Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Samish

Back to Samish today. I got there and had my boat in the water by 6:00 AM. The rain started just as I put my boat in. I headed across the lake and a little North. I tried different lures and Sling blades at first. Then I
    went back to a Bloody Mary with a sling blade in chrome and with red tape. The other pole had a Green Ice spinner and a multi colored uv sling blade.
    I caught a couple of Koks in the range of 10" or 11" I also caught 3 or 4 squaw fish. then there were the usual drive byes and a couple of long distance releases. The last fish of the day was a 16 1/4 " cutthroat. Nice fish, but it didn't put up as much fight as the Koks. It quite raining about that time and the wind came up. As I had an appointment elsewhere, I called it quits. Water temp at 58*. Fish were more scattered than a couple of days ago. Depth was 15'( cutthroat) to 50 ' (squaw fish). Koks In small schools where ever you find them. Bait was Purple died corn with herring scent. 3 hours on the lake and only 3 fish to take home. Still More fun than working.

The fish are definitely starting to spread out a bit. Hopefully the weather holds for the weekend. I will be there tomorrow morning at 5 to give it another shot. Thanks for the report.

Fished Samish Saturday morning. Fish were spread out and tougher to find. The bite seemed slower but we limited just after 8 am. Probably would have been slow but we ended up with a triple that kicked things up a notch. Big hitter today was an orange assassin then a red/green wedding ring. Trolled at 1.1 mph. Lost a lot of fish this morning which was kind of nerve racking. All in all a great day on the water. Be there in about 6 hours to try it again :)

We fished Samish early this morning. We were at our limit at 7am. Orange was the color knocking them back today. Anything orange was getting hits. most bites were around 35 feet in about 60 feet of water. Biggest was just over 14 inches caught at 40 feet. Better groups of fish today but nothing like 3 weeks ago.

Had a chance to try out the new chamberlain releases today. I didn't use them right off the bat but started after getting a few in the well. Seemed to work just fine. Looking forward to more practice with them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mharri333 View Post
    Had a chance to try out the new chamberlain releases today. I didn't use them right off the bat but started after getting a few in the well. Seemed to work just fine. Looking forward to more practice with them :)
    I thought that I had the only Chamberlain releases in the state. Haven't used mine yet but glad to hear that they work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee Katcher View Post
    I thought that I had the only Chamberlain releases in the state. Haven't used mine yet but glad to hear that they work as advertised.

I took a couple of them and tried to get them to work. You have to adjust the tension for the top line end versus the lure end. After dragging a couple of surfer kokanee around I got the tension right. Last two or three fish had perfect releases. I also didn't lose any of those fish which I thought was interesting. You should definately give them a try.
    Last edited by Mharri333; 06-04-2013 at 11:31 PM.

I fished Lake Samish again today. This time I noticed something new. I arrived a little later than I should have. I missed out on prime time. I didn't get skunked, but it was close. I picked up two Koks and caught 8 or 10 squaw fish.
    When I was loading up my boat a crew arrived to set things up for paving the lot. They are also going to add a floating dock.
    The other thing I noticed was that there are some sort of worms or such on the fins and tail of the larger Kok. The worms are small and white. There were none on the smaller Kok. Lets see if this picture will jump in hear for me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00068.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	6358[ATTACHNFIG]6359[/ATTACh]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00070.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	6359  
    Last edited by lowe1648mt; 06-04-2013 at 07:42 PM.

I had some of those on my kokes last weekend too. I don't recall seeing any last year but a few this year. I think they are called sea lice. Parasites. Paste the link below into your browser. I think this is what they are.

I find I catch more of the trash fish if I use the red gulp maggots. Pretty much stopped using them because of that.

http://www.upei.ca/~anatphys/Sea_Lice/lep.jpg

They are parasitic copepods; pretty common in many of the State's lakes. Often see them on rainbow trout and even summer steelhead in the rivers. Typically they do not cause the fish significant problems and as external parasites they do not affect the edibility of your kokanee (much like sea lice on salmon in the salt).

Don't often see them on kokanee though the last couple of years they seem much more common; on Stevens where I do most of my kokanee fishing there are some on virtually every kokanee. The reason for them being more common is unknown but could be related to changed conditions in the lakes.

Curt

Again I thank you Curt. Also thank you mHarri333. Good info.

Anyone fished Samish recently? I didn't get to go last weekend. I might hit it Saturday morning.

Fished Lake Samish Saturday and today (Sunday) with my fishing buddy neighbor. We were able to limit both days but certainly had to work harder to get it done. We had a couple of nice fish in the bunch but nothing as big as last year yet. Orange was not as hot this week. It did ok on Saturday but not on Sunday. The biggest hit was a red wedding ring (home made with a glow bead or two). The red and green combo worked well also. I also had good luck on Saturday with a yellowish green glow assassin. Although it did not produce on Sunday.

All in all it was a great weekend. A little windy but doable. Still getting to know the Chaimberland releases. A little frustrating at first but better success rate with them.Oh, I also picked up a couple of Lamiglass Kokanee rods. I broke one of my Tica's Saturday and decided to make it a matching set. Loved fishing with them on Sunday. (great recommendation from one of the threads here)...

Hope everyone had a productive Fathers Day!

do you feel that the lamiglaqss kokanee jj rod is a better action rod that the tica kokanee rod ? I haven't fished for kokanee for about 20 years, need to start over with all new gear. any tips on gear would be great.
    Thanks,
    redfred

Between the two of us we have used 4 Tica rods ( and reels) for the past two seasons. They have worked flawlessly and were inexpensive. We also used those same poles and reels to catch sockeye on Brewster and Baker. I am a big fan. I read the posts on the Lamiglass so I decided to check them out after breaking the Tica. They felt nice so I picked up 2. (they were 20 percent off at Yeagers in Bellingham). I love the feel and the action. The Tica is 52 buck I think. It is a good rod for the price. My neighbor is still using two but is eyeing the Lamiglass now. I don't think you would go wrong either way. It is a matter of 52 bucks vs 100 bucks ( or 80 while on sale). If money is not a factor get the Lamiglass. If it is go with the Tica. It is a great rod. The reel is very good too. Yeagers often does a package deal for the rod and reel if you ask. at the end of the season they do a sale and that's when I bought my last one.

Well, the neighbor and I fished Samish again on last Saturday morning. We hit it early and ended up with our limits before 8am again. Fish were grouped up on the east side of the lake. Red wedding rings seemed to be the ticket. Biggest fish was 15 inches. Down about 40 feet or so.

Nice Work!!!

I hit Lake Samish this morning. First rod in the water at 0630. Before I could put maggots on the second pole, I had my first Kok. I then put maggots (pink) one the first pole and put it on the downrigger. Before I could get the second pole in the water, I had my second Kok. I then managed to get both poles in the water.
    Some fun. I had my limit by 0800. I had 2 lost 10 feet from the boat.( Koks) 1 squaw fish was all.
    Gear was a chrome and yellow glow dodger,and a Toni's Bloody Mary w/brass blade. The other pole had a dodger made by " Fish With Gary Tackle Co in Orange and a spinner to match. Both rods were baited with pink Berkly's maggots in pink. scent was mike's Anise glow. Depth was 43 ft. to 60 feet. the only time I came above 38 feet , ended with the squaw fish on my line.All fish kept were 10 1/2" to 12 1/2".Attachment 6471

Hi Chris, I see fishing is still more fun than working! Went to Loon the other night and caught limits of kokes about 10 3/4" all and nice and fat.
    have a great Fourth, Alan

Hello all... Fished Lake Samish on Saturday morning at sun up. The lake was beautiful and quiet.

I figured the koke catching would be slow because of the heat. Initially I was correct. I was fishing from 40-80 feet watching the FF. After a little while I noticed a lot of fish in the 20's so I adjusted fire. Sure enough, I started to get some hits. By 11am my fishing partner and I managed to get two limits. Most were from 25-35 which seemed way to shallow for this time of year. We caught a couple at lower depths but not as many as I would have thought. Either way, it proves you need to trust your equipment.

The action was steady and very relaxing compared to fishing Baker lake with all the traffic the past few weeks.

Sure seems shallow for this time of year.Do you remember what the surface water temp was?

I didn't think to check the water temp. I genreally keep that off the main screen of the FF so I don't look up and confuse it with the depth and end up dragging my gear. I was told that the water in Baker Lake is running about 7-8 degrees warmer this year than usual which is driving the fish lower. I can't imagine that Samish would be much different. It was a pretty overcast morning. Just seemed awful shallow to me. THis time last year we were catching them from 60-90 feet.

If I don't get the salmon itch I will probably try Samish again this weekend. I fish it pretty regularly. It is only 15 minutes from home.

I fished Lake Samish on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Easy limit on Sunday but couldn't get it done on Sunday. Saturday was overcast with a little bit of rain at the start. Fish were biting well in the 30 foot range. No big ones to speak of. Sunday was cooler in the morning but ended up sunny and warm. We ended up with 10 fish Saturday and 7 fish between the two of us Sunday. Tried from 15 to 90 feet. Best was at 25-45 feet for bites.

Great time to fish. Everyone is all horny for pinks and busy on the river. Lake is empty until the water skiers come out. Usually have a limit prior to that. Can't wait until this weekend. Going to Friday Harbor for a week of fishing...

Fished Samish Saturday and Sunday. Limits both days. Best thing was a red wedding ring and a sling blade. Also used micro hoochies in pink that worked Sunday. Fish are small but plentiful. Beautiful day on the lake. Great weather and very relaxing (Sunday)

I fished Lke Samish yesterday. Thought it might be slow. I was wrong. I Met Mharri333 at the launch ramp at 5:15 P.M. His new boat is nice.( he's a nice guy too.)
    We headed out at approx. 5:30. As I was expecting to get fish at depths, I put my offering on the wire. only 1/2 of it. both poles were rigged with wedding rings. colors were red and a red/pink combo. on had white corn, the other had pink Gulp maggots. One Sling Blade, and one pink splatter dodger.
    Nothing doing on the dodge on wire. I changed the depths up and down from 10 feet to 45 feet. Kept getting hits on the surface. I had a steady flow of hits on the surface. Of the first 8 fish I put 2 in the live well. The other 6 fish would not stay on the hook. Those that stayed on the hook long enough to be seen, get off before I could net them. Some what difficult because of the wind. Blowing white caps at the time. Problem solved. Don't use a net. Just lift the fish straight into the boat. Got the last 3 into the boat in about 5 min. Limit. left the lake before 8:00.
    Small fish, 8 to 10 inches.
    Nice to meet you Mharri333. Boat looks good.

Lowe,

It was great meeting you yesterday. I will keep my eye out in the future. Sounds like you have a ton of experience with boats and rigging.

I had a couple of guys from work with me in the boat. It was their first time (seriously) fishing for kokes. I got a chance to show off the new boat and give them a run down on how to use downriggers. We ran 4 poles on 4 downriggers. I used a couple of stand by red wedding rings that stayed active and a Fishing With Gary in chartreuse (thank you spell check) that caught a couple. I then I used a "bloody Mary" from Wanna Fish a Lure that I got at the WA Lakes gathering at Chelan. It also caught plenty of fish. Best kind of tackle is free tackle that is donated by a builder that works well! Thank you!!! I don't know how many we caught total but we stayed occupied while telling war stories and venting about work. The guys enjoyed catching fish and playing with all the goofy gadgets on the boat. Nice to meet Lowe and put a face to a name and always nice to learn some tips.

MH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast