Thread: Utah side of FG

Default Utah side of FG

We are headed up to the gorge the second or third weekend of July, we will only be fishing the Utah side of the lake. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go for Kokes? I will have my two nephews with me as well. Anyone have any sure fire tactics for getting them into some bass? I'm sure we will be able to pick up some kokes and some bows trolling, but if I could give them a way to fish that would produce faster results it would be awesome. Thanks!

Koke fishing has been really good in Jarvies Bay, Hideout, and in Sheep Creek Bay near the red cliffs (Just to name a few). As of this weekend, most of my fish were caught between 40-60 ft, but I caught a couple down as deep as 75 ft. In July, you will likely be fishing on the deeper end of that range.

Bass fishing is on fire right now, and it should be good in July too, providing the cicada hatch we have is still this intense. Cicadas are buzzing in the trees all over the lower reservoir, and when they hit the water, the bass and bows are slamming them. Top waters early and late, or even during the day if it's calm, has been phenomenal. It's a great opportunity for kids, if you're okay with them flinging double treble top water plugs! I've recently done well with Rebel Hopper topwaters, in black/gold, but have always done well with Rebel PopRs too. The later are a little heavier and easier to cast. If the top water bite is slow, or if you're fishing later in the day, a single tailed grub in earthtone colors, rigged on a 3/8 oz jighead is always a good option. Smallmouth fishing is good at all the locations I described above. I've been also catching some really nice bows on top too.

Hope it helps, Ryno

Default 4.07lb kokanee

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	6431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	6430buck board fishing was hot this weekend! 4.07 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Koke fishing has been really good in Jarvies Bay, Hideout, and in Sheep Creek Bay near the red cliffs (Just to name a few). As of this weekend, most of my fish were caught between 40-60 ft, but I caught a couple down as deep as 75 ft. In July, you will likely be fishing on the deeper end of that range.

Bass fishing is on fire right now, and it should be good in July too, providing the cicada hatch we have is still this intense. Cicadas are buzzing in the trees all over the lower reservoir, and when they hit the water, the bass and bows are slamming them. Top waters early and late, or even during the day if it's calm, has been phenomenal. It's a great opportunity for kids, if you're okay with them flinging double treble top water plugs! I've recently done well with Rebel Hopper topwaters, in black/gold, but have always done well with Rebel PopRs too. The later are a little heavier and easier to cast. If the top water bite is slow, or if you're fishing later in the day, a single tailed grub in earthtone colors, rigged on a 3/8 oz jighead is always a good option. Smallmouth fishing is good at all the locations I described above. I've been also catching some really nice bows on top too.

Hope it helps, Ryno
    How big are the kokes on the Utah side? Seems like they are bigger the further north you run. Is that the case you are seeing?

Definitely. Bigger kokes on the Utah side have been running about 2.5 lbs and 17 inches.

Ryno.... Thanks for the great info... any thoughts on a worm under a bobber for small mouth, I know minnows aren't allowed. Just curious!

I'm sure you could, and even possibly catch some bows. The only thing that could make it less successful is surface temps. If its really warm by then, you might do better without the bobber.

Don't pass by the Boars Tusk without wetting a line! Always good smallie action and the bows come alive right before dark in that little side bay.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeOnTheWater View Post
    Don't pass by the Boars Tusk without wetting a line! Always good smallie action and the bows come alive right before dark in that little side bay.
    Where's the boars tusk?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhunter15 View Post
    Where's the boars tusk?
    Hideout, the bay I think he's talking about is down the hill from the campground on the west side.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

The Boar's Tusk is a long ridge coming off Bare Top on the south end of Antelope Flat. You'll boat right passed it, if you go through the narrow gap between Lucerne to Sheep Creek Bay. The Google image I attached should help you out.

Attachment 6466

what combo's are you guys finding to work best in the utah side? hooked to a D-Rigger? looking to catch fish, either bows or kokes, I'm happy to get fish on is all lol

I've been most productive with a RMT dodger in Hyperplaid, Fusion, or Bahama Mama with a pink squid trailing it. I've also had some days where an orange squid has outperformed pink, and when all they would hit was spoons (RMT in Tequila Sunrise or Carribean Sunset), but they are few. The kokes are a little deeper on the Utah side, probably because of the water temps, and I've been trolling about 60-80 ft for the bigger kokes. Rainbows will be shallower in the open water, but most of my rainbow action has come from casting topwaters (Rebel hoppers or cicada fly fishing patterns) to shore. With all of the cicadas this year, the bass and bows are really taking advantage of that forage opportunity. Good luck, Ryno

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    I've been most productive with a RMT dodger in Hyperplaid, Fusion, or Bahama Mama with a pink squid trailing it. I've also had some days where an orange squid has outperformed pink, and when all they would hit was spoons (RMT in Tequila Sunrise or Carribean Sunset), but they are few. The kokes are a little deeper on the Utah side, probably because of the water temps, and I've been trolling about 60-80 ft for the bigger kokes. Rainbows will be shallower in the open water, but most of my rainbow action has come from casting topwaters (Rebel hoppers or cicada fly fishing patterns) to shore. With all of the cicadas this year, the bass and bows are really taking advantage of that forage opportunity. Good luck, Ryno

thank you for the update, how much leader are you running between the dodger and squid?

also how much line do you let out before you clip it to the D-Rigger? im running a long (4') extended release & not sure how much to let out to get it away from the weight ball

I run the leaders no more than 12-inches behind the dodger. I do longer setbacks behind the ball when shallow and shorter when deeper. Today my setback was about 70-80 ft. If you're using your ball as an attractor then you want to go real short, but I don't do that. Maybe someone else will chime in on that protocol. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ryno; 07-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.

it seams like all the reports are now saying 50+ feet down for fish. so it looks like deep it will be.
    so ill have to try out the 70-80 you are trying

how close would you say is the closest to run it without using the ball as an attraction?

ive heard some hook pop gear directly to the ball, if running that case, you'd want it set right close to the ball correct?

sorry for all my newbie dumb questions, im new to down rigger fishing and trying to learn as much as anyone is willing to teach

If I see a lot of fish looking at my downrigger balls, I'll do a short 10' setback.

Thanks for the info.
    We need a new fish finder for sure.
    Ours came with a garmin that I think sucks, don't show the Ball or even speed.

Guess ill have to start a new thread & get input on a good new one.

I have noticed that when the ball is as deep as 40' or more, I only let line out to the back of the boat then clip to the rigger. Being that deep the shorter setback of 10' max seems to bring my catch rate up.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUBBS View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    We need a new fish finder for sure.
    Ours came with a garmin that I think sucks, don't show the Ball or even speed.

Guess ill have to start a new thread & get input on a good new one.
    It's good to have a unit you can trust for sure, so you know what depth to target. Try adjusting your transducer angle to hit off your DR balls. You may also need to turn your sensitivity up.

Never thought of that. Ill have to look into it & see if I can.
    Probably just need to angle it more downward?

Or back to compensate for blow back when you're trolling.

What kind of speeds have you been trolling at? I was at a local lake here in Colorado and the Kokes were only taking if speeds were around 2.2 - 2.5 mph. Has the Gorge been the same way? Thanks!

Probably average about 1.8 mph, but some days faster is better and I will go up to 2.2 mph. I've had years when that's all I would troll, but I'm not sure why the speed they desire is so variable.