Thread: Koocanusa

Default Koocanusa

Has anyone been to Koocanusa lately? Thinking about taking the Wife and two babies up for a few days and we have never been there before. I really want them to have a good time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTmountainman View Post
    Has anyone been to Koocanusa lately? Thinking about taking the Wife and two babies up for a few days and we have never been there before. I really want them to have a good time.

Thanks
    I heard that the crested 1.5' below full pool and just started dropping yesterday. Fishing has been off a little, but should be picking up. Fish are larger than normal this year. I think I will be up later in the week and will post a report.

Can anyone recommend a good area of the lake to fish this time of year? Preferably one with a campsite nearby :)

Any secret lures or baits to make sure to bring? I will have the downrigger (1, stacked) and a couple of leadcore rods. I hear the magic depth is 30' right now. That's a little deep for my leadcore rigs. Maybe some snap-weights?

I don't fish for the Kokanee but know lots of folks who do and the are all doing well up by Rexford Bench. I believe most are jigging them or running wedding rings out the back of the boat. If need specifics let me know and will see if I can find out more.

Thanks buddy! I would love to know more. We did not make it up there yet, but have tentatively planned our trip for the first week of August.

Everything's tentative with two babies

Where are you coming from and do you have a boat?

We're near Missoula. Have a boat with one downrigger we stack two lines on along with leadcore, planers, etc.

The rainbow fishing has been slow but the Kokanee fishing is supposed to be on fire. The fish are running 10-12" and are around 40-45' deep. You can try using lead core line about 6-7 colors or your down-rigger. Flashers with a wedding ring tipped with a maggot. Try north of rocky gorge. If you haves fish finder and can locate a school of fish you can jig them. Good luck.

Thanks! We leave tomorrow and are very excited :)

Any new info? I will be heading there next weekend.

Pretty much the same, just 10' deeper.

It was on fire. Now of to Noxon.

Default Koocanusa Kokanee

The Lake Koocanusa is producing a few nice sized kokanee uo to 14". Recently the water level was significantly raised and the fishing was pretty darn good.