Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Lucky Peak Fishing Thread

fished for a few hrs on 10/5/13, launched at spring shores around 2:30pm, there's still a dock in the water and plenty of good ramp to launch a big boat

saw about 7 other boats fishing, talked to a few guys on the water that got skunked, they were using a variety of rapalas and spinners and i told them to grab some dodgers and squids for their next outing

talked to 2 boats heading back down from arrowrock, 1 boat had 1 kokanee and the other boat was skunked

fished the first big pool towards lucky peak dam but marked schools everywhere

we stayed pretty busy with near nonstop bites, less than half of the bites resulted in hooked fish and we lost many of them, used the same lures / tactics I always do, fish were all 0 to 15' and speeds were between 1.5 - 2mph

these were some of the fish I reeled in, we had 3 people in the boat fishing and ended up with a few limits of kokanee and rainbows, they were all between 12 - 14"

water temps averaged 62 degrees, in a few weeks all those nice 14" next year fish will be right on top and up for grabs

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/ko...9bbec.jpg.html
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Thanks for the report! Did you use your downrigger

Quote Originally Posted by bayhorse View Post
    Thanks for the report! Did you use your downrigger
    nope, 100' long lines on all rods and the majority of the hooked fish were on 1oz of lead or less, any color squid / crappie tube 8 or 9" behind small small dodgers

When we felt the cold this A.M., we opted out of our Cascade trip and chose LP instead. It was beautiful today with calm water and abundant sunshine, and....best of all.....eager kokes and trout. Steady bites all day; we rarely went more than ten minutes w/o action. Boating them was a bit more difficult, but eventually limited out. 3 on the lead, and 11 and 15 on the cable. Kok-head, thanks for the locale info. We owe you!! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    When we felt the cold this A.M., we opted out of our Cascade trip and chose LP instead. It was beautiful today with calm water and abundant sunshine, and....best of all.....eager kokes and trout. Steady bites all day; we rarely went more than ten minutes w/o action. Boating them was a bit more difficult, but eventually limited out. 3 on the lead, and 11 and 15 on the cable. Kok-head, thanks for the locale info. We owe you!! Mike
    glad you found them, the last few times out that's where big schools have been feeding, i have buddies that swear by fishing right in front of the spring shores and turner gulch launches and they stunk up the place the whole weekend, i marked small schools down by the dam but huge schools in the channels above and below and right in that big pool but no one was fishing it for some reason

any size to the trout? i can usually get some decent trout (15-20" range) to cooperate in the early morning but i haven't hooked into any rainbows bigger than 15" this year and i'm wondering if it's just me or if other people are also only getting the smaller rainbows

Caught a lot of trout today, esp. compared to earlier in th season. They were all larger than planter size, but nothing bigger than 13". I have been trying the spot we are talking about lately, because my theory is that they slowly migrate towards the dam in the fall, and reverse it in the spring. And I don't exactly know what triggers the move to under Arrowrock at times? Go figure. One thing about koke fishing.....you have to figure it out each and every time!!
    Last edited by kodiak1; 10-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Caught a lot of trout today, esp. compared to earlier in th season. They were all larger than planter size, but nothing bigger than 13". I have been trying the spot we are talking about lately, because my theory is that they slowly migrate towards the dam in the fall, and reverse it in the spring. And I don't exactly know what triggers the move to under Arrowrock at times? Go figure. One thing about koke fishing.....you have to figure it out each and every time!!
    i agree, there have been times as early as April and as late as October where i have caught kokanee at: lucky peak dam, the marina and arrowrock dam all within a few days of fishing

they are tough to figure out sometimes, luckily the lake is full of younger fish and odds are good one will usually stumble across a school or 2 each fishing trip, and in between kokanee schools the trout will keep the lines tight

Fished LP yesterday, and we had to work for them compared to a few days ago. Managed 6, and lost so many it is too embarrassing to get into the details!! Mike

last time i went out i know i lost at least 20 fish, even with slow action ultralight rods and razor sharp hooks its still not enough many times and those kokanee find a way to pull the hooks out, they fight so hard i swear i have an 18" fish on until i get it to the boat and it only measures 11-13"

how'd the launch at spring shores look? is the center dock still in the water?

Launch is great. Res. continues to drop. Found most fish in the area you mentioned, north of island now out of water. Mike

thanks for the info, i will head up Saturday if i can clear my schedule and if i go i will post the results

Launch is great. Res. continues to drop. Found most fish in the area you mentioned, north of island now out of water. Mike
    Mike,
    How far from the marina launch is this island? I have never been on the lake this low before. Hope to go Saturday too.

Just head down the narrows towards the dam, and you will come to a wide area with many short docks and shelters. Where it begins to narrow again, you will see a large sandstone "finger" with buoys on top. This is what I was referring to. Mike

fished on 10/19/13, ended up fishing all day and went home with several limits of koanee and rainbows, all were 13 - 15", fished spring shores and downstream to the bottom of the narrows, most of the fish were caught between 10 and 15' deep and nearly every kokanee was taken between 1.5 - 2mph, caught fish on spinners and flashers and also on crappie tubes behind dodgers

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/ko...tml?sort=3&o=0

Way to hammer 'em. Mike

Hey all, new to the board!
    Just moved back from 7 yrs in Florida. Although I lived within 10min of LP from 01-05, never fished LP except once at Arrowrock from shore with nary a nibble.
    Found your thread surfing, and was very happy to find it! Managed to get out with Stepson last week and although new to the Lake, did pretty well I think for fishing "blind". We caught 4 Kokes and one RB in 3.5 hrs, all with my usual spring (Lake Rufus Woods) setup- UL rods, NO weight, 4" flasher and tried gulp maggots which made a difference as my stepson wasn't using them (they stink) and I had 3 boated with not one strike for him!
    Rainbow was 13" and all Kokes were 14-17" and FAT! They are my favorite fish- period. Used to catch 24-26" up at Rufus woods.
    Question- Do you folks get them that big at LP, and when is the fall "hot time"? Also, how late do you catch them in the fall?
    I have to go to Seattle this week to help Mom winterize, wish I could be fishing. Hope I don't miss the good fishing before they stop or ice forms.
    Thanks for any help regarding timing.
    If you see me up there, I am in a 1900 Nautic Bay Center Console with 140 Johnson (Suzuki) on back. Console face just above bait well has decal that says "Fear The Spear" with spear fisherman. I'll post some pics from my PC (ipad won't allow pic uploads). Blue Sides and white. Wave hello if you see me up there!
    Thanks again, this is a great thread to have stumbled upon.
    Also, I am basically retired and would be happy to take fellow fisherman with me. All I ask is either help with gas or pay launch fee. Very comfortable fishing boat, 4 very comfortably and 2 perfect. 8 1/2' wide makes for very stable, comfortable fishing and Center Consoles are as roomy as they get. Need to find some fishing buddies that are local. Will also be hitting the Spring crappies at Brownlee if anyone is interested in that. Have some great spring spots, lots of "plate'ers" and biggest last time out was 18 1/2"...
    Tight Lines!

Welcome to the site! Summer produces some in the 18" +- range. If you are looking for bigger salmonoids, they have planted Chinook in Anderson Ranch, and I intend to figure that fishery out this summer. Will try to duplicate the methods used in Coeur d'Alene as a starter. Mike

Welcome MasterCaster Hmm Rufus Woods Kokes? Never fished them there. Any tips on the subject appreciated. Thanks Alan

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCaster View Post
    Hey all, new to the board!
    Just moved back from 7 yrs in Florida. Although I lived within 10min of LP from 01-05, never fished LP except once at Arrowrock from shore with nary a nibble.
    Found your thread surfing, and was very happy to find it! Managed to get out with Stepson last week and although new to the Lake, did pretty well I think for fishing "blind". We caught 4 Kokes and one RB in 3.5 hrs, all with my usual spring (Lake Rufus Woods) setup- UL rods, NO weight, 4" flasher and tried gulp maggots which made a difference as my stepson wasn't using them (they stink) and I had 3 boated with not one strike for him!
    Rainbow was 13" and all Kokes were 14-17" and FAT! They are my favorite fish- period. Used to catch 24-26" up at Rufus woods.
    Question- Do you folks get them that big at LP, and when is the fall "hot time"? Also, how late do you catch them in the fall?
    I have to go to Seattle this week to help Mom winterize, wish I could be fishing. Hope I don't miss the good fishing before they stop or ice forms.
    Thanks for any help regarding timing.
    If you see me up there, I am in a 1900 Nautic Bay Center Console with 140 Johnson (Suzuki) on back. Console face just above bait well has decal that says "Fear The Spear" with spear fisherman. I'll post some pics from my PC (ipad won't allow pic uploads). Blue Sides and white. Wave hello if you see me up there!
    Thanks again, this is a great thread to have stumbled upon.
    Also, I am basically retired and would be happy to take fellow fisherman with me. All I ask is either help with gas or pay launch fee. Very comfortable fishing boat, 4 very comfortably and 2 perfect. 8 1/2' wide makes for very stable, comfortable fishing and Center Consoles are as roomy as they get. Need to find some fishing buddies that are local. Will also be hitting the Spring crappies at Brownlee if anyone is interested in that. Have some great spring spots, lots of "plate'ers" and biggest last time out was 18 1/2"...
    Tight Lines!
    glad you found some fish, i've fished for them as late as the end of November and a few other guys on kff have as well, for fall kokanee fishing i find that just about the entire month of October is very good

went up today from 10:30 am until around 2 pm. caught all our fish from 10:30 to noon. hooked 7 and boated 3 kokes. All fish were caught in less then 20 feet of water. we found a school and just kept going back and forth through it. found them close to the bank also. it was a blast........ :)

Quite a few fishing boats out on Lucky Peak today, as well as, a few wake boarders (bit crazy with 56 degree surface temps). Like sturgeon8r said in the post above, the fish are near the surface. Downriggers were not necessary, but I used one to get my line down 10 feet. Other rod had just enough weight to keep the sling blade and spinner below the surface. Took my daughter out for a couple of hours during mid afternoon. Caught six kokes and two trout and released all but the two largest 14 inch kokes. Could be the last weekend with this kind of weather. Absolutely beautiful day.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Second day in a row at LP. WINDY!!!!!!!!!! to say the least. Boat 4 more fish. Found schools and just worked them the best we could in the WIND!!!!!!!! Did I say it was windy? All fiah in about 15 foot water. DR'S worked well. We fished out by the marina and did the best. We lost maybe 6 other fish. I turned my corn pink (roe mix)and Anise Scent. worked better then yesterday :)

launched at spring shores and fished for about 3 hrs on 10/27/13, everything caught at less than 15ft, fished the big pool i've focused on the last few wks and could not get the kokanee to the boat so i headed downstream and finally found kokanee that would stay on the hooks long enough to jump into the net, kept the fish in the attached hyperlink below and released 7 more around the same size

had an interesting (and mostly positive) experience dealing with fish and game, they pulled me over after not stopping at the check station

me and the family had a good sing-along going on the way home and i glanced at the sign near mores creek and only noticed the word "hunting" and the massive scale for weighing big game and didn't think anything of it until i saw a ford truck with a small flashing blue light on top, pretty funny, they did look a bit disappointed when shown current fishing licenses and legal fish limits as i'm sure they were expecting some law breakers, they shuffled some fish around in the cooler and sent me off with a warning, everything went well and the fish didn't appear too dirty afterwards

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/ko...32096.jpg.html

Fished today from about 10:30 to 2 pm. hooked and lost my first 3 fish. landed 5 kokes by noon. then all of a sudden the trout bite started? landed 5 of them. landed my last koke around 2 pm and cam e home :) Smoker will be busy again tomorrow
    Fish in 10-15 foot water.

Kind of slow today. only caught 1 limit. nice fish. landed just as many trout. lost many many fish. wind laid down and the sun came out. VERY nice fish still in about 10-15 feet water. fish seem to be along bank in the morning then move out to the middle more in the afternoon.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast