Thread: American lake 4-30-13

Default American lake 4-30-13

Well, I just couldn’t resist the temptation to join Jerry for an excursion on American Lake. I donated a paddle for the next time his batteries die. The batteries died just after an hour of using the electric motor. The big motor didn’t start but he had purchased a 8 horse Yamaha that started after a few pulls. It charges the battery. So we got all that nasty stuff out of the way in the first hour and he didn’t have to use the paddle.

I can’t remember all we caught but it was a pretty good day. His biggest trout was 16 inches, mine was 14 inches. Several small kokanee caught in the time I fished 8am to 1:30pm.
    I was using my last year go to of Dick Nite Pink Splatter dodger and Pink Splatter Sqiddy Thing. Jerry was using his favorite Dick Nite Watermelon dodger and his pink splatter squid and Mylar blade. Jerry caught the most and biggest fish. I may have caught up with him on the amount but he did have the biggest cutthroat. On my second rod I put a Dick Nite Watermelon dodger since Jerry was doing well with it. I started to catch up to him by putting my gear further back on the downrigger clip. We were going 40-50 feet back.
    We had numerous missed fish. This seemed more prevalent towards noon. Also they went about 10 feet deeper when the sun got over head. We caught fish between 20 and 30 feet down at varied depths. I did have one fish on as I was clipping the line into the release. I started bringing it in hand over hand as Jerry was telling me that I would have the line all tangled up and so I let him hold the line and fish while reeled the line up. It got away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	american 4-30-13  catch.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	6187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My big cutthroat sz.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	6188  

Toni, way to get it done!

Great pics!
    The Angler formerly know as "DBfield"

Nice Job Toni and that is one healthy looking fish !!!!!