Thread: Palisades

Default Palisades

Hey Guys:

I just moved to western Wyoming from Montana and live very near Palisades Reservoir. I've been out a couple times this spring and did very well on browns and caught a couple lakers. Didn't even know there were kokanee in the lake. I just heard rumor that there are, in fact, kokanee in the reservoir. Does anybody have any insight they can provide? Is there a good population in the lake? Average size? Hot baits or techniques? Best times of year?

Thanks.

Good luck. The kokanee are few and far between as it's mostly a small reproducing population vs. a large planter style lake. Try the dam and over by Big Elk.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

They are nice sized when you can find them,bigger than Ririe but hard to find consistantly. Same stuff seems to work,pink and orange hoochies and the dark purple slingblade has worked. Good news for you is that you are a lot closer to the gorge now.Thats where the Kokanee fishing is. You can be on the water in 4 hours from Alpine.

I fished there one time and had my koke gear running through what I thought was a huge school of kokes only to find out they were chubs! They still took it though and we caught a few!

My in-laws are coming to town this weekend and want to fish someplace close. Someplace close and easy is Palisades. I haven't been out there since the 1st week after ice out and then it was lakers and browns.

Anybody catching any kokanee recently?