Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyo AIS inspection

Default Wyo AIS inspection

What are you guys from Utah doing for the mandatory inspection if the port of entry is closed. We are arriving on the 4th and am thinking a lot of the stations may be closed

Thanks

It should be manned with someone to inspect your boat. If not, your going to have to wait And get inspected.
    Team:Rocky Mountain Tackle, Radical Glow, Fresh water basics, Velocity fishing.

Put in at Lucerne and drive the boat to wherever you're going. As long as your boat stays in the water, you're fine.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

If the inspection site is closed at the border then you must have your boat inspected before launch and at Buckboard or Anvil launches - both have inspectors - The Utah side is self-certified by the boat captain and the needed filled out inspection receipt.
    Leave No Man Behind !!

Quote Originally Posted by Downrigger View Post
    Put in at Lucerne and drive the boat to wherever you're going. As long as your boat stays in the water, you're fine.
    You are giving people bad info here. IF you launch your boat at a ramp or marina on the Utah side of the gorge,and stay on the Utah side a boater is not required to have a AIS sticker. IF that same boater travels into WYO waters on the gorge
    a AIS is required.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Don't start with me again Propnut. You need to read the question. The question was "what if my boat isn't inspected?" It was not "do I need an AIS sticker?"

There's a difference between the sticker requirement, which he didn't ask about, and the inspection requirement he did ask about.

While he does need a sticker to drive from Utah into Wyoming on FG, he does not need to be inspected to drive into Wyoming on the water. As long as the boat stays in the water, he is fine.

My apologizes, i misread the question.

Guys

I asked a very similar question at the Port of Entry (Evanston) my last trip to the Gorge. The WGF representative that day stated that they will man the stations later on weekends and holidays to meet boater needs. I believe he said they will be open at 6 am until 8 pm Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for the heavy weekend traffic. Since the 4th is on Thursday this year there shouldn't be a problem. Also stated in an earlier post, there is another inspection station near the main road at Anvil Draw. WGF is really making the effort to ensure everyone needing the inspection gets accomodated. KUDOS to WGF! One thing not mentioned here yet is the fact that the inspection certificate AND the cable lock ID need to be onboard and presented to the WGF if and when checked on the Wyoming side. I really don't think you'll have any problem getting your inspection this Holiday weekend.

I can't post anything without my personal opinion so here goes. Where this body of water is shared by Wyoming and Utah I find it hard to believe that the rules aren't consistent. Burbot is a prime example. Utah law states any burbot caught must not be released back into the Gorge yet Wyoming catches and tags the species for derbies and similar events. What's up wit dat? I don't believe anyone intentionally wants to be the one responsible for the contamination of Flaming Gorge with AIS but I'm sure that not everyone fully embraces the honor system under the Utah program. Just remember to respect the laws and be safe. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    My apologizes, i misread the question.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    Guys

I asked a very similar question at the Port of Entry (Evanston) my last trip to the Gorge. The WGF representative that day stated that they will man the stations later on weekends and holidays to meet boater needs. I believe he said they will be open at 6 am until 8 pm Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for the heavy weekend traffic. Since the 4th is on Thursday this year there shouldn't be a problem. Also stated in an earlier post, there is another inspection station near the main road at Anvil Draw. WGF is really making the effort to ensure everyone needing the inspection gets accomodated. KUDOS to WGF! One thing not mentioned here yet is the fact that the inspection certificate AND the cable lock ID need to be onboard and presented to the WGF if and when checked on the Wyoming side. I really don't think you'll have any problem getting your inspection this Holiday weekend.

I can't post anything without my personal opinion so here goes. Where this body of water is shared by Wyoming and Utah I find it hard to believe that the rules aren't consistent. Burbot is a prime example. Utah law states any burbot caught must not be released back into the Gorge yet Wyoming catches and tags the species for derbies and similar events. What's up wit dat? I don't believe anyone intentionally wants to be the one responsible for the contamination of Flaming Gorge with AIS but I'm sure that not everyone fully embraces the honor system under the Utah program. Just remember to respect the laws and be safe. Good luck.
    To their credit WGF has been pretty good about manning their inspection stations. They are generally there when I have gone through. I haven't had any trouble getting inspected, even though more often than not I launch in Utah anyway.

One thing Smoke, is that you only have to have your cable and certificate if you launched in WY. If you tell them you launched in Utah, then you aren't required to have them. The way the inspection law is written makes it so the only relevant action is launching, not being on the water (i.e, you can't launch a boat without an inspection). The AIS sticker law is written so as to encompass just being on the water. So as long as you have your sticker out there and you are checked by WGF and you launched in Utah, you don't need a cable/certificate.

Wyoming and Utah have always had a big male member measuring contest when it comes to stuff like this and that's why the rules aren't consistent. I believe that burbot are native to the other side of the continental divide in parts of WY and that's most likely where the fish that were illegally put in the Green River system came from. Wyoming has different rules to manage burbot since they are actually native in the state, even though invasive at the Gorge. They are not native and 100% invasive in Utah, which explains the difference there.

I think we agree that no one wants to be responsible for contaminating the Gorge and it will only be an accidental contamination if it happens. Intentional illegal stockings, such as Burbot which WGF failed to prevent before, will never be prevented. I don't see the big deal with Utah's "honor system." Unless you drive straight from Lake Mead or wherever to FG, there really isn't anything to worry about. All of the boats that leave any allegedly contaminated water in Utah are washed before they leave. I mean, how many guys this time of year are getting from a contaminated water to the Gorge in 7 days? Probably very few. The few that are fish a lot and are undoubtedly familiar with the AIS rules and know when they need to wash up and when they don't.

And, based on the inspections I've seen in WY, the honor system is probably just about as effective.

The inspections remind me of an episode of the Simpsons:

Homer: Well, there's not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol is sure doing its job.
    Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, sweetie.
    Lisa: Dad, what if I were to tell you that this rock keeps away tigers.
    Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work. It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: I see.
    Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?
    Homer: Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.
    Last edited by Downrigger; 06-27-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Simpsons hillarity

Downrigger, you were doing great until you disclosed you watch the Simpsons. LOL! Talk about a credibility killer! (I can't stand that show)
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Downrigger, you were doing great until you disclosed you watch the Simpsons. LOL! Talk about a credibility killer! (I can't stand that show)
    Only the episodes between 1990 and about 1996. A weakness of youth you might call it.

Thank you.

To their credit WGF has been pretty good about manning their inspection stations. They are generally there when I have gone through. I haven't had any trouble getting inspected, even though more often than not I launch in Utah anyway.
    Well, they could do better with a little effort to keep everyone informed - say posting deviations from schedule posted on website and informing offices of changes.

We went through Evanston last Thursday intending to stop at the port of entry for inspection. Got there and the off-ramp was closed for construction. Didn't want to have to drive extra miles to Anvil to get inspected, and called the Green River office when we stopped at the Walmart to get our reciprocal stamps. The lady I spoke to was totally surprised that they were closed, and even that I had missed something. I explained that I did not want to drive through barrels to get to the port of entry station to see if the inspectoprs were there. She did give me the cell number of the inspector, and I called him. We had to go to the Forest Service office about a mile down the road and he inspected me explaining that they were not at the port for two days due to the construction.

Now, it all worked out, but I think I was the only inspection that he had done that day and it was 2 in the afternoon. So, how many boats passed and were frustrated and never called?

I was one of them that passed on Thursday while the Port of Entry was under construction. But, I knew I was launching in Utah so I wasn't too concerned about it.

But, it would be more convenient for all involved if they posted hours, etc.

Thanks Downrigger for your clarification. I was told that I had to keep the cable tie along with the certificate onboard if I was ever checked on the water not just at launch. I've launched many times in past years on the UT side, boated up the lake only to be checked by WGF just South of the Pipeline. Maybe my boat just looks guilty to the WGF? They even came up along side on their PWC to check.

