Thread: Salmon fishing in Sekiu, WA

Cool Salmon fishing in Sekiu, WA

After years of fishing for salmon in Port Hardy, BC, I have decided to try a new place in the States to get my summer salmon fix. After talking with an uncle in Seattle, I have decided to give Sekiu, WA a try. We have reservations for ten days starting July 14th. If any of you have had some experience with fishing for Kings and Coho in Sekiu at that time, I would really appreciate any tips you might be able to send my way. Tackle I will need, locations (I have a 17.5 ft. Crestliner protected waters only), techniques (I have two electric downriggers), even good places to eat in the area would be great. Open forum or PM would be fine.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Where will you be staying when you are in Sekiu?

We tried to get in a Van Riper's but they were booked. We got in at Curley's Resort.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by sawtooth View Post
    We tried to get in a Van Riper's but they were booked. We got in at Curley's Resort.
    I have stayed at Curley's. It is fine but not a lot of parking. I go in Sept. though.

In BC we use a lot of coyote spoons, hoochies or anchovies/herring behind a hot shot flasher. From what I have read, this combo or a cut plug herring is what is used in Sekiu. I'm I on the right track or do I need to start adding other rigs to my tackle box?
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Seems to me that is what we fished, it's been a long time since I was there. I do remember one thing though; FOG! Be sure you have a working gps and a back up compass. Also charts of the area you plan to fish. Pay attention to the shipping lanes and stay out of them. Just a few thoughts, tight lines - Alan

I too have heard that the fog can be a bear in Sekiu. I have a hand held and fish finder with gps and a compass. I plan to get the navonics charts for my fish finder, so that I stay out of the shipping lanes and in U.S. waters. My understanding is that most of the Kings are located closer to the shoreline while the coho and pinks are out along the shipping lanes. Is this correct? I will also have my wife, two kids and my parents along, and some of them don't want to spend all day on the boat. What are some other activities for my wife, mom and daughter could participate in while the guys are on the strait? They like to bike ride, hike, and of course, shop. Place's to eat? Any other places you guys would recommend for a family to do while in the Sekiu area? Thanks again.
    Last edited by sawtooth; 05-13-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

It may be old fashioned but paper charts are easy to look at to get the "lay of the land" er ocean. There are some bad rocks and one must pay attention. We were there during the coho run and fished out a ways from the shore. We found out where the charters were going and it really helped. One of the things that helps with a new area is to go with a charter. Take along your handheld GPS if you want to figure out where you are.
    My wife likes to fish and we had a cabin cruiser boat so meals etc. were on the boat. Six on your boat would be a lot (in my opinion) considering trying to fish and deal with the weather conditions etc.; just an observation. Big rollers can come into the straits from the ocean; not necessarily dangerous but they sure can give you the ick! Scopalomine (Scopace) available by prescription, is great stuff for motion sickness.
    Don't know a thing about shore activities...went there to fish. Tight lines - Alan

Thanks for the info Alan. I never fish more that three from the boat at one time. That is why I am also looking for some fun activities in the area for those who are left on shore. I agree with you on the need for paper charts. The new charts for the fish finder are great, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on them.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

sawtooth,
    I'll be there opening week July 1st thru the July 4th morning bite. The opener is usually pretty decent, with some decent sized Chinook in the mix, and the time frame your thinking about heading over is better because the larger fish start to move in!! It sounds like your an "Old Salt" if you've fished Port Hardy, so what your used to doing to get after Chinook is good. I only use a cut plug or whole herring off the DR while I'm up there, bring all the usual stuff coyotes, flashers, dodgers, etc, but never ever had any problem in getting our limits to have to use them. As far as activities go there's not too much going on in Seiku, you can only eat so much soft ice cream from Olsen's and in town there's a couple of shops the Missus can stroll around, but they could always drive into Forks too. Most folks just hang out at each others RV, motel room, campsite and talk about the big one that got away!!! If I'm lucky I'll be posting some reports come the first week in July!!! I guess if I'm not lucky, I'll be posting reports on how the big one got away!!! Also forgot to mention it's a Humpy year so add an additional fish to the limit. Here's a pic of one of the smaller fish I got that day, the larger one didn't get away it just had too many fins!!!

Good Luck Fishing,
    Winterun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	San Disk 2GB 191.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	6265  
    Last edited by Winterun; 05-17-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Nice fish Winterun! July is already pretty full over here in eastern Washington so don't think I'll be over for the Kings. I fish for ten days on the Columbia at the mouth of the Deschutes for kings in September. Always a fun time with some nice fish; biggest so far for me was 45#. Alan

Winterun,
    Thanks for the info and that's a nice fish you got there. Will be looking forward to your July report. Good luck and have a safe trip.
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas