Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

Wink

Couldn't get away from marina. Soo many hits on pink kokabow . Used 2 pink slingblades hooked together ,2oz sinker, corn , maggots, a little bit of dick nite. 25-75' long line. Landed 4. Soo much fun in my little Jon boat. If you smell bacon wave
    Last edited by nepetbutler; 06-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Hey nepetbutler,

What time were you out fishing yesterday? I am sure I have seen you out there lol. Headed out to LP either Sat or Sun early morning. I am not liking the ski boats...

Last time I went was last Tuesday from 11- 2. Camping next Monday at arrowrock. I usually launch my jonboat right off the bank.

I was on the water this morning at 5:30 am. Leaded line was out 2.5 colors with pop gear and an Osprey Kokabow lure on one pole and a Kestrel Kokabow lure on the other pole. We were off the water at 11 am with 12 Kokes and 1 trout. It was hot hot hot and no wind. Ski boats galore by 10 am. So tired of the inconsiderate boaters but the fishing was good. The Kokes we caught this week are larger than the ones last week. Seems like they are finally growing. Largest one was 14-15 ".

got on the water by 6 am. boated 11 fish lost 10-12 others. off water by 11 am. Actually the fishing was SLOW! Fish were deeper then Friday. Trolled faster. same colors as last week. fish were bigger. (not by much). seeing less fish on the FF. smaller schools.

I'm real new to Koke fishing, so this may be a dumb question, but has anyone trolled for kokes at night? I'd like to fish Lucky Peak, but I understand what you're saying about the ski boats. It seems that night fishing might be the answer.

You need flash!!!! and that takes daylight. They like there bling!!!!

Went out to Lucky Peak this am. First time koke fishing ever. Almost limited. I would have limited but 3 got away. Not bad.

Was on the water (Turner Gulch) about 6am. Cool and windy. Cruised to the channel straight out from Spring Shores. Trolled 20 -30 feet (downrigger) with a flasher and spinner bait (I don't know the names of the tackle). I probably dragged my first fish for an hour before I discovered it on the end of my line. My gear is way too heavy for these fish. I expected the line release to tell me when I had a fish on, but that didn't happen. I can barely tell when a fish is on.

These fish are really fragile! They die almost instantly after you take the hook out. I'll be cooking them up for guests at a BBQ we're having tomorrow. I've heard they have excellent table quality.

tomn1603 -- Welcome to the habit of chasin Koke. Lucky Peak Kokes hit fairly hard .... at least it appears that way on my 8 foot trolling rods .... very sensitive tips. As to releasing from your down riggers, that's an art at getting them set just light enough to stand lowering the ball and not popping the line out on the way down. I don't worry to much about the release ... I watch my pole tips and respond to hits. Once in awhile you'll get a hit and run, but most times you'll see the rod tip dip fairly well 2-3 times ... time to start reeling in a fish.

They do have soft mouths ... I probably average 60-70% fish in the boat to fish reeled up to the boat. They get pretty wild when brought up next to the boat and see a net.

As to being fragile, mine do fine in the live well until the trip home ... as long as I don't drop them prior to getting to the well. A friend just puts them on ice immediately.

As to taste, nothing better. I smoke the majority of mine as to me, there is no better fish for slow smoking over some hickory or mesquite. Good grilled on the BBQ too.

Cabelas has some great trolling poles and reels. But these don't offer much "fight" when bringing in a fish, but you will see the strike. For sport, go light to ultra light ... but your hooking to boating percentage will probably go down.

Fished from 7 to 11 AM today. Hooked 5 Kokes, boated 4, and 2 10-11 inch rainbows. Overall the fishing was pretty slow. Two Kokes in the 14-15 inch range and two dinks. Fished from 15 to 40 feet with down riggers.. the 2 larger Kokes were caught around 15 feet upstream of the second boat ramp at Spring Shores. Fishing with a string of flashers and a Kokabow imitation in whites and blues and one green with a copper blade. Pleasant morning until the clouds disappeared and it got hot quickly so the ski boats showed up.

Picked up a limit of kokes this morning. Fished from 6:30 to 8:30. Released quite a few 10-12 inchers trying to get some of the larger ones. Biggest was 16.5 inches, three in the 14-15 inch range, and two around 11 inches that caught the trailing hook in the eye or gills making a successful release impossible. All were between 35 to 45 feet down on the downriggers. Fishing was fast and furious, never having to wait more than 5 minutes between hits.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Landed 3small,an18" koke on front of marina Soo Much action wth my double pink slingblades ,pink kokabow, Firecorn ,dik nite, long line. 50'.

Picked up two easy limits this morning. Off the water by 10. The Jack Lloyds and w.r.'s worked best this time. Slow until about 8 when they really woke up. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    The Jack Lloyds and w.r.'s worked best this time. Mike
    Sorry, but what are W.R.s??

thanks

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
    Sorry, but what are W.R.s??

thanks

Bob
    (Mack's) Wedding rings

Thanks mackayGuy .... I was telling Kodiak that this popped into my head at about 5 AM this morning!

Thumbs up

My wife and I fished from 7:30 to 10:30am at Spring shores. Jack Lloyd's and Wedding Rings as recommended. Down about 30 feet with down riggers. Fish seemed to hit when I boosted speed from 1.5 to 2 mph and back down. Fished within site of Spring shores, but towards the dam a bit. Left when boat and jet ski traffic made water to rough to enjoy fishing ... caught the last fish to make our 12 on the way in.

A big THANK YOU to Kodiak for the info on where and how to fish. It was much appreciated.

Attachment 6512
    Last edited by conservationist; 07-13-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Addition

Been meaning to post a report for the last couple weeks but haven't gotten around to it. Been good fishing (the number of boats out last few weeks show that isn't a secret) with fast limits. The males beaks started to grow a little last week and this weekend caught the first ones starting to show a little hint of pink on the tail, dorsal, and anal fins. Usually not to many weeks left once that starts to happen. Tackle has been dodgers with hoochies. Average fish is 12-13" with about 1 in 4 being 15-16". Yesterday put in at 0630 and had 3 person limit at 1000. Today put in at 0630 and had 2 person limit by 0730.

Had a hell of a circus yesterday with the kids. Hooked a koke and was bring it in, my son was getting ready to net when I noticed another rod going off so he handed me the net and hooked that fish. I net my fish solo (many of you know how that is when you are also trying to steer the boat, have a bunch of lines in, and the wind is blowing, fun fun). As I am hurrying to get my fish out so I can net my son's fish (I try and avoid double netting if possible because it usually leads to long down time for the inevitable tangle cluster) I feel this big drag on the net. I look down and my rod is in the drink and sinking behind the boat! The only thing keeping the road from sinking to the bottom is the drag of the fish in the net.

I grab the line quick and drag the rod back into the boat. That accomplished, I turn my focus back to taking the fish out of the net only to feel the drag again. THE DAMN rod slid out the back again! I had reeled up kinda close to net solo and there wasn't much slack line; the back of my boat has a raised bench-style deck so there isn't much of a lip out the back, it just kept sliding off because I didn't have enough line to set the rod down below that deck. Luckily, I get the rod back in the boat just in time to land my son's fish. To do it I had to hold my rod (with the fish still on it) in one hand and net his with the other. I get both fish into the boat and let out some line setting the problem rod below the raised deck. Catching my breath for a split sec.I realize that the last rod in is going off. My son drops his rod (in the boat) and grabs that one and starts reeling that fish in. I wake my daughter who has been sleeping through all and ask her to drive the boat so can I manage the two rods still attached to the netted fish and get the third fish. This all is happening in less time than it took to read about it. There was another boat within rock throwing distance behind us watching the whole thing. I can only imagine what they were thinking watching me net three fish still attached to the rods while pulling 1 rod out of the drink twice, all in about 1-1.5 minutes.

I have my daughter drive us out of the trolling circuit where I untangle the mess and contemplate the crazyiness of koke fishing. Only kokanee can leave you drifting aimlessly while you are just shaking your head wondering what the hell just happened. Guess it is why we all spend the time and money chasing such a pain in the ass fish with a notoriously fickle attitude (that and they just taste so damn good). Makes up for the times when you go 2 hours without a sniff. Koke fishing, feast or famine.

Probably fish one more weekend at LP then might head to Anderson the last week in July and see if I can get a cooler full for canning. If I do I think I am going to try catfish pliers for skinning and then just cube them and cook them down with the bones in on the little ones. If I do it and it works will post here for folks. Good luck the rest of the way to those out chasing these wonderfully stupid fish.

I think I saw some of that. A bit like the Keystone Cops routine. Wife and I fishing out of a tan and green 16 foot Lowe, 50 HP Yamaha, down riggers and LONG poles.

Yeah it wasn't my finest hour for sure. Like I said it was one hell of a circus. Glad the kids are big enough now to be more of a help than the hindrance they were a couple years ago. Almost makes it worth feeding them.

I think I remember you guys, nice boat if it is the one I am thinking of. I think you were a little up-reservoir of us when that happened so you probably had a good view of it. I was thinking of the red inboard jet (I think it was a Hewes craft) with the 2 guys and the gal in it. They were the boat that was in rock-chucking range.

If you watched the chaos happening in a 18' alumacraft "jon boat" with a 90hp Yamaha main and a 15hp mercury kicker that was us. Hope you guys did good
    Last edited by Allyn S; 07-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Another good morning for us. After losing 7 straight, we began connecting. Had two triples to speed us along our way. Off the water by 9. The biggies are indeed beginning to turn a bit as Allyn reported. Mike

I was out on water also last Saturday. It was so nice in the morning when due to some sort of swimming competition going on, the ski boats weren't out in force until later morning. I limited out in 4 hrs . Hubby took a bit longer. Once those dang ski boats and jet ski's get on the water it makes it too rough to fish in a smaller boat. We have a blue aluminum smoker craft. I'm sure we saw you . We ended up coming home with 11 fish. Hubby gave up trying to get the last one when the boats were out in force. The largest one I caught was 17 ". All were caught on leaded line , three colors out with a Kestrel Kokabow and pop gear. Didn't have to use the downrigger. Glad you and your wife had fun

Quote Originally Posted by conservationist View Post
    I think I saw some of that. A bit like the Keystone Cops routine. Wife and I fishing out of a tan and green 16 foot Lowe, 50 HP Yamaha, down riggers and LONG poles.
    I saw you and your wife.
    Sadly I missed the whole fiasco in Allyn S boat. That would of made me laugh. I had my own moment last Saturday. I was putting the fish in the cooler which sits behind my seat near the bow. I went to pry the lid off the cooler when the fish slipped out of my hand, landed on the bow of the boat and in the water he went. I actually found myself leaning over the boat trying to grab it before he made his quick and lucky getaway. What are ya doing to do but laugh about it all right?

I was on the water at 8:00 am today and limited out and off by 11:00. 30-40 feet hot pink and orange worked for me.

Fished LP yesterday morning and caught 10 and had 7 shake off. For us, I am a little bit perplexed...we use a downrigger on one side of the boat and leaded line on the other. The leaded line has always outproduced the downrigger (15 to 2 yesterday) on every trip we take to LP. It seems that the DR should do better because we can be more precise in the depth. We basically used the same setup for both but the leaded line has ALWAYS produced much better at LP. I am just happy to catch fish but I am wondering why the downrigger does not get much action. Any thoughts or reasons this might be the case?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast