Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Arrowrock Fishing Thread

I was there yesterday with my son. We caught some smaller (10") fish that we released at about 28'. Then a ton of pike minnows in the narrows of the south fork. Then we got into the monsters at the mouth of the south fork. We were getting two poles at once a few times at 50-60'. Warning, don't use cheap wedding rings as the line on two of mine broke. Does anyone have any info on catching the Chinook out of lucky peak or arrow rock? I am planning a trip to Deadwood in a week or so and have never fished for them in a lake.

Any big ones in the 30-40 foot depth range?

According to the fish and game website, no chinook have been planted in either Lucky Peak or Arrowrock.

I didn't but I think my father caught one at 41'. Chinook haven't been planted in lucky peak or arrow rock since like 2004 but were in there. I am asking because they have been planting 5k a year in deadwood. A few earlier posts claim to have caught them in L.P. and AR.

Check out Fins and Feathers web site in Coeur d'Alene for fishing for Chinook. Their methods will be productive for Deadwood.....anchovies, herring, on helmets, or large flashers with hoochies. Mike

Great, thanks for the info Mike! I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    I've been off the water for a month. How is the fishing on Arrowrock recently? Have they really gone deep?
    Went last Sat morn. Trolled for 3.5 hours. Got 4 fish 17" plus, lost one all in the first 1.5 hours of trolling. All fish bit at 45-50 feet. Last 2 hours not one bite. Fishing seems very slow, not seeing anyone else reeling fish in. Might try Cascade tomorrow for some big rainbows and coho. Good luck

alhntr,

What time did you get on the water. I went Tuesday at 8:00 & trolled for 4 1/2 hours & only caught 2 squawfish. Using the same gear that has been good all year.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgene View Post
    alhntr,

What time did you get on the water. I went Tuesday at 8:00 & trolled for 4 1/2 hours & only caught 2 squawfish. Using the same gear that has been good all year.
    mrgene, Got on water about 630 Am. Just got back from cascade. Got 10 fish in boat. 2 small cohos. Rest were rainbows, no giants though. Local at cascade says trout fishing gets better middle/end of august.

Quote Originally Posted by alhntr View Post
    mrgene, Got on water about 630 Am. Just got back from cascade. Got 10 fish in boat. 2 small cohos. Rest were rainbows, no giants though. Local at cascade says trout fishing gets better middle/end of august.
    Thanks alhntr

Quote Originally Posted by mrgene View Post
    Thanks alhntr
    mrgene, let us know how you do, if you go in the next few days. Thanks, Al

Default AR high water ramp

It looks like the high water ramp at AR will be unusable by next week. I have never had to use the low water ramp is it a paved ramp? Can one with 18' IO launch and remove a boat. The high water ramp is not very steep and is about all I can do to get my boat out with out filling my back seat with water.
    I fished LP this week but the fish are a great deal smaller than what I have been catching at AR.
    Thanks
    MaGoo

Quote Originally Posted by MaGoo View Post
    It looks like the high water ramp at AR will be unusable by next week. I have never had to use the low water ramp is it a paved ramp? Can one with 18' IO launch and remove a boat. The high water ramp is not very steep and is about all I can do to get my boat out with out filling my back seat with water.
    I fished LP this week but the fish are a great deal smaller than what I have been catching at AR.
    Thanks
    MaGoo
    I have never used it when the lake was lower than it is now, however I have been told that the paving goes on down so you can launch when the lake is about 20+ ft lower than it is now.
    Yaw, the slope is not steep enough for my 14' alum boat either, caused me to get a bath early this year, slipped off the tongue.

Thanks mrgene

It has been a number of years sence I was at AR when the water level was lower than the high water lanch. I do not recall just were it is.
    Can the low water lanch been seen from the main read? For me getting wet loading the boat is just part of the trip.
    MaGoo

Magoo,
    For me its not the low water ramp that is the problem, its the off road driving you have to do with a boat to get back up the hill. I'm not a fan.

Pzak
    I went to check the ramps on Tuesday the 23, with out the boat. The high water ramp had 10" water at the bottom of ramp, about 10" drop off and mud. About five boats had launched, not me I would never get my boat out. The low water gamp hat about 15 to 20' of concrete out of the water.
    When back on Thursday the 25. I have a Blazer that I pull 18' with 4.3 cc IO and a single axle trailer. The dirt from the road to the launch is as had as a rock. I did not put the Blazer in 4 wheel drive. The road getting to the launch is what I hate. They are draining AR about 1.25' feet a day. At that rate the lower ramp will be out of the water in about 15 days.
    Fishing was poor, I pick up one 12" and one other boat pick up 2 12".

Heard the road was closed due to the fires. Has anyone been? Sadly I have not been out for a month. I have been thinking it would be exciting to boat some of the nice 16-18 inchers we were landing earlier in the year. Would they be considerably larger? Would they be hook jaw and red? How far up river would they be? These are questions I would try to answer if I could get on the water. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bayhorse View Post
    Heard the road was closed due to the fires. Has anyone been? Sadly I have not been out for a month. I have been thinking it would be exciting to boat some of the nice 16-18 inchers we were landing earlier in the year. Would they be considerably larger? Would they be hook jaw and red? How far up river would they be? These are questions I would try to answer if I could get on the water. Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated.
    In case you haven't heard, Arrowrock is down about 110' as of Thursday morning. I heard you cant get past the dam.

I did not know. Thanks for the information. Guess I can try next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bayhorse View Post
    I did not know. Thanks for the information. Guess I can try next year.
    I was at AR about two weeks ago, F&G truck and trailer were at low water ramp when I loaded my boat about noon. I did not see them on the lake, they had to be up the middle fork. I started very early trolled from the low water ramp up the so fork until the water was 30' deep. I was using one DR and one leaded line. Tryed at least 20 different set ups. I was very lucky and pick up two squaw fish, one was all of 4" long. After four hours I called it quits for the day. But the low water ramp is in good shape has 17 to 18 feet water depth to the end of ramp.

Thanks for the update. Sorry the catching was poor. If the road opens I hope to try once more this year. Maybe toward the middle fork? It would seem they would be staging to spawn and we might find the bigger fish. I have a small 14 ft with a 15 horse merc. Hopefully I will be able to launch. Thanks again and good fishing!

Can anyone tell me when the spawning Kokanee head on up the Boise River? Or have they already gone. I drove up there yesterday and saw an eagle eating one on the bank about a mile west of Willow Creek campground.
    Thanks for any info you might have.
    Bud

They should be a few in there now as I believe it's getting towards the end of the spawn right now. I saw some people fishing Mores Creek for Kokanee two weeks ago, but there were few in the creek at that time. Don't really know why you would want to keep the fish when they are in that condition, but to each their own. Both lakes usually send their spawners up at about the same time.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Hi Sawtooth, Thanks a lot for the info. Nah...I hadn't meant to fish for them, just thought it would be fun to show my wife the red fish going up the river.
    Thanks again,
    Budreaux

anyone tried launching a boat recently? the link below says all is well but I've seen large sand / mud deposits on the ramp at AR before during low water

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/ramp...arrowrock.html
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

The hi water ramp sounds a little iffy but the low water one has a 100' of water on it. Let us know if you go, I was planning on trying it later this week.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast