Thread: Lake Cushman Report - 5/25/13

Cool Lake Cushman Report - 5/25/13

Finally! I was able to get out on a body of water, catch kokanee, and now be able to provide a report on this forum!

My daughter and I fished Lake Cushman, Saturday, 5/25/13. My first time on the lake, but since we have property 7 miles north of Hoodsport, it is close and fishable. Being I get up at 4:15 am weekdays, and this was a mini vacation, we got out on the water around 8:30 am. Launched at the Skokomish Park launch. It was cloudy, raining, windy of and on, cold, and just plain miserable - but that's the way the fish like it! We only saw two other boats; one leaving when we were launching and a tribal boat hauling out while we were too. Took about 10 minutes and my daughter had her first kokanee of the day. The surface temp of the water was 56 degrees. We found the fish to the east of the ramp, when we got to water deeper than 85 ft, the fish were around 40 feet and above, and basically when the gear went through the schools, we'd get a bump or fish. I don't have down riggers yet, so we were long lining with a 2 oz. banana weight, from 50 to 70 feet back. I set up my daughter with a watermelon, Dick Nite, 4/0 dodger, a pink double glow hoochie about 12 inches back of it, and a gold willow leaf style blade I stole off another lure. (I'll try to post a pic later) I don't have a speedometer, but I was trolling at a tad bit above the idle speed of my 20 HP, 1990 Evindrude....so maybe 1 to 1 1/4 MPH max. They liked it a tad faster than idle speed, but we did catch a few at idle speed. Her rig was the deal, as mine wasn't getting any real action at all. At first I tried a 4 oz. banana weight to just differ in depth to search for fish and a watermelon/copper, Simon Wobbler (a Herzog creation), also with a pink double glow hoochie, but when I saw the fish were in the upper water column I switched up to 2 oz. too. Didn't matter, still nothing on my rig. I even tried a Rocky Mt. Tackle 4.25 UV watermelon, At-Tak sling blade rig and had no real catching action. She finally out-fished me and had her limit so I took her rig and caught the rest of mine. Hey! I am the dad! LOL!! We had both limits by 11 am and were at the Hoodsport Coffee shop by 11:30 am.

No huge fish, just between 6 and 10 inches. Mainly had to keep them all due to the tandem hook rig tearing them up. Caught 9 kokanee and one 14 inch rainbow. Smoked them all. The kokanee, though small, had a beautiful "salmon" colored meat to them - MMMMMM!

This lake is open year round, but there are NO public launches open year round, which is irritating come April when I want to be out there. The Skokomish Park launch opens May 1 and is open 24 hrs to launch, you just have to pay on the way out (or they have a person in the office from 8am to 9 pm to pay), but closes in October. Don't know the deal on the Lake Cushman Resort, but they weren't open in mid April either, and I believe they aren't open until May 1 too. Both cost the same to launch anyway. Being it isn't fishable year round, I think they should make it a ten fish/person limit (or more) as Alder is, to thin out the small ones. I may have to write the WDFW and get their opinion and suggest it.

Word to the wise about the Skokomish Park launch. Make sure your motor is tilted all the way up before launching, as the launch is very shallow. I thank my daughter for seeing this before I tore my outboard off while launching! Or possible have damaged it. Also mind the depth on your way in and make sure to shut off the motor and tilt it up before it hits the bottom. Maybe this is due to the lake level....but I am not familiar with the lake.

I would have taken pics, but the weather was so miserable, we just wanted to get in the truck, crank the heater, and leave. Next time I will take pics......but at least I got a report in the forum! Cool! I really appreciate every one else's reports! They are what have been helping me get set up and choosing rigs for various bodies of water. Thanks!!

Do you fillet them when you smoke them, or do you smoke them whole??? I caught a bunch of little guys in Alder saturday, saving them for the smoker.

I gut them, clean the gut cavity well, leave them whole, and break tooth picks in half to keep the body cavity open while smoking, with them laying on their side. My filleting abilities on fish that size would cost me more meat than I would gain. LOL!! But in the end, it is quite easy to pull the skin off (just break the head off first), and then peel the meat off the bones with a fairly low occurrence of bones left in the meat. You mainly get the rib cage bones, if your are not careful there, and sometimes that amount of meat is not worth picking it off the bones anyway since it isn't much to warrant so. I use a Little Chief - IN the box for temp control - and one or two pans of alder chips.

Smoke away my friend!

Nice write up Nickel! We own property on the backside of the lake. If your ever wanting to go when public launches are closed... any time of the year let me know. I'm always looking for a way to get out! I've yet to meet another angler in WA to fish with besides a couple friends who know close to nothing about fishing! i'm from AZ and just recently got a huge itch for fishing the NW. When the water gets low the weather might be crappy and if your boat is to big I have a 10ft deep v... in laws won't let me fish off the nice ski boat?!? Anyways I plan on fishing Cushman 2nd and 4th weekends in June making morning and night runs with different people... will see what we catch. Thats awesome you caught a rainbow i bet that meat was very nice as well! Any fish out of Cushman will be superb. We do have access to the lower lake Kokanee as well which has an awesome stocked fishery and i believe they stocked kokanee fingerlings last may-oct... caught one last month was only about 8in.... i wonder if that would be about average size right now?....the rainbows are nice size and lots of holdovers. Anyway i plan on bringing my smoker up and trying it out for my first time next weekend! woohoo!
    Last edited by AquaKing; 05-31-2013 at 12:15 AM.

AquaKing,

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely remember this. I haven't tried Lake Kokanee yet, but was going to if it was just impossible to get on Cushman. Both offer an opportunity no matter what. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when I will be getting back up there before July, and even then I may not get any fishing in....sometimes the weekend/extended weekend is just too rushed. Especially with crabbing season coming upon us too.

I wil PM you if I head up there to fish and maybe we can meet up on the lake. Talk at you later.