Thread: Best voltage on downrigger wire for catching kokes? What to do if too low?

Default Best voltage on downrigger wire for catching kokes? What to do if too low?

I managed to test the voltage on my downrigger wire yesterday, It was varying between .51 and .52 volts. That seems a bit low to me, for catching kokes, but I'm not sure. And I don't know if adding an extra zinc bar or two would help bring it up? And suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Denny

It sounds like you have cannons with ion control. What you have is a neutral setting.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

Ok so I'm lost with this one I need voltage going through my DR to incress my catch rate? What happen to put line in water drag up and down the lake reel in fish and go again. Now I need voltage and zinc bars this kokanne fishing is getting out of control I might need to switch over to catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Rrogers View Post
    Ok so I'm lost with this one I need voltage going through my DR to incress my catch rate? What happen to put line in water drag up and down the lake reel in fish and go again. Now I need voltage and zinc bars this kokanne fishing is getting out of control I might need to switch over to catfish
    Oh when times were simpler. LOL!

As a rookie to this I read it and went..." CRAP!!! Voltage on my rigger??? what's my voltage..what do I need???" Then reality hit me...get the basics down before worrying about the advanced stuff..
    Last edited by KokeRook; 04-16-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Species Voltage

Sockeye Salmon .750 volts
    Kokanee Salmon .650 volts
    Halibut .450 volts *
    Laketrout (Mackinaw) .650 volts
    Rainbow & Brown Trout .650 volts
    Cutthroat Trout .650 volts
    Black Bass .750 volts *
    Sharks .400 volts *
    Striped Bass .650 volts *
    Sturgeon .500 volts *
    Catfish .500 volts *

Thanks superD
    I'm thinking I'm just hooking my riggers up straight to my generator that should call um in.

Ok after reading and learning im now in the market for a black box any imput on what box I should get. I have also learned that I need to change out my weights to coated ones bare lead one are not a good from what I understand is this correct.
    Thank any help on the would be great hate getting the wrong stuff.

SuperD

Thank you for the help. I have cleaned off the scum from the zincs on the motor and talked with a guy at Pro Troll Black Box site. He told me to also check the voltage at 70 feet deep instead of 10 feet which is what I did yesterday. So next time I'm out on the water I'll try it again at 70 feet and see if there's a difference.
    Denny

Ok after reading and learning im now in the market for a black box any imput on what box I should get. I have also learned that I need to change out my weights to coated ones bare lead one are not a good from what I understand is this correct.
    Thank any help on the would be great hate getting the wrong stuff.
    Aluminum boats tend to put out a hotter field surrounding the boat vs. glass. Make sure all of your electrical connections are clean, cleaning the white powdery substance on occasion that accumulates on the zincs helps. I don't use rubber coated weights but if you suspect hot weights, a cheaper route would be to install the rubber snubbers between end of the DR cable & weight. My catch percentage seems to be just fine without a blackbox. There are those who experienced the blackbox and believe in them, I haven't had any sign to tell me I need one. But my options remain open.

Roger, tell me if I'm wrong but I think your Walkers have a water continuity auto stop like Cannons? Those riggers aren't suited for black boxes as one loses the auto stop with the black box system. They work great for Scotties.

Strike Zone, what is your current trolling system?

I have cannon manual down riggers on a 2012 crest liner 1700 super hawk.

I'm thinking I'm just hooking my riggers up straight to my generator that should call um in.
    Hey, I've got an idea... Take 24volts DC and hook posative to one DR cable and negative to the other. This should stun them as you troll through the schools but I don't think Fish and Game would have a favorable view of this strategy.

All this technology for catching fish with the brain the size of a Pea. Oh when times were simpler.

I have cannon manual down riggers on a 2012 crest liner 1700 super hawk.
    Okay, you are a candidate for a black box. BUT! The next time you are out with the boat, take your multi meter with you to measure your base output. This is done with the positive lead on the downrigger cable and the negative lead to a ground. (Could be the neg. post of your battery if you are unsure) There are many of us that fish without a box and do just fine. So, don't feel compelled to shell out the cash until you know what your current, current actually is.

Thanks superD I will post my current output next time out

I have two scotty downriggers and do just fine without any black box.

Thanks Lund troller
    I Did well last yr but always looking for ways to increase my catch.

SuperD
    I fish from an all aluminum Lund 1650 Renagade. I have 2 Scotty electric down riggers. One has braided line on it and the other has stainless line. That's the one (stainless) I measured the voltage on. I measured it at 10 feet deep. One lead was on the DR cable and the other was on the aluminum gunnel.I was using a rubber bungee between the snap at the end of the cable and the lead stick weight. The boat is a 2011 model so it shouldn't have any electrical problems. It measured .51 volts. I did clean the zincs last night on the motor so I am going to measure the voltage again next time I am on the water and also lower the weight to 70 feet to see if there is any difference in the reading.. I'll let you know what I find out next week.
    Strike Zone

I have found that the kokes like Judas Priest. Thats how i attract the fish.

I just dangle my feet in the water. Leaves a scent trail the fish can't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    I just dangle my feet in the water. Leaves a scent trail the fish can't resist.
    Can you market that? Or does the scent change daily?

You really don't need a black box unless your boat tests hot, over .65. If it's under .65, it isn't necessary to mask bad stray currents.

That being said, I do think having the correct current can increase your catch rate.
    "The Fish Whisperer" 21' Alexis Classic Thunder Jet

I checked my natural voltage before buying the black box and my rig checked good at under .65. But figured what the heck the Pro Troll unit is under $100.00 and if it will help catch extra fish, I'll give it a shot. I've used it for about a year and it hasn't hurt but can't say that it's helped either so the jury is still out.

one thing when you are checking your voltage make sure you have every thing on. ff.chart plotter, lights,raido wippers,main and trolling motors,bilge pump etc. that way if the voltage is high start tuning things off to see what circuit is bad and repair or if it is around 5.1 to 5.6 you have a pretty nurtrial boat I have the protroll and use it mostly to check the boats voltage and then set it to 6.4 to 6.6 it hasen't hurt but I look at it as another tool. also clean your zinks the ones on the boat and motors and don't forget the ones inside your motors before you test. dfly