Thread: Do you have an alarm system to protect your gear?

Default Do you have an alarm system to protect your gear?

This topic came up recently in another forum when a fisherman got his boat cleaned out while it was beached during the night.

I often camp with my boat beached and 99% of the time I can see it from camp, but that does little good while sleeping. So far, my anwer has been to pack everything out of the boat and lug it up to camp, but that is a real pita, especially putting it all back in the next morning.

There are also those time when you stay in a motel, same precautions, take everyting into the room at night.

The question is do any of you use an alarm system for these situations? To my way of thinking the perfect alarm would not only sound an audible alarm to chase the punks away, but an alert to me in camp/motel that something has tripped the alarm?

I have looked a several alarm sites, but very few systems are appropriate for our size boats. I did find one that looked appealing although a little on the expensive side. Steal Armor produces a small, portable alarm that can be used in the boat or a lot of other places, it has a sensitivity adjustment, audible alarm and an alert via a key fob. http://www.stealarmor.com/
    It costs about the same as a good downrigger, but may be worth the $$$ in the long run. No, I am not promoting this product, just reporting what I found.

I also heard of a good system marketed as poseidon alarms but could not locate any information on it.

Any have an alarm system or experience with them?
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

I have a battery powered motion sensor pointed at my boat along side my house. The alarm head plugs in at my nightstand by my bed. When I'm camping, I just lean more on my insurance policy.
    2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, 21' North River Seahawk

How about something like this?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=789154

This may scare them off, but would not alert or wake me from my slumber.
    David
    A recent study has proved that women that carry a little extra weight have a much longer life expectancy than the men that point it out....

Why not, doesn't the pocket device alarm too?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
    Why not, doesn't the pocket device alarm too?
    After rereading it I guess it does. I am still concerned on two fronts. A motion detector in a boat that may start rocking in the wind during the night, and the range of the signal to the pocket unit.
    David

Years ago, I used to go to moab and I had a soft top jeep, I always worried about my c.b. radio and other things. I would use one of the cheap personal alarms the kind that had a pull lanyard, and put some fishing line on it and hook it over the inside door handles with just enough slack to be able to slide it on and off, I never had it go off at night, but at least I could sleep . I'm going to get another to use on my boat its a tj with a soft top, so I will hook it onto the zipper so if someone unzips the top it will pull the lanyard, sonar and vhf radios, make a good c.b. look cheap! I'm sure one could be attached to anything like a fishing pole tackle box or cooler. It would be fun to watch the reaction. When a 140 db alarm went off,
    Last edited by saltrunner75; 01-10-2016 at 06:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC]

saltrunner, thieves don't unzip or unbutton anything, it takes too long. I have a full button cover and the thieves used razor knives on the canvas.

That really suck, I didn't know that had happened to you, guess I need to look for some kind of proximity alarm, or a Rottweiler....
    [SIGPIC]