??? We will see what happens.
    I've ordered the exact same engine combination on my boat, Suzuki 140 and Yamaha 9.9. I am not really sure what all types of fishing you are doing but in my situation, lakes for Kokanee, the TR-1 AND the I-Pilot would be a duplication maybe. I don't know all that much about TR-1 capabilities. I went with the 80lbs I-Pilot with a troll master throttle control on the kicker.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Dave the tr-1 can do everything the I-pilot w I-link does plus you can program in other maneuvers like clover leaf. circles working out in a spiral, s-turns and zig-zags and how far and what cycle you want to do them in etc. plus you can program it to go to a spot and it will take you there no mater the wind or current or follow a track back and you can use any fishfinder/chartplotter with 0183 conn. while the minn kota I-link will only work with the hummingbird ff and maps for that feature. if you have the I- pilot minn kota like I have it will work but it will not hold corse it will keep going north (lets say) but if you have a west wind it will push you into the bank even though you will still be going north. the reason for me installing it, is when the wind gets bad and pushes my cab it will help keep the nose straight so I can fish longer. also I think I will like the spot lock. so far I have only used the tr-1 and will supplement it with the minn kota in the bad wind, so I am not worrying about charging batts when on extended fishing trips
    Last edited by dragonfly; 01-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a new boat again in my life time but if I can, the mental wrestling match that I will have about the TR-1 is, why would I spend that money on a control system vs. 2' more boat? I think I would lean towards picking the 2' bigger boat. I never fish alone, so, someone is usually at the wheel in rough seas and keeping watch for other boats.

Dave the tr-1, up here any way, the most I have seen it run was 4000 installed the minn kota if you want it to even come close to the performance of the tr-1 you would need the I-pilot with I-link a "hummingbird" FF with map, 2 batts with the hold downs and cover, a charger, all the I-link cables, etc and that's over 4000. then you would have to have someone to install it. you will then have the extra weigh and inconvenience of getting and keeping it charged. for me it is mainly the convenience of not having to do that and replace the batts every 4 years which you have to add in at 400 dollars or an extra 100 bucks a year to put out, sort of like rent to run it. other than the spot lock it still won't do what the tr-1 will do all day long day in and day out with out messing with it. ether way they both cost about in the same in the short run. but like you said you are stuck with the boat length but you can add accessories later. dfly

Drum roll please..... I just ordered a boat and put down the deposit.

Now I would have to say this is about as patient as I have ever been and some of the most research I have ever done prior to buying something. That being said it reminds me a lot of a saying my dad had... "There is no such thing as the perfect car". Well, there is no such thing as the perfect boat either. There are some awesome ones out there but they all specialize in some sort of fishing. The problem is that I like the shiny marble and I need to try new stuff. I want to catch one of everything there is to catch.

So here goes. I appreciate all of the comments and feedback. I appreciate the PM's that offered guidance in the background as well. I feel good about the product I am getting and I am confident that it will give me many years of service. Heck, I may even own it some day...

I ordered a 2014 Thunderjet Explorer in Sunfire Red. It is an 18.5 foot with an offshore bracket.
    Upgraded the motor to a Suzuki 140hp and a matching 9.9 kicker. It is the new model kicker with the electronic fuel injection and forward mounted controls at the helm.
    I am having them install a Terrova I-Pilot LINK 80lb, a three battery system and a high output (45amp) onboard charging unit.
    They are going to put a TR-1 on the kicker (I am very excited about this)
    I am having 4 plugs added for down riggers.
    It comes with a wash-down system, bench seats in the back, locking glove box, dual wipers, swim step, full canvas with sides and back drop etc etc...
    With a folding tongue it will fit inside my garage and should do just about everything I want to do.

I had to make one compromise. The kicker mount is at the back of the offshore bracket so it can be linked to the main for steering. I know most like it right at the back of the boat but that just wasn't in the cards for this one and I liked it better than anything else I looked at. With the Tr-1 and forward controls it shouldn't be a big issue.

I guess I already mentioned that I am going to put my 1198 Humminbird on it as well as my current down riggers.

I am worn out. Been thinking about this for the past few days. It is finally ordered. I should get it at the end of February. Just enough time to get it rigged prior to my Lake Chelan trip the first week in April.

I am pretty sure this is Bogeys fault..... I will post pictures when I see it next.

Thanks again for the help!

MH

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast