Thread: Shocked while fishing

Default Shocked while fishing

I decided to try a little walleye fishing for a change of pace and went out to Canyon Ferry reservoir yesterday morning. I'm out in the middle of the lake when a storm comes blowing in over the mountains. A little thunder in the distance and a pretty good rain shower, but small in size, and I can't get off the lake before it blows over so I fish through it. I had a bite on one rod (graphite rod, powerpro braid) and get a shock when I picked it up. Missed the fish and dropped the rod. Get a bite on the other rod (also graphite w/power pro) and when I look, the rod holder is arcing between the two pieces of metal that are on it. The rod is bouncing pretty good and I'm worried it's going to come out of the rod holder so I gingerly pick it up by the foam grip - no shock until I grab the reel handle - a little bit of a sting, but I tough it out (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed) and land a keeper walleye. I never saw any visible lighting or heard any thunder close by but I think I was being shocked by the passing storm somehow - electricity in the air conducted by the graphite rod or a lightning strike to the lake far from where I was perhaps . Ten minutes later everything cleared off and no issues the rest of the morning. I think this demonstrates how dangerous an electrical storm can be and to get off the lake no matter what. Anyone have a similar experience?

I had a similar thing happen but not to me.

About 15 or so years ago I was fishing at a local trout lake when a storm rolled in same as above.
    I wasn't in a boat. But my brothers and I were in a wide open stretch on a dam.

I looked at my youngest brother and his hair was standing straight on end.
    I informed him and he immediately went white and said he was a little tingly.
    My other brother and I begin moving the opposite direction of him proclaiming "get away get away".
    He was chasing in border line tears yelling for us not to leave him.(cold I know, but we were young)

He never got shocked. But it show us how dangerous it actually was. Just happened to turn into a funny story. I sit here snickering while I write.

From then on we've never taken a thunderstorm of any kind lightly

A few questions enter my mind - are graphite rods fiberglass wrapped ? Monofilament isn't conductive. Not sure about braided line ?
    If the boat was metal then perhaps you were shocked by the boat. The metal reel could have been getting current induced to it from the air.....

I was told a story once by an electronics professor that this happened to him once when as a boy he was bringing the cows in from the field as a thunderstorm was rolling in.
    He could feel his hair stand on end and he reflexively fell to the ground as lightning struck a tree on the other side of the field. I think he was quite lucky to get out of that one...
    I too give lightning a lot of respect. When it starts - I head out of the field.