Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Arrowrock Fishing Thread

I was at AR on Saturday also. Caught some really fat Kokes. The largest was 18.5 ". The smallest was 17 ". We had a good day fishing.

I took a buddy up to AR Saturday morning. Fishing started out slow, but it really picked up for us around 10 am and we needed to load up by 11 am. We were having double hookups frequently in that last hour. The strange part is that I could'nt buy a bite on the multi-blade trolls and the morning before, they hammered that setup. Our best luck was on a silver/pink Slingblade, with pink and orange hootchies. Seemed like 1.6-1.7 was the magic speed. Ended our quick trip with 8 nice kokes, one more pass and I feel we would have easily had our limit. They were all 17-18 inches. Very nice fish.

Here are some pics:

Andy

Nice fish! How deep are you fishing?

Looks like I'm headed to AR for a few days of fishing.

20-30 ft. I tried running 10-15' and never had a hit. Dropped down deeper and bingo, fish.

Andy,

Great job on your catch. I see the net made it with you on this trip.
    17 ft. red/white Crestliner
    90 hp and 8hp Hondas

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lunddude View Post
    Nice fish! How deep are you fishing?

Looks like I'm headed to AR for a few days of fishing.
    What day - days are you going? I will be up there Friday morning, I'm going to bite my tounge and make another run at it.

BTW took your advice and bought the Terrova I pilot 80, Not sure how I ever lived without it.
    Last edited by JTM; 05-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Hit AR today, there are some pigs in there this year. Did not limit out but should have lost some at the boat.... Tossed all the Rainbows back in (6) and 1 Pike minnow, All in all we brought home 8 very nice fish.

Nice fish for sure. I'm headed up there in the morning. If anyone see's a silver extended cab f-150 with tiny boat in tow, say hi.

I've taken several limits of nice fish between the launch and the confluence of the Middle and South Forks. I'm interested in a change of scenery and trip up either fork. Is one better than the other? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Physion; 06-01-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    I've taken several limits of nice fish between the launch and the confluence of the Middle and South Forks. I'm interested in a change of scenery and trip up either fork. Is one better than the other? Suggestions?
    Can't help you there, I don't give a rat's behind about the scenery. I am all about fishing and what depth there at and what color they want.

Hit the water "early" today along with what looked like the rest of the city of Boise. 2nd time on arrowrock and I couldn't believe how many boats were on the water. Made me kind of miss only having to deal with a few water skiers at LP. Caught a few nice fish though. Didn't catch enough fish on any one lure to say they wanted one thing in particular. Did the best on Apexes early and then got a couple later on a wedding ring. Had a few drive bys on hoochies and kokanuts. Couldn't really peg them down today on depth, etc. 20-40' range and standard speeds.

First, welcome to the site, Battleship! Know what you mean about LP. Drove by it the other morning on the way to Arrowrock, and there wasn't a single rig at either dock at Spring Shores. Not a one. Don't think I've ever seen that before during the summer. It was a temptation.....no gravel, docks, no one else. But, the lure of the jumbo kokes kept us going. Next time though, maybe. Did anyone try LP this weekend? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Physion View Post
    i was up the north fork this morning and i only saw one other boat which was fishing just past the confluence, marked only a few small schools of fish just past the confluence up the north fork and i boated one small rainbow and one small kokanee, didn't travel very far until the river channel got as shallow as 9ft, i went back and fished the confluence with the other 50 or so boats and then traveled up the south fork a short distance, i marked huge schools of fish from the confluence to about .5mi up the south fork, thumbs down on traveling up the north fork for sure
    1982 18' Hydra-Sports Striper Special, 1982 Mariner 150hp, 1980 Johnson 7.5hp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020706.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	6348

fished near the confluence for a few hrs today, 1.5" pink crappie tubes and 2.5" pink squids running 8" behind small sling blade dodgers with speeds between 1.0 - 1.7mph, i ran 70ft of line out with 1, 2 and 3oz sinkers which keep the lures from about 8' down to about 30', lost 3 nice ones right at the boat, slow fishing for us and the people doing the best up there today that i spoke with were averaging 1 nice fish about every 30min or so

i've never fished with downriggers for kokanee before but i'm getting ready to get one set up on my boat, i've finally grown tired of all of the challenges that come with long-lining with heavy sinkers, i'm probably going to go with a brand new walker lake ranger manual downrigger

i saw lots of people fishing spinners with pop gear but the people that i saw catching were running small and medium sized squids and dodgers, for much of the day i was marking what looked like kokanee at around 15' and only one of those that i hooked was a decent size, the cooperative ones for me were down around 30'

i hope everyone else did better than i did but it was a good day regardless of only boating 2 decent sized ones

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6020706.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	6348

fished near the confluence for a few hrs today, 1.5" pink crappie tubes and 2.5" pink squids running 8" behind small sling blade dodgers with speeds between 1.0 - 1.7mph, i ran 70ft of line out with 1, 2 and 3oz sinkers which keep the lures from about 8' down to about 30', lost 3 nice ones right at the boat, slow fishing for us and the people doing the best up there today that i spoke with were averaging 1 nice fish about every 30min or so

i've never fished with downriggers for kokanee before but i'm getting ready to get one set up on my boat, i've finally grown tired of all of the challenges that come with long-lining with heavy sinkers, i'm probably going to go with a brand new walker lake ranger manual downrigger

i saw lots of people fishing spinners with pop gear but the people that i saw catching were running small and medium sized squids and dodgers, for much of the day i was marking what looked like kokanee at around 15' and only one of those that i hooked was a decent size, the cooperative ones for me were down around 30'

i hope everyone else did better than i did but it was a good day regardless of only boating 2 decent sized ones
    Get yourself a DR & get rid of all that hardware your dragging around the lake long lining. Get a 7-8 foot UL rod with a small bait caster reel (Abu 4600) spooled with 8# test a 5" sling blade a hoochie on a 8 inch leader & you will see the "FUN FACTOR" go way up in fishing for kokanee the size you guys are catching @ AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunddude View Post
    Get yourself a DR & get rid of all that hardware your dragging around the lake long lining. Get a 7-8 foot UL rod with a small bait caster reel (Abu 4600) spooled with 8# test a 5" sling blade a hoochie on a 8 inch leader & you will see the "FUN FACTOR" go way up in fishing for kokanee the size you guys are catching @ AR.
    I lucked out the other day when researching down riggers, I told a family member I was looking into getting one and he said he has two lightly used riggers that I can have with weights and releases, I hope when I get em bolted on that the limits of fish come swimming to the boat

Quote Originally Posted by kok-head View Post
    I lucked out the other day when researching down riggers, I told a family member I was looking into getting one and he said he has two lightly used riggers that I can have with weights and releases, I hope when I get em bolted on that the limits of fish come swimming to the boat
    Sounds like you scored! You will not regret getting the DR's for your boat & after a few years you'll be looking @ upgrading to electric ones.

Hi everyone Im new to the site and new to Kokanee fishing. Was up at AR on tues and wed and didn't get anything but a man told me about ford finds on my dr ball so ill try that on Saturday. I was just using sling blades and pink hoochies with shoepeg corn with tuna oil at 30 ft but I think my leaders were too long anyways. now i see its about 8-10" from the dodger. well I got a lot to learn but the more I go out I learn something new. now if only I can catch one of those pigs I seen everyone else catching. well Im easy to spot out there I have a green canoe with a trolling motor and a mini downrigger on it. if you see me just cay hi my name is Rodney. oh yeah what should I use to make/scent my corn.

As to scents, you will get a ton of different answers, but I really like Pautske's Nectar. It scents the shoepeg, and dyes it a nice brilliant pink. And those devils do love pink!! You are right, never go more than 8" on the mini hoochies with that small of a dodger, in that they have no action of their own. The only things I can think of that you might try differently is depth and speed. If you have a two-fish license and don't want to bother with two poles in a canoe, you could drop a second rig down the line with a large swivel. It will automatically go down half way, to the bow of the line. That way you could try two different depths at the same time. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    Can't help you there, I don't give a rat's behind about the scenery. I am all about fishing and what depth there at and what color they want.
    My thinking exactly

Kodiak, can I ask you where you purchased the Pautske's Nectar? I haven't been able to find it. I caved and bought a DR today. Now I just have to learn how to use it. :)

Cricket I just bought the nectar today at cabelas and theres a few different colors I got the redish pink one. I was at sportsmans they had it to in the back on a wooden case with the smelly jelly. cabelas is on a rack by reels. hope that helps. hope to meet some of you at AR today

Cricket,
    I buy it at Turners on State St. in Boise. You'll love the DR. Remember one thing: don't ever crank down the drag on the cable more than is necessary. If you have a smaller boat and you snag the ball on the bottom, you want the cable to "play out". If you have it tight, it will pull the back corner down, and could capsize you. A lot of people don't ever think about that. Tight lines! Mike

Kodiak,

Thanks for the tip. Now I'm getting nervous about using the DR. We fish the mouth of the south fork . I think the depth is pretty consistent there. Our boat is 14 ft aluminum and I will remember to be careful about the drag on the DR.

Kodiak,
    went to AR on Saturday got there kinda late but we managed to land a 16" little devil. we had a blast and seeing that fish coming up to the side of the canoe just makes ya grin. we were using the nectar with a vance green dodger and a rmt pink uv hoochie at 8 inches from dodger. we went down to 30ft on the dr and within about 30 mins the release unclipped. and as uncle Si would say it was on like donkey kong. too bad the wind picked up but we will be back their on Tuesday.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast