Thread: Going Kokanee Fishing for the first time!

Question Going Kokanee Fishing for the first time!

So I'm attempting to go fishing for Kokanee for the first time this weekend and could use all your advice.

This is my current setup:
    • 17' runabout boat
    • 115 Main engine (won't be using)
    • 8HP kicker (will use to troll)
    • Two regular fishing rods (the spool kind)
    • Crappy old fish finder

My Plan:
    I'm hoping I can use the mini dipsy diver to get down to the depth since I don't have downriggers
    I will troll around the lake at low low speeds at around 8:30AM
    I will call it quits around 11AM

My Rods Setup (HELP) - Which one do you think is right or am I all wrong?
    Reel -> Dipsy diver -> shock absorbing rubber thingy <- 2ft spacer line? -> Dodger <- 12 inches of line -> Lure
    Reel -> Dipsy diver -> shock absorbing rubber thingy <- 24-48 inches of line -> Lure

Lure Ideas:
    • White shoe peg corn marinated in ansie oil
    • Kokanee Killer Spooner
    • Random jigs/trollers

My Questions:
    • What hooks should I use?
    • Should I do dipsy diver or do jigging/bottom fishing?
    • What sized dodge should I use? Or do I even need one?
    • How much time should I wait between trying a different dodger/bait setup?
    • Any other advice or recommendations?

I will be totally happy if me and my bro could catch just one fish!! This is our 1st time fishing in 10 years! Many thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by tinmanchris; 06-06-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Where are you fishing? State? Lake/resivor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee Kid View Post
    Where are you fishing? State? Lake/resivor?
    It is a state stocked lake in Washington.

Sent you a private message with my number. Call me as soon as you can.

Well, was hoping to see if it is a lake I fish, and tell you what I know before I go to bed(graveyard shift). I am sure someone will help you out, best of luck and tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee Kid View Post
    Well, was hoping to see if it is a lake I fish, and tell you what I know before I go to bed(graveyard shift). I am sure someone will help you out, best of luck and tight lines!
    Sent you a PM back.

Here's what I bought so far... I'm still tracking a dipsy diver that is the right size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0720.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	6368

• Box of size 2 hooks
    • rubber snubber
    • Two needlefish trolling jigs
    • Mac's Kokanee Killer
    • Anise Oil
    • 12lb Line (for leader)
    • Small Dodger
    • Medium Dodge

I already have swivels. What else am I missing or which items should I return? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tinmanchris View Post
    Here's what I bought so far... I'm still tracking a dipsy diver that is the right size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0720.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	6368

• Box of size 2 hooks
    • rubber snubber
    • Two needlefish trolling jigs
    • Mac's Kokanee Killer
    • Anise Oil
    • 12lb Line (for leader)
    • Small Dodger
    • Medium Dodge

I already have swivels. What else am I missing or which items should I return? Thanks.
    Chris!
    Looks like your on the right track! Sometimes it's hard to take in all the info, let alone apply the newly gained info to fishing. I'm sure the "Kid" will give you plenty of it!!! Just kidding Chuck!!!
    But if you and your bro find yourselves close to Lakewood tomorrow around 6PM ish I'm going to do some circles on American after work till dark. But if you too are morning people I'll be there Saturday morning also around 5AM and will fish till 11AM have to go to another graduation and party. I launch at Tillicum but I can meet/pick you up at Russell or Lake City if you like. I only have a 16' boat but have fished 3 with no problem, can't guarantee we'd catch anything(it's fishing after all right) but you can get an idea on how all the stuff you bought works for kokanee fishing.
    No it's not going to cost you anything either......maybe a cup of coffee!!!
    Send me note if you and your bro want to get out for a couple of hours, I'd be happy to take ya!
    Winterun

Chris,
    Also, forgot to say since you asked. You mentioned it's been 10 years since you last fished, I'd return the Lazer Sharp hooks if you want a chance at catching anything!!! There's a lot better hooks out there now!!! I can spare some of mine if you guys come out!!!

Hey Winterun!

Thanks for the offer however I'm sadly booked this weekend and only have Sunday morning to fish. I'll probably hit you up when I finally get a free weekend to do something. What hooks do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by tinmanchris View Post
    Hey Winterun!

Thanks for the offer however I'm sadly booked this weekend and only have Sunday morning to fish. I'll probably hit you up when I finally get a free weekend to do something. What hooks do you recommend?
    tinmanchris,
    No worries!!! "Sometimes life gets in the way" quoted by some of my fishing buddies!!! NOAA is calling for 13mph winds this evening anyway, so it would have been a tough night, it tends to keep most fishermen off the water and hopefully some skiers also!!! So it won't be so crowded tonight, wish me luck!!!
    On Sunday, I planned on chasing after a summer run Steelhead out on the coast, or maybe a Chinook out in Puget Sound, can't decide!!!
    As for the hooks "Gamakatsu" of course!!!
    Good Luck Fishing,
    Joe
    (send me a note anytime, I fish almost every weekend, that's what there for right)
    Last edited by Winterun; 06-07-2013 at 12:40 PM.