I sure hope those little bugger mussels never make it to the Gorge but they might swim upstream and through the dam. Why? Cause they got Muscle! Thanks Again.

Thanks guys

Here is a listing of inspection stations for Wyoming and times open for inspections. This should help.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/fishin...292.aspx#sect4

Guys

What is the cable lock ID?

Thanks Downrigger for your clarification. I was told that I had to keep the cable tie along with the certificate onboard if I was ever checked on the water not just at launch. I've launched many times in past years on the UT side, boated up the lake only to be checked by WGF just South of the Pipeline. Maybe my boat just looks guilty to the WGF? They even came up along side on their PWC to check.

I sure hope those little bugger mussels never make it to the Gorge but they might swim upstream and through the dam. Why? Cause they got Muscle! Thanks Again.
    The folks at the inspection station are assuming that you are going to be staying in WY and launching in WY when they give you the certificate and the lock. What they meant was that if you launch in WY and are checked on the water, you should have your certificate and cable lock with you. They are not envisioning a situation in which you can launch in another state (such as Utah) and drive into Wyoming on the water, which is why you don't need the cable lock if you tell them you launched in Utah. Say you drove from Salt Lake City to Manila on Highway 40. You'd be in Utah the whole time and wouldn't ever be inspected by Wyoming.

Your life will be easier if you just keep it on your boat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Walldiver View Post
    What is the cable lock ID?
    When you go through an inspection station in Wyoming now, they lock your boat to your trailer with a cable that has a lock on it. Each lock is serialized. That's what is being referred to as a "cable lock."

The cable lock is made in New York, btw. I thought that was funny.

When you go through an inspection station in Wyoming now, they lock your boat to your trailer with a cable that has a lock on it. Each lock is serialized. That's what is being referred to as a "cable lock."

The cable lock is made in New York, btw. I thought that was funny.[/QUOTE]

Lets see if I understand this. Do they keep the key and I do not have one? Every morning I go out, they have to unlock it? I have to have them remove it the last day I fish?

The folks at the inspection station are assuming that you are going to be staying in WY and launching in WY when they give you the certificate and the lock. What they meant was that if you launch in WY and are checked on the water, you should have your certificate and cable lock with you. They are not envisioning a situation in which you can launch in another state (such as Utah) and drive into Wyoming on the water, which is why you don't need the cable lock if you tell them you launched in Utah. Say you drove from Salt Lake City to Manila on Highway 40. You'd be in Utah the whole time and wouldn't ever be inspected by Wyoming.

Your life will be easier if you just keep it on your boat though.

Better to be made in the U.S.A. then China,don't you think?

Here is a couple of pic's of the lock I received.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7030018.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	6469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7030016.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	6470  

Lets see if I understand this. Do they keep the key and I do not have one? Every morning I go out, they have to unlock it? I have to have them remove it the last day I fish?[/QUOTE]

You have to cut the cable with a pair of pliers or something to be able to launch. Then if you pull your boat out of the water, you have to be re-inspected and re-locked before you can launch again. I'm not saying it is a good system.

There is no key. The "lock" just fastens on to the cable so you can't remove the cable from the lock and re-use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69
    Better to be made in the U.S.A. then China,don't you think?
    At least in China you can still buy a soda and you don't have to have your personal spaces invaded to launch a boat.

Lets see if I understand this. Do they keep the key and I do not have one? Every morning I go out, they have to unlock it? I have to have them remove it the last day I fish?
    Keyless lock, just cut the cable and launch, but keep the lock and yellow certificate on the boat while you are in Wyoming. The were checking the second day I was at Buckboard, but just asked if I had the cable and certificate. I said yes, and was good to go.

Thanks guys for the clarification of the cable lock. Seems kind of strange, but I give them credit for the effort to keep the little buggers out of FG and nice to know that the 30 bucks you pay for the AIS sticker is used for such efforts.

I'm just waiting to see who posts first about a citation they got because of some obscure ambiquity about this whole thing. It's bound to happen. Just too many guys with too many versions of what they think it means.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast