Thread: blue mesa

Default blue mesa

is there anyone out there that will be fishing blue mesa in june?
    REDNECK. and proud of it.
    Reel Rednecks fishing team..

me and hopefully my son with the boat. Didn't have good luck last year but hoping .....

Im planning a June trip also...

Was there last weekend - got a "Grand Slam" pup Lakers, Browns, Rainbows and several nice Kokes. Squids, Koke Killers, Assassins and Wedding Rings all caught fish. 20-30 feet seemed to be the ticket, though a few came 40+ft. The lake is LOW but on the rise. They expect it to come up 15 feet or so, but probably drop off 10 ft towards the end of summer - still 50-60 feet low. Watch for "surprises" as charts on your fish finders aren't always accurate with the lake so low. Though people are worried, it means more fish in less water - I need all the help I can get. My son snapped off a rig with 17 lb test for a leader. Most likely one of the "Big Girls" took it. June should be nice. We often do well early to mid June. If you can afford it, a trip out with one of the local guides will speed up the learning curve and they're all great guys. If you can't, ask around. You'll get enough hints to get you on the fish.

i should be there around the 5th of june. i will fish at least 4 days a week for the rest of the month. the depth will be the hardest thing to comprehend as 10' is deep for us here in texas. i have 2 downriggers that i will be learning to use. can you catch fish just trolling with dodgers and stuff without the downriggers to get them way down?

Quote Originally Posted by rebelsportsman View Post
    i should be there around the 5th of june. i will fish at least 4 days a week for the rest of the month. the depth will be the hardest thing to comprehend as 10' is deep for us here in texas. i have 2 downriggers that i will be learning to use. can you catch fish just trolling with dodgers and stuff without the downriggers to get them way down?

I've only used flashers and dodgers with my downriggers...

You'll need something to get the dodger down to them...Ive never tried to straight line a dodger on mono but it would seem to me that getting in the zone would be tough...Id be surprised if you could get them 10 ft down.

You might have better luck with lead core but that would be a lot of action on your tip depending on the rod you were using...

One thing I discovered on my downriggers is that the shorter the pole the better...I used to use a 5 or 6 foot light rig but hooking the release on the line and holding the pole was a PIA...I've used ice rods the last couple of years...they are about 18-20 inches long and are easy to use with my set up...Lots of fun with a Koke on the ice rod in open water!

Are you retired? Fishing Blue Mesa four days a week for the month of June would be a "Dram Come True." ElPasoCounty's right - you'll need your downriggers or some lead core to get down to the fish. 20-40 feet is always a good staring place; 3-5 colors on lead core. Don't forget to tip your lures with shoepeg- then have FUN! After the first week you should be an "expert!"

Also pick up a map. It will get you close to where the fish should be. (See the link below)
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Mesa-Rese.../dp/B00908QYN0

So if you're on the water, what kind of boat would you be in? Might swing by and say "Hey"

I'll be there this weekend...looking forward to it...

i will be in a blue 16' tracker deep v. it will have texas tags, so it should be easy to find. my wife will be fishing with me most of the time.

we fished today and caught 6 trout. 2 lake, 2 brown and 2 rainbow. people were catching kokanee around us and we kept catching trout. if the weather is good again in the morning we will be back out.

kokanee were biting good today...