Thread: 5/10-5/12 The Gorge is S-L-O-Dubya!

Default 5/10-5/12 The Gorge is S-L-O-Dubya!

Did the inagural trip to the gorge for the year this last weekend. If I don't get some good news, it may be the last for a while. On our way in on Friday night, my guess is we broke a push rod in our I/O motor.

We spent the rest of the weekend on the trolling motor both gas and electric, using the truck to get us as close to where we wanted to go as possible and then trolling the rest of the way. Unfortunately, that meant we had to get our "Wyoming Colonoscopy" multiple times going back and forth from Lucerne, where we camped. It was slow, slow, slow, getting around.

The fishing, on the other hand, was great. 3 of us limited out on 4th year salmon in about 4 hours. We used hoochies with pink in them and silver colored dodgers. We also found a few rainbows.

Lake Trout were a little hard to come by and very sluggish. They probably aren't quite awake yet this year. But, the salmon are.

Don't believe the reports. It's on.
    Disappoint the Government; be responsible, self-reliant, and kind.

I heard they were hitting on the Utah side. Where were you fishing? I assume somewhere on the Wyo side due to the colonoscopy comment. How deep were you?

Could you explain the "Wyoming colonoscopy". I can only guess it has something to do with money.

Keith

My guess of the "Wyoming colonoscopy" has to do with the invasive species inspection on the boat.
    My wife calls me the "Obsessive Compulsive Fisherman" (OCF)

Quote Originally Posted by OCF View Post
    My guess of the "Wyoming colonoscopy" has to do with the invasive species inspection on the boat.
    If this is true,and the OP is whining about paying more for the AIS sticker and the inspection.Then DON'T fish in Wyoming waters,no one is forcing you to fish on our side of the gorge.When is Utah going to wise up and start inspections for mussels on the Utah side of the gorge?
    Last edited by Propnut69; 05-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    "Chance Favors A Prepared Mind"

Take a deep breath Tim. He drove back and forth every day and just found it tiresome to have the inch by inch inspection done every day. If there is a tip around the "colonoscopy" for everyday launching, give the brother a tip. It's the second, third or fourth trip up the canal that gets raw.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

The year of the "colonoscopy". I have my AIS decal for WY and still have to pull in at the port of entry towing across the state line. No problemo here. I'll take a pack of smokes so I can feel satisfied afterwards. Grin & Bare it, that's all we can do at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by usemdw View Post
    I heard they were hitting on the Utah side. Where were you fishing? I assume somewhere on the Wyo side due to the colonoscopy comment. How deep were you?
    We were fishing around Anvil. In the morning the kokes were about 10 feet down, going to as deep as 70 feet in the middle of the day. That was a little surprising to me. The fish were all tightly schooled and when we would get one hit, we'd get 2, 3, or 4 at once. But, if you were 10 feet off to the side of the school, you got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by blwn31 View Post
    Could you explain the "Wyoming colonoscopy". I can only guess it has something to do with money.

Keith
    The multiple redundant inspections where they force me to drop my lower unit because I drove from Lucerne to Anvil on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Propnut69 View Post
    If this is true,and the OP is whining about paying more for the AIS sticker and the inspection.Then DON'T fish in Wyoming waters,no one is forcing you to fish on our side of the gorge.When is Utah going to wise up and start inspections for mussels on the Utah side of the gorge?
    Propnut, I have had a lot of respect for you for the time I've been on this forum. Honestly, I would expect a little bit more from you. I wasn't whining about the sticker. I don't even have a problem with an inspection. But, when you launch in the same water at Lucerne that you do at Anvil, both the money and the checks are a waste of the money we are contributing to keep the mussels out of the lake.

I'd also like to point out that the Constitution still applies in Wyoming. Wyoming has no right to prevent me from entering or traveling in Wyoming. I can drive my boat on the water from anywhere in Utah to anywhere in Wyoming at the Gorge and Wyoming can't do anything about that. Where's the protection? What's the point? It's like most government programs that are intended to make you feel like you are doing something without the substance of actually doing anything.

For a conservative state, you guys up there have a strange view of the 4th Amendment. It is blatantly unconstitutional for the state of Wyoming to demand that I open my boat and drop my prop for their inspection. They might as well walk into my camper and demand that I drop my pants for an inspection.

I urge you to consider what the "common good" really is and what that means. If the "common good" is that I have to invite the government into my personal and private spaces whenever it asserts a right to do so, without probable cause, there is no liberty left in this country.

These petty cross state battles are ridiculous. It's not our side and your side. We are all Americans. It's time we act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Take a deep breath Tim. He drove back and forth every day and just found it tiresome to have the inch by inch inspection done every day. If there is a tip around the "colonoscopy" for everyday launching, give the brother a tip. It's the second, third or fourth trip up the canal that gets raw.
    That's my point. I had receipts for an inspection in Evanston (where they locked my boat to my trailer!) and then another inspection at Anvil, followed by another inspection at Anvil, followed by another inspection at Anvil. In 2 days I had to be inspected 4 times because lunch was in Utah and fishing was in Wyoming. I had two receipts per day. How is that efficient? How is that protecting anyone? Because I could have driven to Red Fleet during lunch, launched my boat and come back 3 hours later to launch at Anvil?

It is the people that UNINTENTIONALLY drag AIS from one place to another that we need to worry about. You will never stop an INTENTIONAL AIS introduction. If you've been inspected 3 times already and you've been at the same lake for 2 days, there is no reason to have to drop your prop again, putting the constitutional issues aside and looking at this from an efficiency perspective.

"Propnut, I have had a lot of respect for you for the time I've been on this forum. Honestly, I would expect a little bit more from you. I wasn't whining about the sticker. I don't even have a problem with an inspection. But, when you launch in the same water at Lucerne that you do at Anvil, both the money and the checks are a waste of the money we are contributing to keep the mussels out of the lake.[B] You are right in the sense that all of the gorge water ends up in the same place[,but the smart money says that it will be a non inspected out of state boat that will infect the gorge. All it takes is for a few infected out of state boats that happen to slip through the cracks to bring mussels to the gorge/B]

I'd also like to point out that the Constitution still applies in Wyoming. Yes the constitution applies to Wyoming ,but the Wyoming State Constitution says that Wyo has the responsibility to protect it's resources also. Wyoming has no right to prevent me from entering or traveling in Wyoming. I can drive my boat on the water from anywhere in Utah to anywhere in Wyoming at the Gorge and Wyoming can't do anything about that. If you really believe this to be true,then why do you buy the IS sticker? Do you think that you won't get a ticket if you don't have a sticker? Let me know how that works out for you. Where's the protection? What's the point? It's like most government programs that are intended to make you feel like you are doing something without the substance of actually doing anything.

For a conservative state, you guys up there have a strange view of the 4th Amendment. It is blatantly unconstitutional for the state of Wyoming to demand that I open my boat and drop my prop for their inspection Tell that to the person that is doing your boat inspection,and see how that goes over.. They might as well walk into my camper and demand that I drop my pants for an inspection.

I urge you to consider what the "common good" really is and what that means. If the "common good" is that I have to invite the government into my personal and private spaces whenever it asserts a right to do so, without probable cause, there is no liberty left in this country.

These petty cross state battles are ridiculous. It's not our side and your side. We are all Americans. It's time we act like it Usually i would agree with you here,that most of the time it is petty BS. But until the state of Utah (that has infected waters) requires boaters to do more then take a on line test and fill out some worthless paper,Wyoming will have no choice but to be proactive at trying to stop mussels from getting into Wyoming waters. .

It's funny how a fishing report turns into a political discussion. There are plenty of sites where you can talk about the constitution, and it's laws. I don't think a Kokanee fishing forum is the place. I for one would like to see some fishing talk, techniques, spots, pics, etc. this happens all the time on some other boards. It rarely happens on this one. Yhe next time someone complains about something the best thing to do is to not reply. It will go away quickly. Now lets go fishing !!!

hey propnut no disrespect to you but ut. does have an agressive mussel inspection program. and i hope like hell that these programs will stop the spread of this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncat1 View Post
    hey propnut no disrespect to you but ut. does have an agressive mussel inspection program. and i hope like hell that these programs will stop the spread of this problem.
    I know Utah has a aggressive program at Lake Powell,and I'm very thankful that they do but Utah does not have a very aggressive program for the Utah side of the gorge .do they?

"Propnut, I have had a lot of respect for you for the time I've been on this forum. Honestly, I would expect a little bit more from you. I wasn't whining about the sticker. I don't even have a problem with an inspection. But, when you launch in the same water at Lucerne that you do at Anvil, both the money and the checks are a waste of the money we are contributing to keep the mussels out of the lake.[B] You are right in the sense that all of the gorge water ends up in the same place[,but the smart money says that it will be a non inspected out of state boat that will infect the gorge. All it takes is for a few infected out of state boats that happen to slip through the cracks to bring mussels to the gorge/B]
    Blaming a problem that doesn't exist on Utah rings a little hollow when Burbot were illegally introduced into the Gorge from the Wyoming side. Wyoming Game and Fish has admitted as much.

Have you had your boat inspected at one of the check stations? They didn't check my trolling motor or my electric motor any of the times I was inspected. They didn't ask about livewells. They didn't ask about my truck. You're living in a fantasy land if you think dropping the prop is going to make any difference in detecting microscopic mussel veligers.

I'd also like to point out that the Constitution still applies in Wyoming. Yes the constitution applies to Wyoming ,but the Wyoming State Constitution says that Wyo has the responsibility to protect it's resources also. Wyoming has no right to prevent me from entering or traveling in Wyoming. I can drive my boat on the water from anywhere in Utah to anywhere in Wyoming at the Gorge and Wyoming can't do anything about that. If you really believe this to be true,then why do you buy the IS sticker? Do you think that you won't get a ticket if you don't have a sticker? Let me know how that works out for you. Where's the protection? What's the point? It's like most government programs that are intended to make you feel like you are doing something without the substance of actually doing anything.
    So are you telling me that you think Wyoming's responsibility to protect it's resources outweighs the right of the people to be secure in their papers and effects? Without explaining the Supremacy Clause to you, let's say that Wyoming decides that Wyoming needs to protect its residents from illegal drugs. So, Wyoming passes a law that gives the Wyoming Highway Patrol the power to stop every car at border entrances and search it for illegal drugs. Do you think that is ok?

How would you like it if Utah or Colorado put a surcharge on anyone from Wyoming flying out of the Salt Lake or Denver airport? How would you like to pay a tax for the right to enter another state?

If I had a little more time, I'd file a lawsuit to fight all of this. I wrote a paper on it in law school. I expect someone will file a lawsuit before too long. I buy the sticker because it is easier than fighting in federal court. If and when I decide to fight it, you bet I will be trying to get a ticket.

For a conservative state, you guys up there have a strange view of the 4th Amendment. It is blatantly unconstitutional for the state of Wyoming to demand that I open my boat and drop my prop for their inspection Tell that to the person that is doing your boat inspection,and see how that goes over.. They might as well walk into my camper and demand that I drop my pants for an inspection.
    I did, every time I was inspected. I also made it clear that I was doing it voluntarily but that I believe I have the right to refuse under the 4th amendment. The guys at the ramp are trying to feed their families. They didn't write the laws. They don't need me to hassle them.

You tell me Propnut, if Wyoming can demand to search anything it wants whenever it wants to, what's to stop them from walking into my camper and making me dropping my pants for an inspection. I'm serious. Answer that.

These petty cross state battles are ridiculous. It's not our side and your side. We are all Americans. It's time we act like it Usually i would agree with you here,that most of the time it is petty BS. But until the state of Utah (that has infected waters) requires boaters to do more then take a on line test and fill out some worthless paper,Wyoming will have no choice but to be proactive at trying to stop mussels from getting into Wyoming waters. .
    Utah does mandatory boat washes at all of the supposedly infected waters when exiting the water. Educating the public on how NOT to transport AIS is far more valuable than searching every boat 4 times in 2 days.

As responsible citizens each state has its own complaint system which is filed thru their perspective state representatives. This annual bashing event or finger pointing is like a bad weed growing in the yard. This thread is now closed.