Thread: Advice for jigging rod

Default Advice for jigging rod

Just caught my first Koke on a borrowed trolling rod and I'm pretty well hooked. I just picked up a Lamiglass Kokanee special and A.B. 4601 but would also like to do some jigging. I did a search and understand something around a 6-1/2' length, medium action spinning rod with a sensitive tip but can you guys give me some examples of rods you use? Reel recommendations would be cool too. I'd like to get a few models to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap6303 View Post
    Just caught my first Koke on a borrowed trolling rod and I'm pretty well hooked. I just picked up a Lamiglass Kokanee special and A.B. 4601 but would also like to do some jigging. I did a search and understand something around a 6-1/2' length, medium action spinning rod with a sensitive tip but can you guys give me some examples of rods you use? Reel recommendations would be cool too. I'd like to get a few models to take a look at.
    Cabelas Magtouch, or better yet Platinum series. Medium, 4-10 or 6-12 line weight. Small spinning reel, or better yet Diawa digital line counter if you can cast a bait caster. Pretty spendy but hard to beat.

Don't know why anyone would need a spinning outfit for jigging. The idea is to set up over the fish. Linecounter reel to insure you are at the fishes level!
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I use a stiffer rod and I never Jig straight up and down. I throw the lure out as far as possible and then jig it back in. As soon as it hits the water I count 1 one thousand 2 one thousand and go to about 4 or 5 the first cast. I try that depth about 10 times then drop it down a couple more till I get hit then fish that depth. It works great when the fish are jumping like early in the morning at Odell Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Don't know why anyone would need a spinning outfit for jigging. The idea is to set up over the fish. Linecounter reel to insure you are at the fishes level!
    I tried a levelwind linecounter the first couple times jigging years ago... switched to a spinning reel and have never looked back. The main issue with line counter reels is they recommend a certain weight line for best accuracy (my Dawia is 10lb test mono.) For vertical jigging braided line is a big advantage but it's diameter of 4-6lb mono. It might not be that big of issue casting out to jumpers but when your targeting kokes showing on the finder straight down at the 80-100' level it helps to be as accurate as possible. For those useing linecounters for jigging... measure out 100' of line and see what the counter reads... you might be surprised. I haven't checked out the new digital counters though... is it possible to calibrate them for distance out with different line weight/thickness?
    Last edited by SilverBullets; 06-16-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Calibration is done no differently than a downrigger. You move up and down in the water column until you catch fish. Now you have something to go back to regardless if it is off the true measurement. The spin casting method described sounds like a wing and a prayer fishing a lot of dead water.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

I have a hard time relating jigging with kokanee. I know a lot who do jig for them but my experience living back east I jigged a lot for crappie.

Thanks for the advice everyone. A casting rod sounds good and the Cabelas Magtouch looks like it may be a good way to go. I've got an Okuma Citrix with braided on it that could do double duty for awhile to get started. The 6' Magtouch is on sale right now so I'll take a closer look.

Not quite on topic, but...

I read in last month's Salmon Trout Steelhead magazine about moving the hook off the bottom of the jig and using a short leader at the top so that the hook hangs about half way down the length of the jig. Says it hasn't affected getting a good hook up and it prevents the hook from tangling in your line. I guess that would mostly be for the guys (and gals) that cast the jig.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Opinions anybody?

Jess
    The catchin' is only half the reason...

Old guy jess/ use what you have a spinning outfit or a bait cast outfit (open face) doesn't take a brain sturgeons it all can be work out on a line counter its easy non line counter count how many feet to a complete back and forth distance on the line spool . Then you will know approx. each back and forth is (say 10 ft) second you can use your pole if its a 6 ft/or 8 ft pole count and put a mark or line stopper at every 25 or so ft it will put in you in the ball park if your marking fish at 75 ft you want Braid line has no strech start below them say 80 ft jig and you will be at there level./good luck

Default A little off topic, part deux

Lets try this again...

What I was trying (unsuccessfully) to describe is this: Attachment 6476. Where the treble hook is removed from the end of the jig and a single assist hook tied on at the nose.

It seems like a solution to line tangles when casting or letting down too quickly, but I have to wonder if you can still get an effective hook-up when Mr. Koke gets interested?

Opinions? Experience?

FYI: page 28 -- June-July.2013 issue Salmon Trout Steelheader magazine

Jess
    The catchin' is only half the reason...

Quote Originally Posted by old guy jess View Post
    Not quite on topic, but...

I read in last month's Salmon Trout Steelhead magazine about moving the hook off the bottom of the jig and using a short leader at the top so that the hook hangs about half way down the length of the jig. Says it hasn't affected getting a good hook up and it prevents the hook from tangling in your line. I guess that would mostly be for the guys (and gals) that cast the jig.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Opinions anybody?

Jess
    I've seen that set-up but seems like more of a saltwater bottom fishing thing. With the minimal rod lift needed for kokanee jigs you very rarely get the hook wrapped up.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/price/salt...ing-price.html