Thread: flaming gorge report

Default flaming gorge report

Here is a report from Fishinfrenzy from this last weekend (for some reason he couldn't post it)

We finally got everything put together on the boats last Saturday and got ready for Sunday’s first fishing for the 2013 season. Headed out at first light in search of the kokes. First fish of the morning didn’t take long at all, and was it ever a delightful surprise! Love that pull on the rod, and as we got in into the boat, we both looked and said WOW!!! Nicest start of a season as we measured the koke at 23 inches, 4 pounds – 11 ounces. Picked up a few more kokes, not near that size, and about a dozen 15 to 17 inch rainbows, and 10 laker pups. Not too bad at all for the first outing. Most of the action was on Kokanee Creek’s Hot Damn behind a Moki dodger at 10 feet down, and my favorite, the Black Pearl behind a Shatterred dodger at about 15 feet down. See you all out there soon…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG200.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	6142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG201.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	6141  
    I just know stuff...

that was a great way for us to start the season dave hopefully not a jinx with that class of fish as 1st in the boat also by the way no praise for the netter LOL

A 4lb 11ozer? WOW, that nice this early in the season. Is this a sign of what there's going to be later in the season? Way to go guys, hope to see you there sometime.

You're right Only Child...it's always a pleasure to fish with my good friends, and even better when they know how to net the fish. We'll be doing it again very soon.

I hope the rest of your trips start with fish that are that big!
    Take a kid fishing make some reel memories!

Very nice start! Can't wait to get down to try for some kokes and rainbows.

Nice fish!!! He definetly wintered well......
    Mack's Pro Staff

I went up Saturday 6/01/13. Tried for Lakers early in the morning along grindstone, no luck. Spooled it up and rigged for kokes. We went up by the pipeline and tried the pink squid like people were saying, along with a purple/green squid on the other pole that did well last year. Right out of the gate the purple/green caught the biggest koke of the day, then nothing. The total pink picked up a couple. I switched the purp/green to a crappie tube I snelled a hook into, hot pink with a white skirt. Then it just got crazy. We did a figure 8 through the area where we had caught the bigger fish. Every pass picked up fish. We (my son and I) limited out in about 1.5 hours and only boated about 1/3 of the fish we had on. It was kind of odd. They would swim right at us until they saw the boat and then the fight was on. If we didn't reel like crazy to keep the line taught when they ran at us, we would lose them. All in all, a great day.

Sounds like some of what we were seeing this weekend as well. Pink was still doing well as was the Black Pearl, but a Pink Double Trouble Squid behind a Shattered dodger was the ticket for the weekend. We ended up with a couple of nice 3 1/2 pound jokes and a few pushing 3 pounds. And what an awesome weekend for the weather.

petty what is the black pearl you mentioned in your early post

Hooked4life, petty posted that one for me. The Black Pearl is from Kokanee Creek Tackle Company. Its a splatter blade spinner ahead of black and white beads and can be found by clicking their add located on this forum, or google the company name. Its been my favorite lure for a few years. We just got home from the Buckboard Derby at Flaming Gorge where Art, owner of KCT just took first place with a 4.08# koke. As with every tournament, I always have a Black Pearl on at least one of my four down riggers, but could'nt catch better than a bunch of 3 to 3.6# kokes. Be sure to check out the Double Trouble Squids and the Spoons as the have been producing quite well this season too. I normally run my Black Pearl behind either Silver Streak or Shatterred dodgers, also from Kokanee Creek Tackle Company. Good luck

Thanks for in info. I'll order some and see how they work here in Idaho. Someday I really want to make the trip to the Gorge. It has been over 34 years since my dad and I have fished it. I didn't know about Kokanee at that time, just rainbows. Thanks for the help.